Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yea, Dr. King was right when he said "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." But I have never been a follower, and I can go about my day without a head full of willful ignorance and absurd superstitions.
You mean The REVEREND Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., don'tcha Ash?

You know...the guy that went to Crozer Theological Seminary, got a degree in "Divinity", and was a Baptist Church Minister...and was one of the most influential people to ever live.

Obviously a guy that you would consider as being "willfully ignorant", believed in an "imaginary friend", and subscribed to "bronze age superstitions". Right?

Run down a list of 100 guys that were influential toward the betterment society on the level that Rev. King was.
Now note how many were Theist, compared to how many were Atheist.
THAT will let you know where Atheism stands as far as having any meaning on society.

See?...it boils down to Ad Pop!! The TRUE determination of WHAT MATTERS.
Not to be confused with "What is Logical", "What Can Be Empirically Proven" and other similar things of comparatively insignificant consequence.
It is because of this fact that Atheists obsess way more about Religious than Religious will obsess about Atheists.
Those on the Undefeated Championship Team usually don't think much about the team that has never even come close to being in contention for a win. OTOH, the eternal losers will usually obsess a lot over The Champs.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
You seem to be filled with a lot of malice, or is it really that I should;
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Anonymous

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
― George Carlin

Old 04-23-2012, 05:59 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You seem to be filled with a lot of malice, or is it really that I should;
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Anonymous

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
― George Carlin

It is you who seem to be filled with a lot of malice, yea- obsessed with it.

I truly feel for you, in hopes that it one day stops eating away at you.

Peace.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
The Atheist is obsessed with religion because religion is its parent. Its like the rebellious child that views the parent as " No good", and blames it for everything it has befallen. Its simular to breaking away from a family and starting your own, yet always needing a negative view of your break away, in order to give you the motivation and strength to survive.
Do you actually know, personally, any atheists? Have you ever discussed any of these ideas of yours with any people who admit to having no religion?

Like I've said in other threads, I have known two or three like that. The ones I've known personally were absolutely, positively, NOT obsessed with religion. In a simple description, religion was not part of their lives in any measurable way. In order to discuss religion, somebody else would have to start the conversation because these folks would never bring it up. They would not argue either. If someone disagreed with them, their likely response would be a shrug.

I don't think you should make statements in the form of a factual declaration when you are only stating an opinion, particularly when you can't or don't provide any evidence to support your statement.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by GldnRule
Quote:
It is because of this fact that Atheists obsess way more about Religious than Religious will obsess about Atheists.
Maybe in the US of A but that generally is not the case in the rest of the world.
Especially here in the Netherlands being an atheist or theist is a non-issue.
Maybe the OP should change his topic to 'Why are American Atheists obsessed with religion? And some American relegious obsessed with atheism?

Quote:
Those on the Undefeated Championship Team usually don't think much about the team that has never even come close to being in contention for a win. OTOH, the eternal losers will usually obsess a lot over The Champs.
Every champion knows that he will lose 1 day.
But I guess that especially Christians regard themselves as eternal, because they believe their God is eternal and unchanging. The only eternal and unchanging god would be a dead god because only the dead have no need to change.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Do you actually know, personally, any atheists? Have you ever discussed any of these ideas of yours with any people who admit to having no religion?

Like I've said in other threads, I have known two or three like that. The ones I've known personally were absolutely, positively, NOT obsessed with religion. In a simple description, religion was not part of their lives in any measurable way. In order to discuss religion, somebody else would have to start the conversation because these folks would never bring it up. They would not argue either. If someone disagreed with them, their likely response would be a shrug.

I don't think you should make statements in the form of a factual declaration when you are only stating an opinion, particularly when you can't or don't provide any evidence to support your statement.

Most of the Atheist I know came from a religious backround, and left that church or religion, then became Atheist; religion was their parent. And I have read the same story from many Atheist here.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Most of the Atheist I know came from a religious backround, and left that church or religion, then became Atheist; religion was their parent. And I have read the same story from many Atheist here.
OK, but what you said was "The Atheist is obsessed with religion." Do you stand by that statement? Yes or No? It really doesn't matter if religious people deconverted. You said they are obsessed with religion. My friends' experiences indicate they are not. When I read posting elsewhere on City-Data I see many non-religious people posting (especially over in P&OC) that never post in this forum. I would think it is distinctly possible that a person could assume that a City-Data member obsessed with religion would be posting in the Religion and Philosophy forum.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
OK, but what you said was "The Atheist is obsessed with religion." Do you stand by that statement? Yes or No? It really doesn't matter if religious people deconverted. You said they are obsessed with religion. My friends' experiences indicate they are not. When I read posting elsewhere on City-Data I see many non-religious people posting (especially over in P&OC) that never post in this forum. I would think it is distinctly possible that a person could assume that a City-Data member obsessed with religion would be posting in the Religion and Philosophy forum.

I stand by everything I post. There are many obsessed Atheist and Theist as well, and theres absolutely nothing you can do about that. You can deny it, but you can't change the reality of it. You can twist what I have said, but you can't twist reality.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GldnRule Maybe in the US of A but that generally is not the case in the rest of the world.
Especially here in the Netherlands being an atheist or theist is a non-issue.
Maybe the OP should change his topic to 'Why are American Atheists obsessed with religion? And some American relegious obsessed with atheism?

Every champion knows that he will lose 1 day.
But I guess that especially Christians regard themselves as eternal, because they believe their God is eternal and unchanging. The only eternal and unchanging god would be a dead god because only the dead have no need to change.
Well, since you want to deal with the whole world, and most Atheists seem to be so hung up on what is "objective fact"...try this objective fact about the whole world:
Over the last five thousand years, taking the entire world and everyone that has ever lived into account...the score in the Theism VS Atheism contest is about 98(Theism) to 2(Atheism). And that is probably being generous to Atheism.

The Champ may lose someday...but I wouldn't suggest betting any money on it any time soon.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by GldnRule
Quote:
Over the last five thousand years, taking the entire world and everyone that has ever lived into account...the score in the Theism VS Atheism contest is about 98(Theism) to 2(Atheism). And that is probably being generous to Atheism.
So?
That only proves that the theists have far more to loose than atheists.
In Europe the churches are already running empty and the European Christians here don't know how to stop this.
So it wouldn't surprise me if the fear (or obsession) of theists is far greater than that of the atheists.
Heck only in America do Christians believe in Creationism, while the Evolution theory is a non-issue here in Europe.

Quote:
The Champ may lose someday...but I wouldn't suggest betting any money on it any time soon.
As a follower of Jesus I don't bet anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality