Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:22 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,877,224 times

Advertisements

Here's my 2 cents.....

I have a friend that my family and I have spent time with.

They are Catholic we are not.

We all pray over our meals, but at the end, my friend's family makes the sign of the cross. She told me one time that her daughter asked why we didn't, and she had to explain.

My kids know Catholics pray to marry and other mortals, I've had to explain that to them.

Like it or not, there are some pretty substantial differences in Catholic beliefs and/or rituals that have to be addressed and explained to children unless you want them to very confused.

While I personally have no problem telling my kids about anything and anyone that visits my home is free to ask questions and inquire as well, I can kinda understand why this woman may want to avoid that with a stranger's children.

Amish/Mennonite folks are very committed. To think your child could spend much time in their homes without a spiritual aspect of there lives coming up wouldn't be very realistic.

I'm not being judgmental or picking sides weather, you know me. Here's one thing you might do that might help bridge this gap. Maybe you could ask this woman if she would be willing to let your child play with her child maybe for an hour one day and you and her visit with each other. Tell her your concern. Tell her your confusion. You might make a friend. Even better, you might make a difference in her life, her child's life, your child's life, and in you.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,785,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm not being judgmental or picking sides weather, you know me. Here's one thing you might do that might help bridge this gap. Maybe you could ask this woman if she would be willing to let your child play with her child maybe for an hour one day and you and her visit with each other. Tell her your concern. Tell her your confusion. You might make a friend. Even better, you might make a difference in her life, her child's life, your child's life, and in you.

Just a thought.

Alpha,
Thank you for your thoughts. I think this is where a lot of my frustration lies. I realize that there will be cultural/religious differences in both us (the adults) and them (the children). I see these differences as not a conflict but as a reality to life that could only help to enrich our children's (and certainly, mine) lives.
I don't know if I will persue it any further. It would take me contacting her and at some point I have to believe that I might be intruding on her space. Although I had given her my phone number, she chose to correspond with me by email. I think that she was trying to keep it as impersonal as possible.

As always,
God bless us all...

Weather...

Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,930 times
Default Information wanted

I just read your post about the Amish/Mennonite family looking took to babysit. I might have similar beliefs as they and would like to get the information of the ad that I might be able to contact them. Please let me know if you would or can. thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertler View Post
I just read your post about the Amish/Mennonite family looking took to babysit. I might have similar beliefs as they and would like to get the information of the ad that I might be able to contact them. Please let me know if you would or can. thanks

gertler,

The original post was from 9/2007 and it was also an ad for a family in Florida. I think that I found it on Craig's list (don't know if I'm allowed to post that. Sorry, mods, if not.) If you are not familiar with this site, please feel free to let me know and I will DM you with the link.

weather...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 12,930 times
Default Florida babysitter

I'm new to computers. Whatever a DM is I probably need it. I appreciate you responding. I know of people in Florida and I would be interested in getting in contact with them if you could help. Thanks

Old 12-26-2008, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,273 times
I was born and raised in an Amish Mennonite home, my husband and I are non denominational Protestant, and my in-laws are Catholic. I can understand your concern, however, the key issue is not about religion, it's about salvation through Christ and extending His love to others.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 19,417 times
Maybe she was worried that your child would say a parayer to Mary or another saint...which is a BIG no-no for protestants. It is very strange that she is trying to babysit for free.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:48 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,062,458 times
Yah....catholics and mennonites ARE very different. I grew up catholic...and have known some mennonites.

Yes--they're very different. Perhaps she was looking for a friend for her kids, and wanted them growing up around conservative Christians. On the other hand, if they are young...I just can't see the issue. If anything, it sounded like a great opportunity for her to serve and share her faith.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,860 times
I would like to differ from the above posts. There is not one bit of difference between Catholics and Mennonites. They are both works religeons. I grew up Mennonite and my wife grew up Catholic. My wife feels that Mennoites "are much better than Catholics". But I still believe that there is basically no difference between the two.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. View Post
I would like to differ from the above posts. There is not one bit of difference between Catholics and Mennonites. They are both works religeons. I grew up Mennonite and my wife grew up Catholic. My wife feels that Mennoites "are much better than Catholics". But I still believe that there is basically no difference between the two.
Mr. E,

Welcome to the world of CD. I am the original poster of this thread and while it is over 1-1/2 years old and of no real concern to my personal life, I still find the situation a curious one. Perhaps you can shed some light on it for me.

Do you have any children? Did you raise them as Mennonite or Catholic? Can you explain to me why a Mennonite mother (or father) would object to their child playing with a child of Catholic upbringing?

This thread pops back up occasionally and still makes me go .

Thank you for any insight that you might add.

weather...
<><
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality