Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am curious if any of you believe the Biblical Joseph, the son of Jacob (AKA Israel) was in Egypt?

Is lack of evidence proof he never was in Egypt and that the writers of the Bible just made up the story of Joseph being a leader in Egypt?
Given that there is no proof of a biblical exodus then chances are there is no proof of a Joseph. Joseph is a cultural memory of the fact that at times Semitic people would rise to heights within egyptian society. That's not to say there is not a core truth to the story just we should not revert to digging with a spade in one hand and a bible in the other because it does more damage then good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
personally, I feel I have to completely swallow my pride and say I was wrong if indeed the coins mentioned by the Israeli News concerning Joseph being in Egypt were bogus. I did try to search it out to see if it was fact but could not find much of any real proof it was bogus. I found one site that said it should be not believed till absolute proof was given. So I am sorry if indeed it was bogus.
Well done. Kitty pointed out to me that I'd got a pharaoh wrong and I went and checked and she was right and you pointed out that spear -stab passage in the Alexandrian Bibles. We all slip up and that's noting to worry about.

What's important is seeing the error and learning and, if you can do that, you gain far more in knowledge and credit than in ignoring it.

I had to wait to find out since, while coins were unknown in Egypt until introduced by the Greeks, there might be some items, ingots with names on, clay seals or scarabs that might arguably have been some kind of exchange- token value or currency, so one always have to be cautious.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,924,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA

I had to wait to find out since, while coins were unknown in Egypt until introduced by the Greeks, there might be some items, ingots with names on, clay seals or scarabs that might arguably have been some kind of exchange- token value or currency, so one always have to be cautious.
Maybe they used debit cards?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,988,180 times
Quote:
personally, I feel I have to completely swallow my pride and say I was wrong if indeed the coins mentioned by the Israeli News concerning Joseph being in Egypt were bogus. I did try to search it out to see if it was fact but could not find much of any real proof it was bogus. I found one site that said it should be not believed till absolute proof was given. So I am sorry if indeed it was bogus.
This is the most impressive post by you ever. I can REALLY respect a person who can admit a mistake because we all know, it is not easy for many people.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,891,958 times
Default Gophur it, guys:! Ask him some simple questions! Gahead!

Unfortunately, he only says, "if indeed the coins..." etc. etc.

"If" "When" "In the unlikely event that..."

Eusebius feels that no such enlightenment events are ever going to be provable, solely because he has a very creative re-imagination and is The King of Re-Definition and Deflection Engineering! "Species" really means "kind", "Evolution" only means "temporary micro-adaptation", and so on.

You get the idea. Deflect and Run! Duck & Cover!

Image Detail for - http://feck.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/london-bomb-shelter.jpg

So in fact his stultified and rigid beliefs are forever safe in the Dark Vault of his IDTist's mind.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,988,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Unfortunately, he only says, "if indeed the coins..." etc. etc.

"If" "When" "In the unlikely event that..."

Eusebius feels that no such enlightenment events are ever going to be provable, solely because he has a very creative re-imagination and is The King of Re-Definition and Deflection Engineering! "Species" really means "kind", "Evolution" only means "temporary micro-adaptation", and so on.

You get the idea. Deflect and Run! Duck & Cover!

Image Detail for - http://feck.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/london-bomb-shelter.jpg

So in fact his stultified and rigid beliefs are forever safe in the Dark Vault of his IDTist's mind.

Well, I give him some credit for even flirting with an admission.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,891,958 times
Default It goes on like.... like.... THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, I give him some credit for even flirting with an admission.
Just make sure you bring a good strong philosophical condom. After all, you don't want to catch "sum-tin" here! Now does yah?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,033,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Just make sure you bring a good strong philosophical condom. After all, you don't want to catch "sum-tin" here! Now does yah?
Ha ha! Yes indeed!

And in the end, even if the coin/scarab things did show certain cows, etc. - he was still using them as a "proof" of Joseph, which is a far stretch indeeed! I doubt that he would admit, after my previous post of the highly unlikely historicity of Joseph to begin with, that any of those points were valid.

If the scarab/coin thing turned out to be genuine, he would gladly continue with the bad assertion that it proves the Biblical account to be true - despite all contrary literary, historical, archaeological evidence that precludes even considering the scarab as evidence.

We have examples of scarabs from the Hyksos period that have the name "Jacob" on them - but does this prove that the father of the Israelites as written about in the Bible actually existed? No - of course not. It just shows that a particular semitic name was in use during a period of semitic dominance, and that is all. Nothing more. Far too often, hopeful believers cling to archaeological finds as if they need only show one thing true to prove the whole. If that's the case, they don't need to go far - for we have plenty of archaeological evidence concerning SOME of the events in the Bible (say, the Babylonian Exile) being true in certain details. But their approach still suffers from the problem that showing one extra-biblical paralell does not prove the whole. An Exile happened, but it does not mean that Yahweh caused it to happen, and it does not mean that the previous books of the Bible were factual.

What's boggling is that there are mounds of evidence as to the unreliablitiy of much of the early history of Israel as recorded in the Bible, but this is all ignored by those very same people digging in the dirt to find sandals in the Red Sea - as if they can undo all of biblical archaeology and scholarship with a sandal, or a scarab, or a plank of wood on a mountain.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times
Quote:
Maybe they used debit cards?
I'll bet they didn't accept american express

Old 04-22-2012, 06:11 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,924,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I'll bet they didn't accept american express
They took Pharaoh One . . . What's in your money bag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality