U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,314,764 times

Advertisements

when I was young I took all the numbers in genesis as unquestionable facts but then I learned that the Septuagint uses completely different numbers.
(and there are other versions too)

I now see the numbers more as hints pointing us in the right general direction but not to be taken too literally.

Having studied it I have concluded that the flood of Noah was probably the same as the flood of Atlantis which was also the same as the flood of Ogyges (Gog?)

According to plato the war of atlantis was 9000 years before the time of Solon.

Ancient Greek flood myths - Religion-wiki

The Ogygian flood is so called because it occurred in the time of Ogyges, a mythical king of Attica. The name "Ogyges" and "Ogygian" is synonymous with "primeval", "primal" and "earliest dawn". Others say he was the founder and king of Thebes. In many traditions the Ogygian flood is said to have covered the whole world and was so devastating that Attica remained without kings until the reign of Cecrops.
Plato in his Laws, Book III, argues that this flood had occurred ten thousand years before his time, as opposed to only "one or two thousand years that have elapsed" since the discovery of music, and other inventions. Also in Timaeus (22) and in Critias (111-112) he describes the "great deluge of all" as having been preceded by 9,000 years of history before the time of his contemporary Solon, during the 10th millennium BCE. In addition, the texts report that "many great deluges have taken place during the nine thousand years" since Athens and Atlantis were preeminent.
The theory of the flood in the Aegean Basin proposes that a great flood occurred at the end of the Late Pleistocene or beginning of the Holocene. The Holocene is a geological period that began approximately 11,550 calendar years BP (or about 9600 BCE) and continues to the present. This flood would coincide with the end of the last ice age, estimated at approximately 10,000 years ago, when the sea level rose as much as 130 metres, particularly during Meltwater pulse 1A when sea level rose by about 25 metres in some parts of the northern hemisphere over a period of less than 500 years

Last edited by granpa; 03-28-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 PM

40,058 posts, read 29,245,561 times
Well, thank you for setting the record straight.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,130,378 times
That's about the timeline I figure as well. Imo the sphinx is a lot older that what is commonly accepted and the water damage bears witness to this. This is just my opinion of course that works for me.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 PM

32,590 posts, read 7,899,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That's about the timeline I figure as well. Imo the sphinx is a lot older that what is commonly accepted and the water damage bears witness to this. This is just my opinion of course that works for me.
Surely not 10,000 years old. The idea that there was a very big flood or perhaps several (giving rise to half the world having a flood myth) at the end of the ice age is a quite reasonable one, though linking it with Noah or any other flood myth is less reasonable. But I'll need a lot of persuading that the Sphinx is any earlier than the Old Kingdom let alone predating the predynastic.

A p.s I just had a quick look and the pyramidiot fad seems to have spread to the sphinx with links to the best - forgotten Edgar Cayce speculations about secret tunnels and claims about water erosion and calculating an early date for the interior rock of the Sphinx, but nothing that looks like decent evidence - instead lengthy complaints about orthodoxyAuthorityEstablisghmentConspiracy failure to swallow these claims unsupported. So I'll be looking for some better evidence than rehashed Dainiken nonsense.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-28-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,130,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Surely not 10,000 years old. The idea that there was a very big flood or perhaps several (giving rise to half the world having a flood myth) at the end of the ice age is a quite reasonable one, though linking it with Noah or any other flood myth is less reasonable. But I'll need a lot of persuading that the Sphinx is any earlier than the Old Kingdom let alone predating the predynastic.
I will work on this. I need to look into it to futher for my own personal enhancement. I do not attempt to teach the flood story to the young ones but I do believe the sphinx, Grand Canyon and some other geological findings are evidence for a global flood.

Quote:
A p.s
Instead of p.s. it should read spoiler alert .
Quote:
I just had a quick look and the pyramidiot fad seems to have spread to the sphinx with links to the best - forgotten Edgar Cayce speculations about secret tunnels and claims about water erosion and calculating an early date for the interior rock of the Sphinx, but nothing that looks like decent evidence - instead lengthy complaints about orthodoxyAuthorityEstablisghmentConspiracy failure to swallow these claims unsupported. So I'll be looking for some better evidence than rehashed Dainiken nonsense.
Well at least you're open for any new any info so that's good.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 PM

588 posts, read 546,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
The theory of the flood in the Aegean Basin proposes that a great flood occurred at the end of the Late Pleistocene or beginning of the Holocene. The Holocene is a geological period that began approximately 11,550 calendar years BP (or about 9600 BCE) and continues to the present. This flood would coincide with the end of the last ice age, estimated at approximately 10,000 years ago, when the sea level rose as much as 130 metres, particularly during Meltwater pulse 1A when sea level rose by about 25 metres in some parts of the northern hemisphere over a period of less than 500 years
My first time ever to come across a healthy view about the flood in a forum!

Nic Flemming, Senior Scientist at the Southampton Oceanography Centre wrote:All scientists and archaeologists who have studied this problem have concluded that the Flood Myth does refer to the cumulative memory of the post-glacial sea level rise

His article can be found here: The Official Graham Hancock Website: Underworld

Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 20,994,950 times
That's an interesting viewpoint, one I have not heard before.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 AM

That would be an interesting discussion, but attempts to link with the Noah story (other than as a derivative of just one of the flood legends arising from a folk memory of the ice- age floods) would be a waste of all our time since Eusebius, despite efforts that would earn him a medal, if the Creationists struck one, has surely allowed us to show that the biblical flood - myth is not worth a moment's credence.

The sphinx interior may be geologically old if it is based on a chunk of natural rock, but the erosion seems very arguable as being water erosion and predating Egyptian civilization.

Always looking for some evidence of an advanced civilization earlier than anything we imagined (it would be fascinating ) , but it needs better support than (I can see them waiting their cue) the Piri Reis map or Cayce's failed predictions of Atlantis rising again.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,164,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
the sea level rose as much as 130 metres, particularly during Meltwater pulse 1A when sea level rose by about 25 metres in some parts of the northern hemisphere over a period of less than 500 years
How high is Mount Ararat? Well over 130 meters I reckon...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
How high is Mount Ararat? Well over 130 meters I reckon...
"Mount Ararat .... is a snow-capped, dormant volcanic cone in Turkey. It has two peaks: Greater Ararat (the highest peak in Turkey, and the entire Armenian plateau with an elevation of 5,137 m/16,854 ft) and Lesser Ararat (with an elevation of 3,896 m/12,782 ft)." (Wiki)

I doubt that even Eusebius could argue that an Ararat of under 130 m could grow to its present height over the last few thousand years. Even if there was a post Ice- age meltwater flood, it did not cover all the land, let alone all the mountains. A real ancient flood would only undermine the Bible account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality