Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:36 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
No. Thanks for asking anyway.
Ok, well DM is always available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 03:53 PM

91 posts, read 210,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
That's not where I wanna go with my question, so please give your comments. I'm Catholic, and just recently in the past few years started going back to church. I live in a community where almost everyone is Baptist. They are always asking me to come to their church for activities and to worship with them. I really just want to know what is the major differences in our religions. Is it ok for me to go to my church on Sunday and go to another's church during the week?

Also, thanks Jeff for your new version!!
Well I and my children are LDS but one night during the week they go to a youth club at a non denominational church. We have a lot in common with them but we have differences too. Where there are differences my girls just agree to differ with their friends. They don't get into a big heated debate or anything about it.

I suppose it depends whether or not you are comfortable, and mostly if you are comfortable enough in your own faith. I've had people say that you shouldn't go to any other church but personally I would feel that was being very narrow minded and maybe that's what gets some people a reputation of being 'holier than thou'. I would worry though if I went somewhere else and they were constantly trying to convert me.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Smile No Problem!

Quote:
That's not where I wanna go with my question, so please give your comments. I'm Catholic, and just recently in the past few years started going back to church. I live in a community where almost everyone is Baptist. They are always asking me to come to their church for activities and to worship with them. I really just want to know what is the major differences in our religions. Is it ok for me to go to my church on Sunday and go to another's church during the week?

I would say to go where you feel you are being spiritually fed and challenged. Go where you feel comfortable--but that doesn't mean go where you feel you can be complacent. Just go where you feel it fits you. If that is the Catholic church, then I say go there.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:

I think it is ok to go to other churches and check them out. You don't have to join to go. I am Catholic and lived in TX for awhile and went to Baptist church I don't remember which Baptist it was (aren't their different ones?).
This family that I got to know had 2 sons that were pastors (is that right for Baptist) they were how Christians should be. I have to yet meet anyone like this family they did not judge, gossip any of it ( they would say we will pray for them and hope that they find their way kind of stuff just an amazing family) Very very religious too.
I will tell you if you are use to the hell fire and damnation sermons of the Catholic you will be amazed at the difference. The first time I went I could not get over the quiet tone. I was use to the drama of the Catholic services.
So go you might just like it.
Good Luck.... Let us know what you think if you decide to go. Please.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:33 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:

There are some differences, I'm sure, but if you let your Baptist friends know that you've been going to a Catholic church and they still invite you to there church without any pressures to convert you, I would go and try it out. That would be a change and you can see how they believe. However, if they pressure you and tell you you're going to hell unless you become a Baptist, I would stay away.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
will tell you if you are use to the hell fire and damnation sermons of the Catholic you will be amazed at the difference. The first time I went I could not get over the quiet tone. I was use to the drama of the Catholic services.

Wow, quiet in a Baptist church?
I was raised Baptist and the pastors were very dramatic and loud with sermons.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:37 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I think it is ok to go to other churches and check them out. You don't have to join to go. I am Catholic and lived in TX for awhile and went to Baptist church I don't remember which Baptist it was (aren't their different ones?).
This family that I got to know had 2 sons that were pastors (is that right for Baptist) they were how Christians should be. I have to yet meet anyone like this family they did not judge, gossip any of it ( they would say we will pray for them and hope that they find their way kind of stuff just an amazing family) Very very religious too.
I will tell you if you are use to the hell fire and damnation sermons of the Catholic you will be amazed at the difference. The first time I went I could not get over the quiet tone. I was use to the drama of the Catholic services.
So go you might just like it.
Good Luck.... Let us know what you think if you decide to go. Please.
Wow. I never thought Catholic sermons were "hell fire and damnation". I always thought it was the Baptists and Pentecostals that were like that. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something about your post.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:14 PM

91 posts, read 210,084 times
I've been to Catholic and to Baptist services and here the Catholics were the quiet laid back ones and the Baptists were all hell fire and damnation with the pastor banging the pulpit and declaring that sinners would 'burrrrrrrn' in the 'Fiyerrrs of Hellll'

Old 09-15-2007, 06:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
It all depends, I think. I have been to many different churches and even within denominations they differ from congregation to congregation.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 PM

766 posts, read 528,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
will tell you if you are use to the hell fire and damnation sermons of the Catholic you will be amazed at the difference. The first time I went I could not get over the quiet tone. I was use to the drama of the Catholic services.

Wow, quiet in a Baptist church?
I was raised Baptist and the pastors were very dramatic and loud with sermons.
I am thinking the same, I have been Catholic my entire life and it is very quiet and laid back compared to the Bapist churches.Catholic churches teach about forgiveness and such, I have never heard of damnation at church!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality