Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times

Advertisements

We have the freewill to do his work for him or not. I think we have the ability to create our own evil without the aid of satan or his angels, even though they exist. Freewill allows us to accept or reject good and evil. If a person accepts evil he must accept responsibility for it..I have never seen a person possessed by demons, I am sure there may be remote cases. I have never witnessed an exorcism and am not sure I even believe in exorcism.. I think the mind is a powerful thing and can be used in ways that we don't understand yet, but someday will. Years ago people thought epileptics were demon possessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:05 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Those were entertaining links jeffncandace. Oh, and there was this ridiculous gem:
'there is a collapse of the intellectual grounds for holding an atheist position.' (Varghese 1984, p128) because of the philosophical, scientific, and ethical evidence for the existence of God."
Really? What happened in 23 years? That evidence got misplaced or something?
I'd also like to hear how Hume and Kant's theories are defective.

It was crafty how Williams crafts the ending. He says non-believers want evidence, he gives hearsay stories as evidence, non-believers naturally have a problem with the evidence, then he says they can't accept the evidence because they've already made up their minds. Crafty. Completely transparent to an objective observer but crafty for solidifying the faith of the believers because.... say it with me... they already made up their minds. Because? Faith. Nice.

Stephen Carr makes a nice comment - "The question is should demon-possessed people be allowed on Jeopardy, where they might well receive outside influence in answering the questions?
I agree the last comment is funny. But I don't know anymore about those links than you, I simply Googled them and posted them for the sake of discussion.

Quote:
Oh, and I swore I saw the tooth fairy when I was about 6.
Really? Or just being facetious? I myself know what I saw. I take some flack for it but that's okay. I think there is a reason not yet known to me as to why I got a glimpse of the other side. I understand your need to ridicule.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:29 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I agree the last comment is funny. But I don't know anymore about those links than you, I simply Googled them and posted them for the sake of discussion.

Really? Or just being facetious? I myself know what I saw. I take some flack for it but that's okay. I think there is a reason not yet known to me as to why I got a glimpse of the other side. I understand your need to ridicule.
I believe you. Pure evil is no laughing matter.

For the skeptics, forget about religion. Forget about demons.

Imagine all that is good, all that is beautiful, all that is creative. Evil is the absence of that, the description of which, I'll leave up to you.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:49 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times
Default Tooth Fairy, Rorschach Tests and Language

I awoke and the door was cracked open with light coming in from the hall. My bleary eyes saw a blurry shape in the glow and I took that to be the Tooth Fairy and quickly tried to go back to sleep so I could get a quarter.

I can understand believing you saw something, especially at a very young age, and being convinced to believe. I unravelled the Santa thing by 4 yet I held on to the Tooth Fairy myth for years because of this half awake moment.

Now presented with something unexplainable, our brains naturally force interpretation and meaning. That's the whole point of Rorschach tests (the ink blots). How you interpret the images is a window into your mind. Perhaps if I had that "vision" on a night I wasn't looking to get a quarter from the Tooth Fairy, it would have gone wherever millions of other memories have gone in my head from that age that are virtually unretrievable now, but THAT night I had motivation for shaping it, to give a very profound answer to that Rorschach test.

The human mind is an amazing thing. We not only interpret the world around us and think in certain ways because of our beliefs, knowledge and experiences but also our languages. Those of us who speak English I feel are lucky because we have so many words to describe so many different things. Thank the French, or specifically the Normans who conquered England and infused the bland language there with French. Asians are thought to have a creative edge though because their language is pictorial, incorporating more right brain use. Perhaps this served the Egyptians in their early rise and dominance.

Well I went all over here, but my point is, aside from answering jeffncandace's question about my Tooth Fairy story, that humans interpret what they see and experience with their minds, which rely on things like language and beliefs to form those interpretations.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I awoke and the door was cracked open with light coming in from the hall. My bleary eyes saw a blurry shape in the glow and I took that to be the Tooth Fairy and quickly tried to go back to sleep so I could get a quarter.

I can understand believing you saw something, especially at a very young age, and being convinced to believe. I unravelled the Santa thing by 4 yet I held on to the Tooth Fairy myth for years because of this half awake moment.

Now presented with something unexplainable, our brains naturally force interpretation and meaning. That's the whole point of Rorschach tests (the ink blots). How you interpret the images is a window into your mind. Perhaps if I had that "vision" on a night I wasn't looking to get a quarter from the Tooth Fairy, it would have gone wherever millions of other memories have gone in my head from that age that are virtually unretrievable now, but THAT night I had motivation for shaping it, to give a very profound answer to that Rorschach test.

The human mind is an amazing thing. We not only interpret the world around us and think in certain ways because of our beliefs, knowledge and experiences but also our languages. Those of us who speak English I feel are lucky because we have so many words to describe so many different things. Thank the French, or specifically the Normans who conquered England and infused the bland language there with French. Asians are thought to have a creative edge though because their language is pictorial, incorporating more right brain use. Perhaps this served the Egyptians in their early rise and dominance.

Well I went all over here, but my point is, aside from answering jeffncandace's question about my Tooth Fairy story, that humans interpret what they see and experience with their minds, which rely on things like language and beliefs to form those interpretations.

There are sober intelligent adults, who feeling just fine, have walked into a room and have been "attacked" by pure evil. Reason and logic go out the window. What is up is down, what was good is bad, what was bad is good, there is utter confusion. When they walk out of the room, they are back to normal ( as much as is possible after that experience ). Every time they walk back into the room, the same experience, until the evil leaves, or is in the case of an excorsism, forced to leave.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:58 AM

I'd like to visit that room.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I'd like to visit that room.
I thought I did too.

I thought I'd like to see a tornado up close a personal too (be kinda neat), until I spoke to someone I trust who did.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Yep! There's no difference between being assaulted by someone who is possessed or by someone who thought he was possessed.

And when it comes to court they'll plead an insanity defense anyway.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Quote:

Yeah, that's all well and good, but my experience was vastly different. No one told me I saw, I told them.

Here is a link describing one story:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/846187-post23.html

Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 AM

That's all well and good. Next time you see them, tell them to flyby here.

Oakback, wanting to be in a tornado is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality