Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

From the United Methodist Portal:

Reverend Tom Tate said he's always looking for a good message for the church sign, unless it is needed to advertise a church event.

But this week’s message has exponentially exceeded any other in response.

“It has touched a reservoir for people in a way that is very surprising for me,” Mr. Tate said.
Is it still there? I'm surprised the church hasn't been torched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 PM

278 posts, read 357,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Humanity will be destroyed by neither -- the sun will not begin to cool until after it has vastly increased its radius and radiant energy. The oceans will evaporate and the Earth become a cinder long before it is pulled into the sun.
Ok then, the world will be consumed by fire. The problems with these predictions is that they are so vague. Death by fire is a pretty common one in mythology.

Now if the bible was a little more specific, e.g. death by volcanic blasts, death by expansion of the sun, death by gamma ray bursts, death by solar flare, death by nuclear Weapons, etc then I would seriously consider it. Plus any more detailed would be great.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
Where do I begin?

Personhood
morals and ethics
logic
language
design
beauty
love
consciousness
There is something rather than nothing
The origin of the universe
The fine tuning of the universe for life
Objective moral values and duties
The historical facts surrounding the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus
Peoples personal testimony and experiences with God

Did I miss anything?
The last one you mentioned has to do with faith. That can't be proven. Any other religion can lay claim to those listed above it. Morals is what your parents should of taught you.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,622 times
Quote:
Where do I begin?

Personhood
morals and ethics
logic
language
design
beauty
love
consciousness

Did I miss anything?
The problem with these examples is that they only provide proof that there are things that we as humans can't fully explain. While they do well to point out things that could be explained by the existence of God, they don't quite get there on their own. This is the problem that both sides of the argument face. There is no definitive proof for or against the existence of God. When tracing the origins of the universe even by accepted scientific theories, we reach a point that seems to be beyond explanation. The problem with that is the fact that just because we don't know how or why something is what it is, doesn't mean that we can just chalk it up to God. Throughout human history, things that could only be explained as acts of the gods have one by one been found to have non-supernatural explanations. Lighting was thrown from the skies by an angry Zeus until we understood what actually caused it. The real reason that makes this an unwinnable argument for both sides is that no matter how strongly you believe one way or another, the best evidence for both sides is that the opposition can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're right.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:29 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
I would like theists to list some evidence they have for God existing. I will rough up each one a little bit to see the strongest ones and them make threads about each individually.

If I don't get any, then I will try to help start the conversation by proving some well-known ones.
The existence of woman. Only a Supreme Being could create something as drop-dead gorgeous as woman. I mean, come on!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 974 times
Quote:
Where do I begin?

Personhood
morals and ethics
logic
language
design
beauty
love
consciousness

Did I miss anything?
yes. conscience. but love should be above all. your conscience is the proof the Holy Spirit still dwells on you. reading the atheists posts though. it is evident they have NO conscience and thus the Holy Spirit has left them. for good, I hope. they are hopeless cases.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Ok then, the world will be consumed by fire. The problems with these predictions is that they are so vague. Death by fire is a pretty common one in mythology.

Now if the bible was a little more specific, e.g. death by volcanic blasts, death by expansion of the sun, death by gamma ray bursts, death by solar flare, death by nuclear Weapons, etc then I would seriously consider it. Plus any more detailed would be great.
What about the Daniel prophecy given 490 years before Christ came and it gave the exact date of His appearing once the word went forth to rebuild Jerusalem in Nehemiah's day? If that prophecy is true, and I believe it is, then we must believe there is a God for it proves He is the only true Messiah Who could fulfill that date and God raised Him from the dead. That is the whole reason for Christianity . . . an empty tomb, a victorious Saviour.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

399 posts, read 581,684 times
I always have and always will believe in God, but proof of his existence is subjective, to me. The day he spoke to me, was the day I KNEW he is real and I don't need any more proof or evidence than that.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM

140 posts, read 132,763 times
Quote:

Their skin will be consumed before the bones hit the ground! I suggest you seriously consider that 2,000 year old statement by Peter!

The bible is very specific - Ezekiel chapter 38 - The horses will be standing in blood up to their bridles; It will take the house of Israel 7 months to gather the dead (enemies) It will take seven years to burn all of their wooden weapons.

1/3rd of the earth will be burnt by fire 1/3 of all people by diseases from birds & animals.

I could go on and on and on and on!

No one is without excuse - some just ignore the truth and make lame excuses!

Search the Scriptures (find out how many times that is said throughout the whole book)

Find out why it was quoted:

Search the scriptures as for hidden treasure as it states in Proverbs chapter 2 You will be surprised by what you discover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality