Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So what is the proof you are looking for, a text of the 'J" Document or a text of the 'E' Document?

Alright, let's do this, what about the Pericope of the Adulteress?

That story does not appear in any manuscripts prior to 1100 A.D.

E13 has it at John 7:53-8:11, but rather embarrassingly, Fragment 225 inserts it after John 7:36; E1 inserts it after John 21:25; Fragment 115 puts after John 8:12; E13 also inserts it at Luke 21:38; and finally, Fragment 1333 inserts it after Luke 24:53.

If you are reading scholarly journals or books and see the phrase "floating text" they are most likely talking about the Pericope. You know the Pericope, "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone." Yeah, that one. The evidence strongly suggests it was made up and added to the texts to negate criticism of the popes, who had scandalous sexual, homosexual and bisexual affairs, raped women and children and did other horrible things (like commit murder.
Mircea
It really isn't embarrassing at all. The Concordant Literal Greek Text which compiled the Alexandrinus, Vaticanus and Sinaiticus into one text left the pericope out of its text because it was not found in the three oldest uncial manuscripts. Your beef is with other people, not me.

Here is what the Concordant Greek Text says on this matter:

"None of the uncial codices nor any other of the older manuscripts contain the incident of the adulterous woman (John 7:53-8:11). It is also absent in some of the Old Latin Versions and is not mentioned by some of the prominent Fathers. Hence it was omitted in our Greek Text. The Concordant Literal New Testament puts these verses in brackets."

I work for the company which produces the Concordant Greek Text and Concordant Literal New Testament and Concordant Literal Old Testament and other helpful books relating to biblical matters.

The information of the adulterous woman in no way affect the rest of the Bible.

Concerning John 7:53-8:11 the Companion Bible notes states:

"From 7:53-8:11 is omitted by L T Tr. [A] WH. The R.V. note questions it. WH place it in double brackets at the end of the gospel. As to ancient MSS., A (the Alexandrine, London) and C (Ephraemi, Paris), are defective here, so that the oldest omitting it are (Sinaitic, Cent. v), B (Vatican, Cent. iv). The oldest containing it is D (Bezae, Cent. vi) It is contained in the Vulgate (383), and Jerome (378-430) testifies (adv. Pedag. ii p.762) that it is found in many Greek and Latin Codices. It is also found in the Jerusalem Syr. (Cent.v) the Memphitic (Cent.iii or iv) Aethiopic (Cent.iv) Eusebius, Bishop of Caesarea (315-320) quotes (Hist. Ecc. iii, 39) Papias, Bishop of Hierapolis (in Phyrgia, 130), as referring to it. Ambrose (374-397) quotes it, as does Augustine (395-430), de adult, coniugilis (lib.ii, cap.7). . . . We may ask: How is it that all the MSS. which do contain it (including 300 Cursives) agree in placing it here? "

Last edited by Eusebius; 04-19-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM

Here: ARCHEOLOGICAL BIBLICAL PROOF 0F JOSEPH IN EGYPT, EXODUS AND FIRST TEMPLE PERIOD « Godssecret's Weblog is an interesting read of proof of Joseph in Egypt and other inscribed in stone writings showing the Old Testament stories to be true.

This stone has writing of Sinai Inscription-Miriam’s Rebellion against Moses

Below is from a stone tablet from a tomb (discovered in 1850) of a wealthy Yemenite woman who died during the Egyptian famine recorded in Genesis 41. This tablet confirms the biblical account of Joseph’s careful management of Egyptian food reserves during the 7 years of famine in Egypt.
“In they name O God, the God of Hamyar,
I Tajah, the daughter of Dzu Shefar, sent my steward to
Joseph,
And he delaying to return to me, I sent my hand maid
With a measure of silver, to bring me back a measure of
flour:
And not being able to procure it, I sent her with a measure of gold:
And not being able to procure it, I sent her with a measure of pearls:
And not being able to procure it, I commanded them to be ground:
And finding no profit in them, I am shut up here.
Whosoever may hear of it, let him commiserate me;
And should any woman adorn herself with an ornament
From my ornaments, may she die with no other than my
death.”

[CENTER]Sinaitic Inscriptions in Wadee El-Mukattab, Sinai[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Above Inscription shot in 1857 by Francis Frith (1822-1898)

[/CENTER]

Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
I figured you had something hanging around causing you to start this thread. I was just waiting. No problem there, but I figured there was something more to it.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I figured you had something hanging around causing you to start this thread. I was just waiting. No problem there, but I figured there was something more to it.
Pro_1:17 "Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird."

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,938,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Top Egyptian Daily: Joseph’s Era Coins Found in Egypt

An Egyptian paper claims that archaeologists have discovered ancient Egyptian coins bearing the
name and image of the Biblical Joseph.

The report in Al-Ahram boasts that the find backs up the Koran’s claim that coins were used in Egypt
during Joseph’s period. Joseph, son of the Patriarch Jacob, died around 1450 B.C.E., according to
Jewish sources.

"The researcher identified coins from many different periods, including coins that bore special
markings identifying them as being from the era of Joseph. Among these, there was one coin that
had an inscription on it, and an image of a cow symbolizing Pharaoh's dream about the seven fat
cows and seven lean cows, and the seven green stalks of grain and seven dry stalks of grain. It was
found that the inscriptions of this early period were usually simple, since writing was still in its early
stages, and consequently there was difficulty in deciphering the writing on these coins. But the
research team [managed to] translate [the writing on the coin] by comparing it to the earliest
known hieroglyphic texts… Joseph's name appears twice on this coin, written in hieroglyphs: once
the original name, Joseph, and once his Egyptian name, Saba Sabani, which was given to him by
Pharaoh when he became treasurer. There is also an image of Joseph, who was part of the Egyptian
administration at the time." Joseph Era Coins Found in Egypt - Defense/Middle East - News - Israel National News

Also: Leading Egyptian Daily 'Al-Ahram' Reports: Coins from Era of Biblical Joseph Found in Egypt Leading Egyptian Daily 'Al-Ahram' Reports: Coins from Era of Biblical Joseph Found in Egypt

Thought the above interesting in proving the story of Joseph was all just made up (ahem).

Coins were first used on and after 700 B.C.E. Egypt start using coins in the 4th century B.C.E

http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/egypt.html

Last edited by Meester-Chung; 04-19-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
those coins dated to 360 B.C
Proof? http://www.wnd.com/2009/09/111091/

And here's another quote:

"Among the coins of the Pharaohs were coins that bore Joseph’s name as the minister of the treasury and his official likeness. Dr. Sa’id Thabet, the leader of the research team, states that coins from the periods before, during, and after Joseph were made in several sizes and were minted using various materials like precious metals, ivory, and jewels. The coins are either round or oval-shaped and, like modern coins, had two faces–an inscribed face with “the name of Egypt, a date, and a value,” and an engraved face with “the name and image of one of the ancient Egyptian pharaohs or gods, or else a symbol connected with these.”

Out of the coins carrying Joseph’s name and likeness, one of them stands out the most. It “had an inscription on it, and an image of a cow symbolizing Pharaoh’s dream about the seven fat cows and seven lean cows, and the seven green stalks of grain and seven dry stalks of grain. …
“Joseph’s name appears twice on this coin, written in hieroglyphs: once the original name, Joseph, and once his Egyptian name, Saba Sabani, which was given to him by Pharaoh when he became treasurer. There is also an image of Joseph, who was part of the Egyptian administration at the time.”
So once again, science has caught up to what is accurately recorded in the Bible, showing that the Bible is not a collection of fairy tales and figurative language. Although some of the Bible is figurative, such as parables, it is literal in its historical accounts of what happened in those days and, therefore, we should take God’s principles recorded in it by his chosen men as being the truth. God has shown by this discovery that he is true to his word. http://sunandshield.wordpress.com/20...name-likeness/

They forgot to say the coins were "made in China" and it had "In God We Trust" on them. (joke)

Last edited by Eusebius; 04-19-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
World nut daily is not a legit news source

British Museum - Ancient Egypt
Ancient Egypt

Before coins started to circulate in ancient Egypt around 500 BC, there was a system of values based on weights of gold, silver and copper. Metal measured in units of weight known as deben (around 90 g) could be used to settle bills and to trade. Records from the Eighteenth Dynasty (1550-1295 BC) show that often the actual metal did not change hands; instead it was used to value goods for exchange. Egypt had no easily accessible source of silver, but the Egyptian word for silver, hedj, came to mean something close to 'money'.
These ingots and metal rings date from the fourteenth century BC and were found at el-Amarna. They give us rare archaeological evidence for Egypt's earliest money system. The complete ingots weigh around 3 deben (265-286 g) and the rings seem to be fractions of the deben.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
World nut daily is not a legit news source

British Museum - Ancient Egypt
Ancient Egypt

Before coins started to circulate in ancient Egypt around 500 BC, there was a system of values based on weights of gold, silver and copper. Metal measured in units of weight known as deben (around 90 g) could be used to settle bills and to trade. Records from the Eighteenth Dynasty (1550-1295 BC) show that often the actual metal did not change hands; instead it was used to value goods for exchange. Egypt had no easily accessible source of silver, but the Egyptian word for silver, hedj, came to mean something close to 'money'.
These ingots and metal rings date from the fourteenth century BC and were found at el-Amarna. They give us rare archaeological evidence for Egypt's earliest money system. The complete ingots weigh around 3 deben (265-286 g) and the rings seem to be fractions of the deben.
The finding of coins of Joseph disproves your claim above. Also:
Gen_42:25 And instruction is Joseph giving, when they are filling their vessels with cereals, to return his money to each man in his sack. And to give them provisions for the way. And done is it to them so.

Gen_42:27 And opening is one his sack to give provender to his ass in the lodging, and seeing is he his money pouch, and behold! It is in the mouth of his bag!"

Gen_42:28 And saying is he to his brothers, "Restored is my money, and, moreover, it is in my bag!"And forth is faring their heart and trembling are they, each man saying to his brother, "What is this that the Elohim does to us?

Gen_42:35 And coming is it, at their emptying their sacks, behold! Each man's money pouch is in his sack. And seeing are they and their father the pouches with their money, and are fearful.

Gen_43:12 And money, duplicated, take in your hand, and the money that was restored in the mouth of your bags, restore by your hand. Perhaps it was an error.

Gen_43:15 And taking are the mortals this present offering and duplicate money take they in their hand, and Benjamin. And rising and going down are they to Egypt. And standing are they before Joseph.

Gen_43:18 And fearful are the mortals, for they are brought to Joseph's house. And saying are they, "On account of the matter of the money returned in our bags at the start are we being brought, to roll himself upon us, and to fall upon us, to take us for servants, and our asses.

Gen_43:21 And it came that we come to the lodging and opened our bags, and, behold! The money of each man was in the mouth of his bag, our money by its weight, yet we will restore it with our hands.

Gen_43:22 And other money have we brought down in our hand to purchase food. Not know do we who placed our money in our bags.

Gen_43:23 And saying is he, "Peace be to you! You must not be fearful. Your Elohim and the Elohim of your forefathers gave you buried treasure in your bags. Your money came to me.

Gen_44:1 And instructing is Joseph him who is over his household, saying, "Fill the bags of the mortals with food, as much as they can lift, and place the money of each man in the mouth of his bag.

Gen_44:2 And my beaker, the silver beaker shall you place in the mouth of the bag of the small one with his victual money.And doing is he according to the word which Joseph speaks.

Gen_44:8 Behold! The money which we found in the mouths of our bags we restored to you from the land of Canaan. And how shall we steal from your lord's house silver or gold?

Gen_47:14 And gleaning is Joseph all the money found in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan for the victuals which they are purchasing for their ration. And bringing is Joseph all the money to Pharaoh's house.

Gen_47:15 And spent is all the money in the land of Egypt and in the land of Canaan. And coming are all in Egypt to Joseph, saying, "Grant us bread! Why should we die in front of you? For the limit of our money has been reached.

Gen_47:16 And saying is Joseph, "Grant your cattle, and give it will I to you, bread for your cattle, if the money reaches its limit.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Money is any object or record that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context.[1][2][3] The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally in the past, a standard of deferred payment.[4][5] Any kind of object or secure verifiable record that fulfills these functions can serve as money.

Coins were invented in 600 B.C stop reading a book written by superstitious bronze age primitives

Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
WND???? For goodness sake man. You're getting worse by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality