Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, to be fair, this is an issue for politics and government. How is the U.S. government supposed to pay for national health care for all Americans? The national debt is already as high as GDP. If something isn't corrected, then we're going to go bankrupt soon.
I'm glad you asked that question

1) end war
2) stop the empire building
3) close many of the military bases through out the world, I believe there are about 1000 of them. Why do we still have troops in Germany, Japan, Korea etc. and we just sent troops to Australia and are opening up more bases.
4) cut the total military budget which is over a trillon dollars a year in half.
5) cut corporate tax loopholes.
6) cut corporate subsides to the oil companies etc.
7) cut subsides to corporate farmers.
8) have the rich pay their fair share of taxes.
9) no more bank bailouts

Now with all the money that we have left over we can help save people from losing their homes, help people that are struggling with student loans and offer free college.
Feed and clothe the poor, no american in this country should be forced to live on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post

1) end war
3) close many of the military bases through out the world, I believe there are about 1000 of them. Why do we still have troops in Germany, Japan, Korea etc. and we just sent troops to Australia and are opening up more bases.
4) cut the total military budget which is over a trillon dollars a year in half.
9) no more bank bailouts

Now with all the money that we have left over we can help save people from losing their homes, help people that are struggling with student loans and offer free college.
Feed and clothe the poor, no american in this country should be forced to live on the street.

Hand outs for everyone! Get them while they're hot.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
"Pro-life" is a very smart way to say "anti-abortion." Frankly, I still think most "pro-life" people are deeply really "anti women-having-sex-without-paying-to-play", because they usually aren't out on the ramparts advocating for sex education and birth control info. Of course, they also like to ignore the many many married women who do not want a pregnancy just because they are married.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Pro-life" is a very smart way to say "anti-abortion." Frankly, I still think most "pro-life" people are deeply really "anti women-having-sex-without-paying-to-play", because they usually aren't out on the ramparts advocating for sex education and birth control info. Of course, they also like to ignore the many many married women who do not want a pregnancy just because they are married.
"playing"? Is that how you look at a serious matter such as sex? Thats exactly whats wrong with the mentality of people now-a-days. Your pregnant? Meh..... go ahead and just get an abortion, it's ok to take an innocent life. Before you get your feathers ruffled I should mention that I'm pro-choice, but also think the issue of abortion is a serious one and should not be made light of. To tell the youth that "it's ok if you are promiscuous, you can just get an abortion" is sending the complete wrong message and downplays the seriousness of abortion and sex itself. As far as "paying to play" yes, there should absolutely be consequences to ones irresponsible and wreckless decisions.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I was referring to the old wives' kind of saying about women, "If you want to play, you've gotta pay." I am personally not in favor of people having careless sex and thinking, oh, I'll just get an abortion, but I do recognize that people have varied kinds of sex lives, varied activities, and whether married or not, there are birth control failures, human error/carelessness, and people who do not want a pregnancy under their current circumstances whether married or not.
It would be pretty difficult to have panels of judges deciding if a woman "deserved" an abortion or if she had been careless or already had one in the past or whatever. From an ethical point of view, there will be "free riders," people who do exactly that- be careless because they can always get an abortion. As distasteful as that is to me and many other people, it is more distasteful to make abortion impossible for the many other people who have their reasons for having an unwanted pregnancy.
And yes, I still do think that "pro-lifers" do really have a distaste against sex, with the image of "Sex in the City" women balling around and having an abortion before their manicure and after their pedicure. It isn't like that, or if it is for some few people, so be it, for the choice of the greater public.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
I think each person has to decide for themselves if they want an abortion. how can anyone else decide someone should have a child they don't want or can't care for? Having that child is punishing a person, two people at least, for something...so in some cases it's better if that child is not born. Each case is different and we can't say this is rule for everyone. Who are we to judge? and who are we to lay down the law? let everyone make their own choices.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I think each person has to decide for themselves if they want an abortion. how can anyone else decide someone should have a child they don't want or can't care for? Having that child is punishing a person, two people at least, for something...so in some cases it's better if that child is not born. Each case is different and we can't say this is rule for everyone. Who are we to judge? and who are we to lay down the law? let everyone make their own choices.
Punishing the child as well.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
right, that's why I added "two people at least"

Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post

1) end war
9) no more bank bailouts

We, unfortunately, are the world's police. Cutting the military would be like cutting the police force in Detroit. What do you think the outcome would be?

The subsidies to oil companies actually serve to lower the price of gas and natural gas. Be prepared for higher prices and higher prices for goods...hey, wait....why not just pay for the health care you want????

The rich already do pay their fair share in taxes. We have a stepped system that insists that the rich should pay a higher percentage and then we cry foul if they take a tax write off. How about a flat tax. Everyone pays 10% of what they earn, period. No write offs...If you did this, you could shrink the size of the IRA. Tax code would be simple. You earned, it, you pay 10%. What's wrong with our system isn't that the rich don't pay enough, it's that the bottom 50% (not sure on this percentage but it's high) don't pay anything and many get money back they didn't pay in because of write offs, tax credits, etc, etc, etc... I call this welfare. I have no problem with welfare but you should be applying for welfare not getting tax dollars back you never paid in. Sorry but the problem is on the other end of the income spectrum. As long as we insist that a small percentage of the population pay the way for the rest, we'll never have enough. We need a system everyone works to support.

Actually, what I favor is elminating the income tax all together and going to a value added tax. Every step of the way, a tax would be added to goods including a final sales tax. The price of goods would be higher but we'd keep all of our income and would not be taxed on money we choose to save for the future. This system would also result in all criminals and those here illegally paying taxes because the taxes would be baked into everything they buy. I'll agree that the tax code needs an overhaul but the problem isn't write offs for the rich. They're already pulling more than their weight as things are and, given what a small percentage of the population they are, they cannot pay the bill for all of us. The solution is to get the bottom half chipping in. Where you need to stop tax loop holes is people who get money back they never paid in. Our tax system should not be a welfare system.

I'll agree on the bank bail outs and add corporate bail outs. Let the strong survive and the weak die. It's better to have 2 or 3 strong companies survive than to have 5 or 6 limping along due to bail outs. The ones with better practices will survive and should survive.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No, pro life is valuing life. Pregnancy is a temporary condition. All you have to do to get un pregnant is wait 9 months. You don't have to keep the baby, you don't have to raise the baby, you don't have to care about the baby. Abortion punishes the baby with its life. What does it say about a culture that kills it's own children in the most vulnerable stage of their lives? What does it say when you prey upon the weak just because you're bigger and stronger and can? I'm pro life because I believe life has value. Plain and simple. I'm very much pro woman. I don't have to be pro abortion to be pro woman. I can be both pro life and pro woman.

Either life has value or it doesn't. There is no middle ground here. All of us were once like the embryos and fetuses what will be terminated today. We don't matter more because our moms let us have our lives....at least we shoudln't but we're self centered to the point that we'll kill another human being just for being inconvenient to us. What does that say about our culture?

Personally, I think we should solve this once and for all by sterilizing every child then setting a legal age for parenthood at which the procedure can be undone at government expense. This would be much cheaper than our current welfare system but it's too big brotherish to ever happen.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-08-2012 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality