Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
...and Steven Feldman is 'who' exactly??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,933,490 times
Quote:
You got it.

"When Sir Leonard Woolley rediscovered ancient Ur in the 1920s, he found stupendous royal treasures but he also found a city rich in more everyday items. Abraham, like others at Ur, may have lived in a two-story house made of brick and boasting a courtyard, reception rooms, a kitchen, bedrooms, even a toilet. His wife Sarah, like other women in the city, may have worn intricately designed headdresses and other jewelry. Abraham and Sarah would even have enjoyed music. Woolley discovered a beautifully carved lyre overlayed with gold at Ur’s royal cemetery. The ancient Mesopotamians were well versed in music; cuneiform tablets containing musical notations and dating to about1800 B.C.E. have been unearthed at Ugarit, in northwestern Mesopotamia." http://cojs.org/cojswiki/Biblical_Hi..._Feldman,_COJS.

This from a religious website does not prove the use of coins before 600 B.C.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Getting back to my point that Joseph really was in Egypt:

Top Egyptian Daily: Joseph’s Era Coins Found in Egypt

An Egyptian paper claims that archaeologists have discovered ancient Egyptian coins bearing the
name and image of the Biblical Joseph.

The report in Al-Ahram boasts that the find backs up the Koran’s claim that coins were used in Egypt
during Joseph’s period. Joseph, son of the Patriarch Jacob, died around 1450 B.C.E., according to
Jewish sources.

"The researcher identified coins from many different periods, including coins that bore special
markings identifying them as being from the era of Joseph. Among these, there was one coin that
had an inscription on it, and an image of a cow symbolizing Pharaoh's dream about the seven fat
cows and seven lean cows, and the seven green stalks of grain and seven dry stalks of grain. It was
found that the inscriptions of this early period were usually simple, since writing was still in its early
stages, and consequently there was difficulty in deciphering the writing on these coins. But the
research team [managed to] translate [the writing on the coin] by comparing it to the earliest
known hieroglyphic texts… Joseph's name appears twice on this coin, written in hieroglyphs: once
the original name, Joseph, and once his Egyptian name, Saba Sabani, which was given to him by
Pharaoh when he became treasurer. There is also an image of Joseph, who was part of the Egyptian
administration at the time." Joseph Era Coins Found in Egypt - Defense/Middle East - News - Israel National News

Also: Leading Egyptian Daily 'Al-Ahram' Reports: Coins from Era of Biblical Joseph Found in Egypt Leading Egyptian Daily 'Al-Ahram' Reports: Coins from Era of Biblical Joseph Found in Egypt

Thought the above interesting in proving the story of Joseph was legit.

so where are the pictures of the coins showing the pictures of Joseph?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,294 times
I am afraid I am too late to head this one off before you dig your heels in on this one Eusebius, but I'll try.

Let me point out a couple of issues:
  • As best I can tell, none of this has appeared in any archeological publication, religious or other wise, in the 3 years since the newspaper article was published. There is literally no existing scholarship here, just third hand newspaper accounts.
  • Second, there appear to be no existing publications at all by the purported head of the research team. I cannot find him mentioned in any other source but the one article. No publications, no biography, no faculty listing, nothing.
  • There is absolutely no confirmation that any of this. No one else has even been able to evaluate the theory, because it doesn't appear to have ever been presented to the scholarly community.
In fact, let me point you to the best available information I could find, from sources who are ideologically on the same team as yourself.
The Southern Baptists
Biblical Archeology

In addition, the coin guys weighed in on this...

Really what we have is a news article in Egypt that cites a researcher, who doesn't appear to be a part of any academic community, using the Koran as evidence that a collection disparate, vaguely roundish charms, scarabs, and medallions are in fact coins (essentially just because the Koran said so). An Israeli source that has a reputation as a propaganda outlet picked it up, and it has been spread on the internet. The buzz died out in about a month, and it has never resurfaced.

In short this is just not credible. Even Evangelical biblical archeologists are not buying it. Perhaps you shouldn't either...

I looked at your second link, and I am not sure exactly what is being claimed there. It looks very strongly that it is a fraud, since the picture of the supposed tablet is not a tablet at all and was never a part of a burial site. It is a (very famous) rock in a wadi in Saudi Arabia, near a purported location of Mt Sinai. I strongly suspect the entire thing is made up. I could not find any independent confirmation that such a tablet even exists.

I have to know...Where do you get this stuff? Does it come in an email forward? Do you just search for stuff online to see what "ah-ha" you can dig up? How did you even stumble on a three year old story that fizzled into oblivion in a month?

Also, is there a reason you don't research this stuff before posting? I mean did you realize that biblical archaeologists regard this as doubtful, unproven and suspect, and did so within a month of the original newspaper article? Or do you just uncritically latch onto anything that appears to support your preconceived belief without fact checking? It would really help the consistency of your own belief if you would do your own homework instead of relying on us atheist to help you. Just a thought...

-NoCapo

Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I have to know...Where do you get this stuff?
WND and other similar scholarly papers.
Quote:
Do you just search for stuff online to see what "ah-ha" you can dig up?

Or do you just uncritically latch onto anything that appears to support your preconceived belief without fact checking?
Now you're getting it. Good de-bunking work by the way.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
This from a religious website does not prove the use of coins before 600 B.C.
It proves Abraham was not a bronze age idiot. He lived many years prior to his great great grandson Joseph.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It proves Abraham was not a bronze age idiot. He live many years prior to his great great grandson Joseph.
so where are the pictures of these coins?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post

Also, is there a reason you don't research this stuff before posting? I mean did you realize that biblical archaeologists regard this as doubtful, unproven and suspect, and did so within a month of the original newspaper article? Or do you just uncritically latch onto anything that appears to support your preconceived belief without fact checking? It would really help the consistency of your own belief if you would do your own homework instead of relying on us atheist to help you. Just a thought...

-NoCapo
I did research it before posting. Urging Caution: A Brief Comment on the So-Called 'Joseph Coins' urged caution before accepting the coins bearing Joseph but they didn't give me enough evidence to sway me otherwise.

BTW, I don't align myself with Southern Baptists.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
so where are the pictures of these coins?
Exactly.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Where are the pictures of these coins? why can't you poduce evidence that these coins exist? how can you expect anybody yo believe you of you failed to produce evidence of these coins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality