Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:54 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times

Advertisements

how do we know that this jesus person actually existed and did all the things the bible says? is there anyone that jesus can be compared to in history that has/had a similar mindset or goal for the world? is jesus all about good? what's the deal?
i like to believe in a higher power/god but am not so sure about the jesus thing.
how do we know that jesus wasnt some type of power hungry manipulator and people listened to him because he was a master salesperson with an ulterior motive?
i know that alot of you will be shocked by this statement and i want to apologize. i am trying to figure this whole thing out and look at it from all sides including.
p.s. i hope i am not struck by lightening bolts now for saying such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
how do we know that this jesus person actually existed and did all the things the bible says? is there anyone that jesus can be compared to in history that has/had a similar mindset or goal for the world? is jesus all about good? what's the deal?
i like to believe in a higher power/god but am not so sure about the jesus thing.
how do we know that jesus wasnt some type of power hungry manipulator and people listened to him because he was a master salesperson with an ulterior motive?
i know that alot of you will be shocked by this statement and i want to apologize. i am trying to figure this whole thing out and look at it from all sides including.
p.s. i hope i am not struck by lightening bolts now for saying such a thing.
You're allowed to ask questions.

Jesus was a real person. This is confirmed by extra-biblical historical records. Historically speaking, it is nearly universally accepted that the man Jesus existed. Islam even acknowledges Jesus' existence. However, what is often questioned or debated is his claim of divinity. That comes from the Bible. And there again, either you accept it as truth or not. I believe it and trust it implicity. It's your choice to either accept it or reject it. If you accept it as truth, then it shows Jesus is God in the flesh who dwelt among us. And if Jesus is God, then he had no alterior motives. His only motive was to save the world from condemnation and to offer everlasting life with Him in heaven.

Again, it's your choice to either accept what the Bible says as truth, which shows Jesus was who he claimed to be, or you reject the Bible

Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Lightbulb Truth is.

I don't think it would matter if Jesus had existed or not. Truth can be found in fictional work like Jesus demonstrated with his many parables.

Then again it doesn't matter to me because I'm not concerned about an afterlife. I think Christians would have a problem if Jesus never existed, because then no one had died for their sins.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:14 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
There are quite a few people that wonder about that. Some are sure that he was just a man. Some believe that as a man, he was divinely inspired by God to lead, but he wasn't more than human.

And then, there are those that believe he was the Son of God and can quote tons of scripture from the bible that back up their beliefs,

You have to make up your own mind. Evidence outside of the Christian church and the bible is scanty.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I don't think it would matter if Jesus had existed or not. Truth can be found in fictional work like Jesus demonstrated with his many parables.

Then again it doesn't matter to me because I'm not concerned about an afterlife. I think Christians would have a problem if Jesus never existed, because then no one had died for their sins.
I think he did exist and I also think that if Christians would REALLY strive to live the perfect life he apparently lived, all this preachy and converting crap would stop. Words are cheap. It's how you live your life that someone really cares about.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by songinthewind7
Quote:
I think he did exist and I also think that if Christians would REALLY strive to live the perfect life he apparently lived, all this preachy and converting crap would stop. Words are cheap. It's how you live your life that someone really cares about.
True, but in order for this to happen it is not necessary that Jesus had actually existed. But most Christians cannot see this (or do not want to acknowledge this), because if Jesus never lived he obviously also never died. Which automatically means that humanity's sin isn't washed away and no one could enter heaven.
Since I only focus on the here and now and not on some afterlife, it doesn't matter to me.
Whether Jesus existed or not, his teachings work for me.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
Jesus Christ was an actual person, yes. Either that or Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all conspiring together!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I completely agree that Jesus was a real person and historical figure. He clearly interacted with known historical figures who are documented in historical records other than the Bible. I really don't see any basis for suggesting that Jesus was simply made up as a fictional character to be used in the Bible as the main character. That doesn't seem like a reasonable possibility. The only dispute I can see is whether or not Jesus was actually the son of God or whether he was an ordinary flesh and blood human being.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:14 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times
There is no historical proof. You have to just have faith that he was real.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
I think the eyewitness accounts of Jesus in the Bible have the definite ring of truth to them if you read the gospels. I've said it many times before on the forum but Jesus is kinda an "unexpected" character, would have been difficult to "invent" Him. Also, He fulfilled Old Testament prophecies about himself, many of which would have been difficult if not impossible to manipulate.

If He was just a successful manipulator, I think he could have manipulated things a little better at the end rather than dying a tortuous death on the cross.
It was C.S. Lewis who coined the phrase about Jesus--"Lord, liar or lunatic?" in his book Mere Christianity. Ultimately that's the decision that has to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality