Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:29 PM

114 posts, read 112,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
What stuff? The ocean? Nature? NJ? People? Depression?
The spiritual connection to the water and/or turtles. I very much believe in depression. You may want to consult a physician to see if medication would be in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned side bar discussion
It appears that your spiritual focus is on one aspect of Creation. I personally really connect with the land of my part of CA. Esp the Sierra high country. But what about the coastal mountains, the deserts of Arizona, the sky (both day and night). I feel a connection with
all aspects of the natural world as well as with God.

What I am suggesting is that you look to other aspects of creation and to the One who made it all.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-21-2012 at 07:54 AM..

3,331 posts, read 5,944,961 times
Quote:
My question is, for a couple of years I have felt depressed and unmotivated. I feel unhappy like I am always missing something in my life, despite having a fulfilling marriage and a wonderful child. Do you guys think it could be because I am so far from my ocean?
I hear ya, except my cathedral is the Rocky Mountains. I know I'd hate it if I had to live away from them.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-17-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
That's only your opinion.. And you're entitled to it but that doesn't necessarily mean everybody else is going to agree with it.
You are correct sir. We all have the right to an opinion--however right or wrong they may be.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM

869 posts, read 1,491,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
The spiritual connection to the water and/or turtles. I very much believe in depression. You may want to consult a physician to see if medication would be in order.

I try and generally succeed in treating my ailments without medication. I dont need to be medicated to be healthy.

Like was previously stated, you have the right to believe that you want to believe but it doesnt mean we all have to believe it. And you have no proof of your claim.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It appears that your spiritual focus is on one aspect of Creation. I personally really connect with the land of my part of CA. Esp the Sierra high country. But what about the coastal mountains, the deserts of Arizona, the sky (both day and night). I feel a connection with all aspects of the natural world as well as with God.

What I am suggesting is that you look to other aspects of creation and to the One who made it all.
I have a close relationship with nature in general and spend time at lakes and in the woods and just enjoying the world around me. I even greatly appreciate our neighborhood park. But I miss my ocean, so very much. As far as the other part, I believe there is much more to our "creation" than the One you are referring to. I dont believe it to be that simple. But thank you.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I try and generally succeed in treating my ailments without medication. I dont need to be medicated to be healthy.

Like was previously stated, you have the right to believe that you want to believe but it doesnt mean we all have to believe it. And you have no proof of your claim.
Good enough. When you post on a public message board asking people their opinion, you're going to get them. I do think though, that some people are just built a certain way and like certain climates better than others....but I wouldn't call it spiritual. I sincerely hope that you get what you need to be happy. I just don't believe in special spiritual pagan spiritual connections between us and nature.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Good enough. When you post on a public message board asking people their opinion, you're going to get them. I do think though, that some people are just built a certain way and like certain climates better than others....but I wouldn't call it spiritual. I sincerely hope that you get what you need to be happy. I just don't believe in special spiritual pagan spiritual connections between us and nature.
In my experience, people of all religious beliefs feel communion with the natural world, they just believe something different about it. I believe in the mother of the world, mother nature sort of figure. But if you are monotheistic, and believe in God, then there is no reason why you wouldnt feel closer to Him while in nature. He would be what creates spiritual peace within yourself when you pray. If you went out into the woods and prayed, God would feel closer. Atheists who dont adhere to any sort of spiritual ideals, feel more peaceful in nature. Humans are animals, and thus our natural environment is out in nature. Why should we not feel a connection.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:
My question is, for a couple of years I have felt depressed and unmotivated. I feel unhappy like I am always missing something in my life, despite having a fulfilling marriage and a wonderful child. Do you guys think it could be because I am so far from my ocean?
Sure seems like a possibility. For me, it's pine trees ... go figure.

Your post made me think of this song:

"Stones and Sea" by Eden's Bridge - YouTube

It actually sort of goes hand in hand with what Mr5150 was saying:

In the beginning,
I was counting the stones on the seashore,
Looking for the precious ones.
Among the stones, I found many pretty things
While the sea rolled on beside me all the time.

Time moved on.
I had collected many stones 'til I tired of them,
And I think they tired of me.
Some were lovely, but I was never satisfied,
And the sea rolled on beside me all the time.

And the wind rose, east and cold.
Whisp'ring sweetly to my soul.
And it said "Look you fool,
You are missing precious things:
Raise your eyes and look towards the sea."

So I looked:
It was as if I saw the sea for the first time,
And it's power captured me.
All the time I had wasted seeking stones,
I had missed the rolling glory of the sea.

And the sea
Devoured a mighty swathe of heart, overwhelmed me
In a way I couldn't know,
And the price for the love of greater things
Was surrender to the great and cruel sea.

And it stole me, and I feared the aching sea,
It consumed me, drowned my mind.
The wind said "Look, you fool,
No matter what you do,
You can't contain the ocean like a stone."

Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
I am a pagan, I openly identify with the water element of the earth. I feel most at home and attuned with the ocean. I feel drawn to and a deep need to associate with loggerhead turtles, that come on the sand on the coast of north carolina and lay their eggs. I am from North Carolina originally. My favorite activity in all the world is having a spiritual communion in nature while sitting on an empty beach at dawn.

I currently live in NJ. The beaches here are atrocious. People are so abusive to the nature, they are over crowded and gross. I feel no communion with nature. I just feel suffocated, like I do everywhere else.
Sounds to me like you should consider returning to North Carolina, or maybe having a second home there.

It's very normal for people to feel a lifelong connection to the place or region they grew up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality