Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times

Advertisements

Rodney Wilson holds master's degrees in history and religion and teaches both at a community college in Missouri. His book, Killing God: Christian Fundamentalism and the Rise of Atheism, is based on his graduate thesis and is available on Amazon.

Killing God*|*Rodney Wilson

From the article's conclusion:
Time is running out on conservative Christianity in America. It must change. If its adherents don't "put their swords away," they will kill God in America. And this time there won't be a resurrection.

I must admit, reading the article, much of what is said there is reflected here in these forums, and perhaps those that came from the fundie side to become atheists can comment on the major points raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times
Don't know the guy, haven't read the book and didn't click the link - but I long ago came to the same conclusion.

Christian Fundamentalism is impotently bellowing its last as it sinks into the tar sands of irrelevance.

I'm eating popcorn and enjoying the music.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:08 AM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Fundamentalists will deny that these 1,600 "former true believers" were ever anything of the kind. Standard circular reasoning dictates that true believers never stop being true believers and so by definition aren't true believers.

I was certainly shocked when I lost MY true belief. And for a time I was cowed into the closet myself.

I don't see fundamentalists giving this any thoughtful consideration, or even reading it. It's of the devil, obviously.

Instead fundamentalism will continue to hemorrhage people like myself until it is the province of fringe conspiracy theorists. That is how it will be "saved" ... one "soul" at a time.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,136,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Rodney Wilson holds master's degrees in history and religion and teaches both at a community college in Missouri. His book, Killing God: Christian Fundamentalism and the Rise of Atheism, is based on his graduate thesis and is available on Amazon.

Killing God*|*Rodney Wilson

From the article's conclusion:
Time is running out on conservative Christianity in America. It must change. If its adherents don't "put their swords away," they will kill God in America. And this time there won't be a resurrection.

I must admit, reading the article, much of what is said there is reflected here in these forums, and perhaps those that came from the fundie side to become atheists can comment on the major points raised.
So now it's because "fundamentalists" are mean. OK. Gotcha. Yay.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:14 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,381,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So now it's because "fundamentalists" are mean. OK. Gotcha. Yay.
No, it is because fundamentalists spout their ignorance and hatred to anyone who will listen, and people (especially people around my age and younger) are realizing how crazy it all is. They are tired of you guys trying to deny rights to people, and spread your hatred and ignorance for all who aren't Christian. You are a dying breed, and for this I am grateful.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
No, it is because fundamentalists spout their ignorance and hatred to anyone who will listen, and people (especially people around my age and younger) are realizing how crazy it all is. They are tired of you guys trying to deny rights to people, and spread your hatred and ignorance for all who aren't Christian. You are a dying breed, and for this I am grateful.
First of all, we aren't "denying rights" to anyone.

Second of all....do you believe that people would embrace Christianity more if we never said that anything was sinful?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Second of all....do you believe that people would embrace Christianity more if we never said that anything was sinful?
No, but I believe that if you used common sense, common courtesy, and empathy instead of an outdated, unproven, erroneous book that is thousands of years old and written by primitive men, they might.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
No, but I believe that if you used common sense, common courtesy, and empathy instead of an outdated, unproven, erroneous book that is thousands of years old and written by primitive men, they might.
Right. OK.

So....to what end? What do you think the goal of Christianity is? Do you think our goal is just to put butts in the pews and have big attendance numbers?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,450,410 times
Quote:

It would help if the most of things Christianity said were sinful actually made sense.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Right. OK.

So....to what end? What do you think the goal of Christianity is? Do you think our goal is just to put butts in the pews and have big attendance numbers?
No. I don't claim to know what your goal is, as I am not Christian. Your goal should be to help people, and love thy neighbor and whatnot. It shouldn't be all about condemning people and trying to convert others. It shouldn't be telling everyone that they are going to hell regardless of how they live their lives if they aren't your sect of Christianity.

Point is, people aren't buying into fundies BS anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality