Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM

166 posts, read 140,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Really! Perhaps you have different scriptures to everyone else.

"Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas?" (Matthew 13:55). Check also... Gal 1:19; Jo 2:12; Jo 7:3-5.

The man-god's brothers are mentioned in several other Bible verses.
Matthew 12:46.
Luke 8:19.
Mark 3:31 say that his mother and brothers came to see Him.

Your Bible also claims, in Matthew 13:56 that your man-god had sisters, but they are not named or numbered. In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival while Jesus stays behind. In Acts 1:14; His brothers and mother are described as praying with the disciples. Galatians 1:19 mentions that James was Jesus’ brother.

Now I'm sure that you will claim that they were not brothers, but 'cousins' but cousin is 'anepsios' whilst brothers is 'adelphoi' In the above verses it's written "adelphoi" in the original Greek.

I'm sure that you will also try to claim that in the Semitic language the word for brother was the same for cousin.

I don't know why I'm bothering as you have already been given some of the above verses earlier by Capt Dan and ignored it. You also ignored the question I put to you in post #96. Do you make a habit of ignoring people?

Im sorry I could not answer sooner, however I dont get to the internet too much. Joseph was an elderly widower at the time he was betrothed to Mary. He already had a family and thus was willing to become the guardian of a virgin consecrated to God. The stepbrother hypothesis was the most common explanation of the brethren of the Lord until St. Jerome popularized the cousin hypothesis just before the year 400.

The stepbrother hypothesis is also supported by the fact that Joseph apparently was significantly older than Mary, as he appears to have died before our Lord's public ministry began.

We are all brothers and sisters of and in The Lord our God.

Sarah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I forgot to thank you Rafius, I am so used to you chewing on me, I neglected to see you funning with me.

....and post 101??

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah888 View Post
Im sorry I could not answer sooner, however I dont get to the internet too much. Joseph was an elderly widower at the time he was betrothed to Mary. He already had a family and thus was willing to become the guardian of a virgin consecrated to God. The stepbrother hypothesis was the most common explanation of the brethren of the Lord until St. Jerome popularized the cousin hypothesis just before the year 400.

The stepbrother hypothesis is also supported by the fact that Joseph apparently was significantly older than Mary, as he appears to have died before our Lord's public ministry began.

We are all brothers and sisters of and in The Lord our God.

Sarah.
I would rather post on the Noah's waste disposal thread than discuss this stuff, but I have to observe that the only reason to suggest that Joseph was an old guy with a family, already and was Mary's guardian rather than husband and the 'brothers and sisters' of Jesus were really cousins, or half- siblings, is to prop up this virgin birth idea.

Without that, Joseph was the sort of husband one would expect a nice Jewish girl to be betrothed to, Jesus was her first - born son (born in the natural way) which implies that the others were her second, third and fourth- born children and Joseph was their father. Which is actually what the Gospels say and fiddling them to try to make them say something else is just translation - tinkering to try to make the later theological god- man beliefs work.

When it comes down to it, there in no reason for anyone who has not already bought it, to buy any of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I would rather post on the Noah's waste disposal thread than discuss this stuff, but I have to observe that the only reason to suggest that Joseph was an old guy with a family, already and was Mary's guardian rather than husband and the 'brothers and sisters' of Jesus were really cousins, or half- siblings, is to prop up this virgin birth idea.

Without that, Joseph was the sort of husband one would expect a nice Jewish girl to be betrothed to, Jesus was her first - born son (born in the natural way) which implies that the others were her second, third and fourth- born children and Joseph was their father. Which is actually what the Gospels say and fiddling them to try to make them say something else is just translation - tinkering to try to make the later theological god- man beliefs work.

When it comes down to it, there in no reason for anyone who has not already bought it, to buy any of it.
Hear! Hear! Nothing but apologist tripe from sister Sarah.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,590,271 times
Quote:
....and post 101??

Don't quite know yet, still thinking on it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Hear! Hear! Nothing but apologist tripe from sister Sarah.
HEY! I dont believe in everything Ms. Sarah writes here either. But I will fight for her right to believe it and share it! So be nice!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
HEY! I dont believe in everything Ms. Sarah writes here either. But I will fight for her right to believe it .....
So would I - but it wouldn't alter the fact that all she has posted so far is apologist tripe. Her...or some other apologists 'interpretation' into what she WANTS the Bible to say rather than accepting the actual words that it DOES say.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Jesus' conception did not involve Joseph or any other human. the Gospel of Matthew, the Gospel of Luke, tells us this. Matthew 1:25: "But he [Joseph] had no [sexual] union with her until she gave birth to a son..." (NIV)

Also, all of your mainstream protestants profess this. Its the non-denominational sects that do NOT profess the whole word of God and or the bible.

Sarah

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
So would I - but it wouldn't alter the fact that all she has posted so far is apologist tripe. Her...or some other apologists 'interpretation' into what she WANTS the Bible to say rather than accepting the actual words that it DOES say.

The basis for the belief in the Immaculate Conception of Mary can be found in the Biblical revelation of holiness and the opposite of that state, sinfulness.
God is revealed as perfect interior holiness. Is 6:3 "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts!" they (the Seraphim) cried one to the other.
No sin or anything tainted with sin can stand in the face of the holiness of God. "Enmity" is that mutual hatred between Mary and sin, between Christ and sin. Gen 3:15 I will put enmity between you (the serpent, Satan) and the woman (Mary), and between your offspring (minions of Satan) and hers (Jesus); He will strike at your head, while you strike at his heel.
For the birth of God as a human being, God was interested in the condition of the mother's womb. For even a great, but imperfect, judge of Israel, Samson, God was directive about the state of the mother during the pregnancy. The request for the mother to be pure is repeated for emphasis. Judges 13:3-4 An angel of the LORD appeared to the woman and said to her, "Though you are barren and have had no children, yet you will conceive and bear a son. Now, then, be careful to take no wine or strong drink and to eat nothing unclean." Judges 13:7 "But he (the angel) said to me, 'You will be with child and will bear a son. So take neither wine nor strong drink, and eat nothing unclean. For the boy shall be consecrated to God from the womb, until the day of his death.' " Judges 13:13-14 The angel of the LORD answered Manoah, "Your wife is to abstain from all the things of which I spoke to her. She must not eat anything that comes from the vine, nor take wine or strong drink, nor eat anything unclean. Let her observe all that I have commanded her."
How much more would God be interested in the state of His own mother's womb!
The salutation of the Angel Gabriel is different from the usual angelic greeting. It indicates that Mary was exceptionally "highly favored with grace" (Greek: charitoo, used twice in the New Testament, in Lk 1:28 for Mary - before Christ's redemption; and Eph 1:6 for Christ's grace to us - after Christ's redemption). Lk 1:28 And coming to her (Mary), he (the angel Gabriel) said, "Hail, favored one (kecharitomene)" Eph 1:4-6 (God) chose us in him (Jesus), before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him. In love he destined us for adoption to himself through Jesus Christ, in accord with the favor of his will, for the praise of the glory of his grace (echaritosen) that he granted us in the beloved.
Note that the angel's salutation preceded Mary's acquiescence. Mary was already highly favored. God's grace was not given in time after Mary accepted the angel's word. The Church believes that this grace was given from the very beginning of Mary's life. It is clearly grace because at the time of Mary's conception she could have done nothing to earn it. The constant faith (paradosis) the holiness of the person of Mary to bear in her body the most holy person of the Son of God.

Sarah

Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 AM

"Thus the early Church historian J. N. D. Kelly, a Protestant, writes, "[W]here in practice was [the] apostolic testimony or tradition to be found? . . . The most obvious answer was that the apostles had committed it orally to the Church, where it had been handed down from generation to generation. . . . Unlike the alleged secret tradition of the Gnostics, it was entirely public and open, having been entrusted by the apostles to their successors, and by these in turn to those who followed them, and was visible in the Church for all who cared to look for it.."

Sarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality