Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
It always made me wonder why those who think they are "possessed" only seem to be of the Catholic faith. Why is it that a Southern Baptist has never needed an exorcism???? Or a Hindu, or a Muslim, or an African Tribesman, or someone of any other religion. Why is the devil picking on the Catholics?
Picking on the Catholics are we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 04:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Picking on the Catholics are we?
No, I just made an observation... it seems to me that if it were real than it would affect people of more than just the Catholic faith.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
No, I just made an observation... it seems to me that if it were real than it would affect people of more than just the Catholic faith.
I think it was the movie "The Exorcist" that started that theory! Trust me, there are probably puhlenty of protestants in need of deliverance too, Troop!:

Old 09-14-2007, 05:05 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:

I own a book written by a man who was allowed to attend some exorcisms. He was also permitted to obtain a recording of them.
Believe me when I tell you, this book cannot be read without a Bible right next to you, and much prayer.
In example in this book at least, most of those that requested the exorcism were not catholic.
Before the Church will consider an exorcism, the individual must see many doctors and therapists. Mental and physiological illness must be ruled out as the cause.
They are very rare. My old spiritual director was our archdiocese's excorsist.
He was a very simple, but tough as nails old Jesuit, and I loved him dearly.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
It always made me wonder why those who think they are "possessed" only seem to be of the Catholic faith. Why is it that a Southern Baptist has never needed an exorcism???? Or a Hindu, or a Muslim, or an African Tribesman, or someone of any other religion. Why is the devil picking on the Catholics?
Oh, GCS, TRUST me, I have personally known of and seen many outside of the Catholic faith. Baptists included! The Catholic stories have simply been the most widespread and "Hollywoodized".

Old 09-14-2007, 05:20 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times
It's funny these demons only bother you christians. They never bother the atheists. I wonder how come? We should be easy marks, right? No protection against their oogy boogy power. Weird.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
So does he exist? is satan realy out there? are demons as realy as you and me? above all do you really really get people possessed with other entities. I am a christain, but my western mind rejects the reality of a devil with his crew actively striving to destroy the Lords plans for my life. personally i dont believe in blaming this devil for the struggles i have, most of them i have concocted. but could it be that i am wrong? that there are other powers at work among us. whats your take on the devil?
There has got to be somebody to blame life's problems on so somebody back in the early days came up with a devil. "The devil made me do it" was a favorite phrase back in the 70's. People today still blame the red guy with the horns.
It all comes to not taking responsibility for ones actions and learning to blame things on someone else. The moral of the story is, look in the mirror and that is who you can blame.
Yes, the Bible says there is a devil but our parents told us there was a tooth fairy and Santa Clause too. Fictional characters are for fantasy.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Oh, GCS, TRUST me, I have personally known of and seen many outside of the Catholic faith. Baptists included! The Catholic stories have simply been the most widespread and "Hollywoodized".
Now I'm waiting for a catholic to respond and say that everyone is possesed and going to hell except us.
Next will be a baptist to respond and say everyone is possessed and going to hell but us.
The list goes on and on and on........

Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
It's funny these demons only bother you christians. They never bother the atheists. I wonder how come? We should be easy marks, right? No protection against their oogy boogy power. Weird.
oogy boogy oogy boogy
The red guy with the horns will visit you in a dream tonight and possess you. When you awake in the morning, you will have the desire to step into a church and take up the collection plate full of money and go on a nice vacation.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Here's a link that asks this question...

Why is demon possession a strictly Christian phenomena? - Yahoo! Answers

Why is demon possession a strictly Christian phenomena?
While in Judaism, however, there is no belief in a supernatural evil and no belief that demon possession is possible?

Rabbi Peter Rubenstein from New York’s Central Synagogue, says, “… Every human has two inclinations, one to do evil and one to do good…. Our hope is the individual tries to access the inclination to do good. There is a balance." But, he said, evil is done "when we enter that other side.”

So where did this whole "demon possession" phenomena come from? If Jews never had it, and still don't have it, then it can't be from their god. To my knowledge, there's never been an agnostic or atheist that has ever felt the need to have their kids exorcised. Same with the Pagans and Wiccans and Buddhists and Heathens. As far as I know, only people with a christian background are affected by demon possession, or even believe in it.

Why wasn't there ever any demon possession in the Old Testament? Is it just another christian invention used to scare people into believing?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Christians seem to have their own ideas of and relationship to Satan and devils and demons. Other religions have ideas of spiritual possession, either by gods or spirits, such as the spirits of the dead (Jewish folklore -dybbuk) (Voodoo- possession by a loa or deity). This can be good or bad. In the Bible Saul consults a "witch" who "channels" info from I believe a dead person to answer his question.

And from...

Demon Possession & Exorcism - What's the atheist's view ...

In my debate with Peter S. Williams, he told me that demon-possession can make people levitate.

The UK's Leading Atheist Page - Debates

'Numerous incidents of levitation have been recorded in Christianity and Islam. . . incidents reported among the Roman Catholic saints includes the incident of Joseph of Cupertino (1603-1663). . . Saint Teresa of Avila was another well known saint who reported levitating. . . One eyewitness, Sister Anne of the Incarnation, said Saint Theresa levitated a foot and a half off the ground for about half an hour. . . Incidents have also been reported in the religions of Hinduism and Buddhism. . . During the Middle ages and Renaissance levitation. . . was said to be an unusual phenomena generated by. . . demons. Even to the present levitation is often thought to be involved in cases of demonic possession. Many times beds, tables, chairs and other objects have been witnessed flying through the air apparently by themselves. They frequently aimed themselves at the exorcist or his assistants. . . Skeptics of levitation have come up with several theories as to its cause including hallucination, hypnosis, or fraud. These theories are not applicable to all incidents, however.'

If demons are real, then one might very well think them capable of causing levitation.'

The UK's Leading Atheist Page - Debates

''A twenty-four-year-old girl was admitted to a psychiatric clinic, claiming that she was possessed. She was showing some of the traditional signs of possession, for example the ability to speak in a foreign language of which she had no previous knowledge, and an unusual knowledge of events.'

The question is should demon-possessed people be allowed on Jeopardy, where they might well receive outside influence in answering the questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality