Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
It's in the Bible. You have no reason to be able to state that it doesn't exist.
What if someone doesn't believe that these depictions in the Bible are true?

Is such a person still going to hell simply because some elaborate mythology says so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
People who believe in bible/god/jesus seem unwilling/unable to see their belief as a worldview, not as a fact on the ground. Of course all the faith religions can't be proven or scientifically validated, that why it's called "faith."
I have always wished that some believer would be able to at least analyze and tell me how their belief system works, including the part that isn't logical. I've concluded that, at that point (if they get to it) the person *needs* to believe it, isn't interested in fact or proof or any such. They need to believe the story.
I'm not sure why, but they do.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Do you know that there isn't one? The guys on that show are accusing the caller of all sorts of evil things and saying he is divisive but they are making judgments against him based on their own opinions.
I see where you are coming from. The Christian will say (often using the burning building analogy) that they are trying to warn the atheists out of concern for them.

But perhaps you could see where we are coming from - we resent deeply this hellfire threat, which we see as trying to frighten us into being religious by using bogeyman threats.

We really do resent it.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
If it's on the internet, it must be true!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default QED: "Thus it has been proven!"

Quote:
Do you know that there isn't one? The guys on that show are accusing the caller of all sorts of evil things and saying he is divisive but they are making judgments against him based on their own opinions.
There are, in fact, a near-infinite number of other possibilites,some of which are a damn-sight more believable. Like all this being a giant alien PhD student's science project in uncontrolled Evolution. All they did was to pour in the original DNA sample and Woah! Stand back Nellie!

Quote:
It's in the Bible. You have no reason to be able to state that it doesn't exist.

√ He created you and me, gave us life, air to breathe, and everything we have.

√ Why do you think you can get away with stealing his air indefinitely?

√ ...we can hopefully stop people from going to hell by giving them the good news that trusting in Christ's sacrifice will save them from it.

√ Don't hate us because we have good news.
We don't hate you, but we are tired of your endless nonosense proselytizing. Plus your entirely closed mind to anything but that worn-out old fairy tale, which is designed to threaten the easily frightened folk into believing with their hearts rather than their minds, and thus tithing and giving over of their own personal rights and spirituality to some other administrator entity (the church, silly!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What a load of doogy do that is...There is no hell, it's just an old story made up to scare the gullible...I'm amazed that it still works for some people!
Nah, you're not! I know you're no longer amazed, sans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Quite so. Why... I read just the other day on the net that God is dead!! Ergo,. well... ergo! QED and all that!

QED: quod erat demonstrandum, which translates as "that which was to be demonstrated"

Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
so? Do you get mad at a doctor when he uses threats of a heart attack to warn you not to eat double cheeseburgers?

The "hosts" of the show jumped to a conclusion that the caller was making an ad hominem. That wasn't the case. The caller was not good at articulating his point...but he wasn't making a personal attack. He was stating a fact. Without Christ, they are going to go to hell. That's the bottom line.
Getting mad at the doctors?
depends on if they're Quacks!
Have you ever heard of Patient's Rights?????? look them up.

The caller was insulting the hosts. Perhaps he would also be insulted if he was in their position and the Muslims were saying that the Christians were going to hell for being pagan.

Without Heavenly Tyranny, there would be no Satan to have been created. Is that not so?

So I ask this, How can God have ANY meaning or purpose when he simply always existed naturally...or supernaturally... Isn't God the biggest Atheist there is? How can this god of yours know that there are no higher powers? because it has strong feeling in his immaterial heart? How could this God be, EVER be, 100% sure that it is correct? He has nothing to measure himself against, This god might have one sense less than necessary to interact with those powers that are higher than he... but he wouldn't know it. This god would foolishly think itself the highest power, it might be a good guess, but it would be an unreasonable danger for this god to give up so easily.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 PM

43 posts, read 166,924 times
Why do people say "it's in the Bible"? A book written by men isn't proof of anything. Everyone hide! Voldemort is on the rise! I know this because "Harry potter and the order of the pheniox" says it.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
MasterCheif, God just told me that there is no hell. I'm writing it down, right now. No hell. You have no reason not to believe me, since I wrote it for God.

I am glad we settled that, then.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Christianity is a self contradictory religion. Aside from inconsistencies and complete ignorance of reality, it propagates the idea that a god created the universe and that god will toss you into a pit of fire where you will burn in excruciating pain for all eternity for something as menial as unbelief, yet it simultaneously says that this god is omnibenevolent. The fact so many people can call this love is insanity.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 04-16-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well, the internet's a helluva lot more reliable than The Bible for accurate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality