Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Was Abraham a bronze age idiot?:

"Ur of the Chaldees is near modern day al-Basrah (Basra) on the edge of al-Hajar Desert in southern Iraq, not
far from where the Euphrates and Tigris rivers meet. If you look at a modern atlas, you will see that area is
still called Mesopotamia. There have been extensive excavations of Ur, which has shown us that there was a
high state of civilisation with a civic authority much like our civic councils. The houses were made of large
stones about ½ metre square and mud bricks. The average house was two storeys and had between ten
and twenty rooms. They had kitchens, bathrooms and toilets built in the houses, and each house had
running water drawn from the nearby river and fed by aqueducts. Children went to school; school students
studied reading, writing and arithmetic, mathematics, multiplication, division, learned square and cube root,
just as do students today. Ur had detailed commercial trading; even the name ‘Abram’ has been found
etched into clay tablets. These people were not primitive ‘cave men’ but were intelligent, family oriented,
hard working, well organised, civilised people who lived in a cohesive society. Abraham’s family moved away
from Ur to Haran. Imagine how hard it would have been for Abraham and Sarah to move from their well built,
weatherproof home and all this luxury, to living a nomadic life in a tent!
http://www.bibleabookoftruth.com/abr...realpeople.pdf
Not to be too abrasive, but after posting two links that pretty devoid of anything approaching a fact, have you actually researched this and verified these claims, as well as the dates? Not saying you are wrong (I have not dug into this one), but so far you are 0 for 2 on this thread...

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Bible book of truth??? That's a bit like..... 'creation scientists'!!.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times
Quote:
Was Abraham a bronze age idiot?:

"Ur of the Chaldees is near modern day al-Basrah (Basra) on the edge of al-Hajar Desert in southern Iraq, not
far from where the Euphrates and Tigris rivers meet. If you look at a modern atlas, you will see that area is
still called Mesopotamia. There have been extensive excavations of Ur, which has shown us that there was a
high state of civilisation with a civic authority much like our civic councils. The houses were made of large
stones about ½ metre square and mud bricks. The average house was two storeys and had between ten
and twenty rooms. They had kitchens, bathrooms and toilets built in the houses, and each house had
running water drawn from the nearby river and fed by aqueducts. Children went to school; school students
studied reading, writing and arithmetic, mathematics, multiplication, division, learned square and cube root,
just as do students today. Ur had detailed commercial trading; even the name ‘Abram’ has been found
etched into clay tablets. These people were not primitive ‘cave men’ but were intelligent, family oriented,
hard working, well organised, civilised people who lived in a cohesive society. Abraham’s family moved away
from Ur to Haran. Imagine how hard it would have been for Abraham and Sarah to move from their well built,
weatherproof home and all this luxury, to living a nomadic life in a tent!
http://www.bibleabookoftruth.com/abr...realpeople.pdf

I am still waiting on those pictures of those coins

the source of the Abraham Story(comparative religions something eusibius don't do)

Quote:
[SIZE=3] In his History of the Jews, the Jewish scholar and theologian Flavius Josephus (37 - 100 A.D.), wrote that the Greek philosopher Aristotle had said: "...These Jews are derived from the Indian philosophers; they are named by the Indians Calani." (Book I:22.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Clearchus of Soli wrote, "The Jews descend from the philosophers of India. The philosophers are called in India Calanians and in Syria Jews. The name of their capital is very difficult to pronounce. It is called 'Jerusalem.'"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] "Megasthenes, who was sent to India by Seleucus Nicator, about three hundred years before Christ, and whose accounts from new inquiries are every day acquiring additional credit, says that the Jews 'were an Indian tribe or sect called Kalani...'" (Anacalypsis, by Godfrey Higgins, Vol. I; p. 400.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] Martin Haug, Ph.D., wrote in The Sacred Language, Writings, and Religions of the Parsis, "The Magi are said to have called their religion Kesh-î-Ibrahim.They traced their religious books to Abraham, who was believed to have brought them from heaven." (p. 16.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] There are certain striking similarities between the Hindu god Brahma and his consort Saraisvati, and the Jewish Abraham and Sarai, that are more than mere coincidences. Although in all of India there is only one temple dedicated to Brahma, this cult is the third largest Hindu sect.[/SIZE]

In Hindu mythology, Sarai-Svati is Brahm's sister. The bible gives two stories of Abraham. In this first version, Abraham told Pharaoh that he was lying when he introduced Sarai as his sister. In the second version, he also told the king of Gerar that Sarai was really his sister. However, when the king scolded him for lying, Abraham said that Sarai was in reality both his wife and his sister! "...and yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife." (Genesis 20:12.)
But the anomalies don't end here. In India, a tributary of the river Saraisvati is Ghaggar. Another tributary of the same river is Hakra. According to Jewish traditions, Hagar was Sarai's maidservant; the Moslems say she was an Egyptian princess. Notice the similarities of Ghaggar, Hakra and Hagar.
The bible also states that Ishmael, son of Hagar, and his descendants lived in India. "...Ishmael breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his kin... They dwelt from Havilah (India), by Shur, which is close to Egypt, all the way to Asshur." (Genesis 25:17-18.) It is an interesting fact that the names of Isaac and Ishmael are derive from Sanskrit: (Hebrew) Ishaak = (Sanskrit) Ishakhu = "Friend of Shiva." (Hebrew) Ishmael = (Sanskrit) Ish-Mahal = "Great Shiva."
A third mini-version of the Abraham story turns him into another "Noah." We know that a flood drove Abraham out of India. "...Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, Even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor; and they served other gods. And I took your father Abraham from the other side of the flood, and led him throughout all the land of Canaan." (Joshua 24:2-3.)
Genesis 25 mentions some descendants of his concubine Ketura (Note: The Moslems claim that Ketura is another name of Hagar.): Jokshan; Sheba; Dedan; Epher. Some descendants of Noah were Joktan, Sheba, Dedan, and Ophir. These varying versions have caused me to suspect that the writers of the bible were trying to unite several different branches of Judaism.
About 1900 BC, the cult of Brahm was carried to the Middle and Near East by several different Indian groups after a severe rainfall and earthquake tore Northern India apart, even changing the courses of the Indus and Saraisvati rivers. The classical geographer Strabo tells us just how nearly complete the abandonment of Northwestern India was. "Aristobolus says that when he was sent upon a certain mission in India, he saw a country of more than a thousand cities, together with villages, that had been deserted because the Indus had abandoned its proper bed." (Strabo's Geography, XV.I.19.)
"The drying up of the Sarasvati around 1900 BCE, which led to a major relocation of the population centered around in the Sindhu and the Sarasvati valleys, could have been the event that caused a migration westward from India. It is soon after this time that the Indic element begins to appear all over West Asia, Egypt, and Greece." (Indic Ideas in the Graeco-Roman World, by Subhash Kak, taken from IndiaStar online literary magazine; p.14)
Indian historian Kuttikhat Purushothama Chon believes that Abraham was driven out of India. He states that the Aryans, unable to defeat the Asuras (The mercantile caste that once ruled in the Indus Valley or Harappans) spent so many years fighting covertly against the Asuras, such as destroying their huge system of irrigation lakes, causing destructive flooding, that Abraham and his kindred just gave up and marched to West Asia. (See Remedy the Frauds in Hinduism.) Therefore, besides being driven out of Northern India by floods, the Aryans also forced Indian merchants, artisans, and educated classes to flee to West Asia.
Abraham - Who Was He? / Viewzone

Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
They got their story wrong. The Jews don't come from India but from Jacob who was later named Israel and Jews are Juda-ans from the land of Judea, not India. They are part of the 12 tribes of Israel.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
They got their story wrong. The Jews don't come from India but from Jacob who was later named Israel and Jews are Juda-ans from the land of Judea, not India. They are part of the 12 tribes of Israel.

the superstitious bronze age authors of the bible copied myths from Indian myths and when are are you going to produce those pictures of Joseph's coin? and i am going to asked for those coin pictures until

1. you produced them

2. you admit that the story is a bogus

Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Not a fair fight at all.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymisunderstood View Post
All of that is completely hypothetical. You've got nothing to indicate that. But if you aren't interested in believing in it, you won't--no matter what we bring to the table.

i am not interested in believing things that is not backed by evidence

Old 04-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymisunderstood View Post
You certainly seem to be based on this quote:

why don't you do comaparative religion research

Amazon.com: Old Testament Parallels (Fully Expanded and Revised) (9780809137312): Victor H. Matthews, Don C. Benjamin: Books

Old Testament Parallels (Fully Expanded and Revised) [Paperback]

Victor H. Matthews (Author), Don C. Benjamin (Author)

Book Description

Publication Date: June 1997
An all-new translation of the most important ancient Near East documents that share parallel themes and issues with biblical stories.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Not a fair fight at all.
Ha ha! It's getting quite crazy in here! I never thought I'd live to see the day where I would agree with Eusebius on something. Only in comparison to Meester Chung's strange assertions of Indian influence on the Hebrew Bible do I find myself in this perplexing situation! God help me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
i am not interested in believing things that is not backed by evidence. I also enjoy cupcakes very much.
Meester Chung - I understand your need for evidence (and I totally agree 100%), but you just posted several posts in which you declared that the Hebrew Bible received most of it's influence from India, using the weakest of arguments. I don't think this is the thread for it, and I encourage you to start your own thread justifying it, but that certainly isn't backed up by facts. Well, recent, reliable facts - I should specify. It's very odd that a country (Israel), as land-locked as it was between great powers, somehow came into contact with India and just decided to adopt and modify their gods. If anything, it was their immediate neighbors that influenced them the most (and if you follow the latest scholarship, the Israelites WERE their neighbors heh heh). Scholarship is even wary of proposing influneces on Israel thought that were much closer than India.

But again - this isn't the thread for it. I'm merely pointing out the irony of your statement, above, concerning evidence. And please forgive the cupcakes joke - I couldn't resist.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
personally, I feel I have to completely swallow my pride and say I was wrong if indeed the coins mentioned by the Israeli News concerning Joseph being in Egypt were bogus. I did try to search it out to see if it was fact but could not find much of any real proof it was bogus. I found one site that said it should be not believed till absolute proof was given. So I am sorry if indeed it was bogus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality