Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,577,646 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt in my mind that Atheist are the fastest growing pressence on religious boards. Many Atheist will claim that they are not a movement, but the internet begs to differ; there is an absolute Atheist movement occuring on many religious boards, and I doubt that this was a planned thing, but it is a real thing. Reality is a plan of itself!- Perhaps the greatest plan.

There are two reasons for this movement denied by many Atheist as being a movement- but it is active and now occuring; The Individual sites have allowed the Atheist to express themselves, rather than lock them out; secondly, the " Desire" of the particular Atheists to express themselves. As a comparrison- I see little difference in the Religious person who expresses their belief strongly, and The Atheists people who express their unbelief strongly. So the question why are some Atheist so obsessed with Religion, can conversely be asked of why some Religious people are so obsessed with Atheism?

The way either group goes at this is of intrest, and Why?

Many Religious people are obsessed with Atheism because they view unbelief as the impetus of " Doom for unbelievers", feeling that they are headed for some eternal suffering, they look to " Turn them." At the core of this, giving religious people the benefit of doubt, they are concerned with the Atheist, more than bitter unconcern. They really care! Obviously there are some religious people who no longer care, its every human for themselves.

Conversely, there are many Atheist who view belief in gods as man made myths, and see many negatives poured into society and individuals who have these beliefs. Some of them really care about this, and some don't- its every human for themselves. And some Atheist want to " Turn this around."

The back and forth of this perculiar dynamic is a thing to behold.

The Theist has enjoyed a particular dominance on religious boards for some time, but that is changing. Now they only dominate where the Atheist pressence is controlled or simply not allowed. Some boards simply have resorted to " Sectioning them off", into their own areas, and allowing them to mix in others.

The obsession with belief and unbelief is quite strong, just as strong as the obsession to express oneself in groups. Although its not a game, I am reminded of " Chess"; one side moves against the other in a stratigic plan of dominance. To rule the board and win the case.

But obession is not a game, it is a very real driving force, a movement undenied! Your moving your peice because of your desire to win. Denied obsession is power misdirected. Power flowing underneath the lack of confessed purpose. Hypocrites exist on both sides of the board.

People playing the game, but denying that they are playing. People who are serious, but accused of playing a game.

A most perplexing revolting development.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,545,482 times
You've found us out Mickiel!!
How are those cookies coming? lol

Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,984,777 times
Let's just face it: obsessions are all some people got left in (this) life.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM

33,495 posts, read 36,978,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Atheist are the fastest growing pressence on religious boards. Many Atheist will claim that they are not a movement, but the internet begs to differ; there is an absolute Atheist movement occuring on many religious boards, and I doubt that this was a planned thing, but it is a real thing. Reality is a plan of itself!- Perhaps the greatest plan.

There are two reasons for this movement denied by many Atheist as being a movement- but it is active and now occuring; The Individual sites have allowed the Atheist to express themselves, rather than lock them out; secondly, the " Desire" of the particular Atheists to express themselves. As a comparrison- I see little difference in the Religious person who expresses their belief strongly, and The Atheists people who express their unbelief strongly. So the question why are some Atheist so obsessed with Religion, can conversely be asked of why some Religious people are so obsessed with Atheism?

The way either group goes at this is of intrest, and Why?

Many Religious people are obsessed with Atheism because they view unbelief as the impetus of " Doom for unbelievers", feeling that they are headed for some eternal suffering, they look to " Turn them." At the core of this, giving religious people the benefit of doubt, they are concerned with the Atheist, more than bitter unconcern. They really care! Obviously there are some religious people who no longer care, its every human for themselves.

Conversely, there are many Atheist who view belief in gods as man made myths, and see many negatives poured into society and individuals who have these beliefs. Some of them really care about this, and some don't- its every human for themselves. And some Atheist want to " Turn this around."

The back and forth of this perculiar dynamic is a thing to behold.

The Theist has enjoyed a particular dominance on religious boards for some time, but that is changing. Now they only dominate where the Atheist pressence is controlled or simply not allowed. Some boards simply have resorted to " Sectioning them off", into their own areas, and allowing them to mix in others.

The obsession with belief and unbelief is quite strong, just as strong as the obsession to express oneself in groups. Although its not a game, I am reminded of " Chess"; one side moves against the other in a stratigic plan of dominance. To rule the board and win the case.

But obession is not a game, it is a very real driving force, a movement undenied! Your moving your peice because of your desire to win. Denied obsession is power misdirected. Power flowing underneath the lack of confessed purpose. Hypocrites exist on both sides of the board.

People playing the game, but denying that they are playing. People who are serious, but accused of playing a game.

A most perplexing revolting development.
The simple answer is that most of us are trying to lessen the damage that religion does to science, politics, the law, education and society in general...Oh, I forgot you are not talking to me. Is that because you do not like my opinions, or is it because I point out where you are mistaken?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM

120 posts, read 118,727 times
the ego need something to feed from.. it wants a separation so that it can be right to make someoen else wrong..
the ego is responsible for all of this nonsense.the ego is the false self- the person we think we are or that we need to be based on the standard and condtions of the world.. without this ego we would all be free to live and let live but somehow we have become attached to the ego and its beleifs and we fight over it with whatever subject we can.. no matter how silly it may be

Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 34,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The simple answer is that most of us are trying to lessen the damage that religion does to science, politics, the law, education and society in general...Oh, I forgot you are not talking to me. Is that because you do not like my opinions, or is it because I point out where you are mistaken?
Validating the OP I see...Just to let you know if it weren't for many contributions by Christians we would probably be a bunch of philosophers reasoning in circles stuck in the dark ages. So I don't get why atheists always post claims such as this one. Oh darn...I guess I just validated the OP too.

Last edited by SomeGuy0; 04-14-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemagician View Post
the ego need something to feed from.. it wants a separation so that it can be right to make someoen else wrong..
the ego is responsible for all of this nonsense.the ego is the false self- the person we think we are or that we need to be based on the standard and condtions of the world.. without this ego we would all be free to live and let live but somehow we have become attached to the ego and its beleifs and we fight over it with whatever subject we can.. no matter how silly it may be

I agree.

The obsession with our own ego will pervert our own beliefs and unbeliefs. I am right, I am right, and I am right all the time! The ego in humanity magnifys itself and seeks to shrink anything that goes against it; and will do so fervently.

Religion itself does not kill, fanaticism that incites hatred, violence and extremisim views does the killing. Religion gets the blame and the face of it; but the human ego is the true culprit- its obsessions. So obsessed that it would remove religion inspite of its overwhelming good, just to win a battle of obsessions. If you don't like something or agree with it - then kill it. Take the 90% of the good it did, and kill it along with the 10% that you don't like!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Would you care to elaborate on those "contributions by Christians"?

I am not Christian, but even I know some of their contributions to society;

The YMCA
The Christian Childrens fund
Hundreds of Christian Hospitals
Intercristo
Promise Keepers
World Relief
Remunda
Kellogg
Christian campus aid
International prision ministry
Hospice
Chick- Fil-A
Forever 21
Whole Foods
Toms of Maine
Tysons foods
Hobby Lobby
Service Master
Walmart
Herman Miller
Interstate Batteries
In and Out Burger

Just to name a few. It is just as much an error in spirit for Atheist to flame out that Theist have done no good, as it is for Theist to claim so about Atheist. It is obsession that premetes predujice!

Last edited by Mickiel; 04-14-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,971,216 times
I actually agree, in part, to the OP. I find myself obsessed with the topic of religion, not because it is something I stumbled into a few years ago, but because it was a deeply embedded part of my life for 35 or so years. For the first 14 years of my life, I was groomed for religion in a VERY conservative, Caribbean community. I grew up in a rural area, equivalent to the U.S south (in parts). I knew NOTHING else but Christianity and a fundamentalist version of it to boot. By 14, I naturally converted and took it with the utmost sincerity. The church I went to was very legalistic and borderline cultish in the sense that they discouraged association with "sinners" and other church folks from other churches. My church was also big on "saving souls" and it was emphasized that "witnessing" was critical in my Christian walk so I was trained to "share" my convictions with others in hope they "saw the light.

It was not until I was in my early 30s, coinciding with the rise of the internet did I actually start to "get out," so to speak and read other opinions unfiltered through my pastor's messages of bias. I worked for a company that immediately began to utilize the emerging public internet and initially I browsed around for Christian material (prior to this, I had tons of books on Christian apologetics). It was around this time I stumbled into a site known as Lycos.com and it was my first foray into the world of online debate.

I really, really, really thought I had my arguments together. For years I "preached" the Gospel (much like Mike55 over on the Christian forum). I would start various Christian topics I thought validated "truth" and I really believed the "blind" had to see it. I arrogantly believed that others never heard the truth like I could tell it.

Just before my departure from Christianity, I began to learn more about other religions and in doing so, I began to gain a better perspective and context for both Judaism and Christianity. In other words, I began to grasp the history of it all and it eventually became evident to me, my whole "belief" system was a deck of cards.

So, as I moved from Christianity, I never moved from the internet. My passion to spread truth did not subside. I have gone past the "I can't believe I use to believe all that Moderator cut: inappropriate language stage which led to the anger stage which I have also passed. Now I am obsessed with the topic of religion for more academic reasons because I actually enjoy knowing how it has shaped civilizations and how it makes people tick. I am a fan of history so it makes sense that religious history would be of great interest to me.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-15-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,537,717 times
There are probably many reasons for this type of behavior.
Some that come to mind are...trying to convince yourself that your belief is correct, trying to stroke your ego by attempting to "win" arguments. Some people just like to hear themselves talk (or see their own thoughts i print). For some, it's probably a form of "thinking out loud". For some, engaging in debate, is a way to learn and challenge themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality