U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,271,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Happily, all those readings (though contradicting one another in some minor and major details) can co-exist and provide fresh and interesting ways of viewing the story - and all remain part of Jewish tradition.
That's the very concept of learning Gamara (Talmudic studies). There's usually a widely held opinion presented, a lesser held opinion, and then we learn the out the commentaries of the next 2,000 years to land on the accepted halacha (Jewish law). And once we do that, we are are aware there are conflicting opinions of the halacha, and we therefore "have who to hold by" which ever way we go.

For example, here's one I learned last night: We Jews say a prayer both before and after we eat any food. Let's say, however, that we change locations (we walk next door, for instance) after eating a food, and then we return to finish our meal. There are pages of halacha concerning how to handle this situation. Do we say another pre-food prayer before we take another bite? Do we say the post-food prayer before we walk next door? What if we forgot?

We've codified all these answers in the Shulchan Orech (other Jews use other codifications), and that's how we hold. But in every case, we usually have multiple opinions to hold by, and there's a preferable way to act and and acceptable way to act, as well as a way we should not act.

Of course we could act patently un-Jewish and just follow our hearts, but that's not the moral code we signed up for by accepting the 613.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:29 PM

10,554 posts, read 5,079,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Our Jewish sages say that the reason his brothers didn't recognize Yosef, is that he had added a full beard in his time in Egypt. Jewish men do not grow their beards until they are married, and Yosef was single (and clean shaven) when he was sold by his brothers. Just a slight point of clarification.
Joseph was a very young boy when sold into Egypt. His brothers only knew what he looked like at that point. The whole account is very compressed time-wise. He spent time in Pharaoh's house then spent time in prison prior to reigning in Egypt. Many years may have elapsed. By the time his brothers saw later him he was an adult with loads of face paint and freaked out costume.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM

10,554 posts, read 5,079,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...but you haven't made an apology.
Did so.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 PM

2,934 posts, read 1,408,609 times
Quote:
Of course we could act patently un-Jewish and just follow our hearts, but that's not the moral code we signed up for by accepting the 613.
That's a bit of a generalization, don't you think? Do we have to have one of those talks about nationalism and racism again, young man? Go cut me a switch!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
That's a bit of a generalization, don't you think? Do we have to have one of those talks about nationalism and racism again, young man? Go cut me a switch!
I wasn't trying to be nationalistic, whoppers. Isn't the whole follow your heart (let the spirit guide you) the way Chrstians think? No need for law when you got the holy spirit?

I was just trying to make the point that Jews don't have that luxery. We gotta follow the rules (the 613 mitzvahs in the Torah), or Hashem will judge us unfavorably. Whoppers, put the switch down! :-)

Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Did so.
Where?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,408,609 times
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be nationalistic, whoppers. Isn't the whole follow your heart (let the spirit guide you) the way Chrstians think? No need for law when you got the holy spirit?

I was just trying to make the point that Jews don't have that luxery. We gotta follow the rules (the 613 mitzvahs in the Torah), or Hashem will judge us unfavorably. Whoppers, put the switch down! :-)
Ha ha...

That MAY be the way that some (or even all - though I would disagree with this latter parenthesis) Christians think, but Christians are just one religious group among many. Even with that said, many Christians follow rules, as well. I'm not so sure that "letting the spirit guide you" is the same thing as "following your heart", anyways. It may be that way - for some Christians, but I highly doubt that Paul (for one example) would have approved of that way of defining it. He came from a Pharisaic background, so he was very familiar with the Jewish tradition up until that time, and it shows in much of what he wrote. He was not a fan of "following one's heart" in that manner heh!

I see what you're saying though - I'll put the switch down.. I realize that being an orthodox Jew is a difficult endeavor, and it takes a rare breed to keep all of those mitzvot - especially in today's modern world. It's no wonder that you exhibit a bit of pride concerning it. "But don't let it consume you, young Jedi - for that way leads to the dark side of the Force!"

I'm.... pretty sure that's from Rashi....

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Ha ha...

That MAY be the way that some (or even all - though I would disagree with this latter parenthesis) Christians think, but Christians are just one religious group among many. Even with that said, many Christians follow rules, as well. I'm not so sure that "letting the spirit guide you" is the same thing as "following your heart", anyways. It may be that way - for some Christians, but I highly doubt that Paul (for one example) would have approved of that way of defining it. He came from a Pharisaic background, so he was very familiar with the Jewish tradition up until that time, and it shows in much of what he wrote. He was not a fan of "following one's heart" in that manner heh!

I see what you're saying though - I'll put the switch down.. I realize that being an orthodox Jew is a difficult endeavor, and it takes a rare breed to keep all of those mitzvot - especially in today's modern world. It's no wonder that you exhibit a bit of pride concerning it. "But don't let it consume you, young Jedi - for that way leads to the dark side of the Force!"

I'm.... pretty sure that's from Rashi....
I'm out of "Rep's" for you at this time, but I would have given you one for the funny ending of this post!

I think if I knew Paul back in the day, we Jews would have described him as "off the derech."

Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 280 times
Meester Chung: Stop being so narrow minded and admit the possibility that coins or something close to them may have been used a lot earlier than your knowledge has so far encompassed.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM

6,273 posts, read 2,789,932 times
I loved this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality