Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,909,146 times

Advertisements

My problem with the idea of God being truly 'angry' is that it implies FRUSTRATION on his part. The OT clearly seems to suggest God is frustrated, regretful at human beings for the wrong decisions they make. It implies a powerlessness on his part.

If he KNOWS the eventual outcome, of his victory, then why all the wasted anger?

How can anger be compatible with an omnipotent God? Let alone eternal anger?

The belief I've always stuck with is that God didn't truly feel anger, at least any type of anger we're familiar with. And that the appearance of God's anger or any emotion deviating from his default of Love is to teach us human beings a lesson. A show by God of disapproval of our actions pushes us onto the right path.

I believe in a just God...God may hate evil, but usually if we're in TOTAL control of something, we don't usually get angry from it. If we were to write a program and it went wrong, if we get angry it's at ourselves for making the mistake. We don't go 'stupid program, why did you screw up like that!' Is God's anger actually at Himself? But then that would negate his omnipotence.

I just find the idea of God being as a person - with human emotions, yet all seeing, all knowing, all present - oxymoronic. Humans feel the way we do PRECISELY because we are frustrated by limitations! Does God make a show of all his emotions? I do feel his love is real, but there's an inevitability about it too. If we follow the natural order of things, how can God HELP but love us? If we stray, God chooses to hate us since he set the parameters. He certainly has the RIGHT to loathe us, but this raises questions about whether he is really loving or not.

Maybe it's easier for someone with a more emotive view of the world to accept than myself, but I think a re-assessment of the way we view God's wrath, particularly as it relates to the OT and detractor's criticisms of the character of God in the OT is useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,352,860 times
"With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steve Weinberg.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
"With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Steve Weinberg.
I can name many examples of evil committed in the name of 'righteous anger' by the irreligious.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,922,913 times
God's anger in the Old Testament is in direct relation to the law He covenanted with Israel. They agreed to do the whole law and He agreed to bless them should they do all the law. Should they fail they agreed to the curses of the law.

God had to show them His displeasure with their not keeping the law so they would know they were not able to keep it. They needed a Saviour. So it was not due to God being frustrated but He had to have a means of showing the Israelites His displeasure with their failure in keeping their part of the deal (i.e., "covenant").

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
God's anger in the Old Testament is in direct relation to the law He covenanted with Israel. They agreed to do the whole law and He agreed to bless them should they do all the law. Should they fail they agreed to the curses of the law.

God had to show them His displeasure with their not keeping the law so they would know they were not able to keep it. They needed a Saviour. So it was not due to God being frustrated but He had to have a means of showing the Israelites His displeasure with their failure in keeping their part of the deal (i.e., "covenant").
Interesting...so maybe his purpose was to show the futility of human efforts to reach God?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,922,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting...so maybe his purpose was to show the futility of human efforts to reach God?
The futility was that Israel had to learn that the flesh was impossible to do the law. (see Romans 8).

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,108 times
My biggest question about bible god. WHY is he so pissed if he's so "perfect" and if we are chips off the old block, and he knows ALL, then why does he pop his cork whenever the humans do what he KNOWS they will do ????? MY god never had a foul moment. I like my god.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,247,282 times
anger is not always a sign of frustration.
it can be righteous opposition to something very wrong especially injustice and cruelty.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,791,355 times
When an old prophet of old stood on a mound and proclaimed "God is angry with all of you"...what he meant was...I am angry with all of you...It's always been that way..people speaking for God....when they actually speak for themselves...God does not need middle men...other than say Jesus..and I never heard him say that the father in heaven is angry...He said God like a great father loves you no matter what.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,247,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When an old prophet of old stood on a mound and proclaimed "God is angry with all of you"...what he meant was...I am angry with all of you...It's always been that way..people speaking for God....when they actually speak for themselves...God does not need middle men...other than say Jesus..and I never heard him say that the father in heaven is angry...He said God like a great father loves you no matter what.
no he was for the most part an honest guy, he meant what he said no interpretation necessary.
i disagree they do need someone to say it bek unlike moses, we are deaf dumb and blind to the messages God sends to us daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality