Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 AM

258 posts, read 207,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Of course I did Artie, I traced the beliefs and practices to their origins and discovered they originally came from sungod worshipping and had no origins in Christ teachings, nor does the bible sanction them. Santa is a myth and a traditional practice, Jesus has absolutely nothing to do with Chridstmas, was not even born during that time.
If even you yourself aren't using your supernatural methods to come to your conclusions why would you require a scientist to even consider investigating those same methods? You can't use rational methods yourself to come to your conclusions and at the same time demand scientists should consider investigating irrational methods. Maybe we simply have a failure here to see the difference between rational and irrational?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:32 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieE View Post
If even you yourself aren't using your supernatural methods to come to your conclusions why would you require a scientist to even consider investigating those same methods? You can't use rational methods yourself to come to your conclusions and at the same time demand scientists should consider investigating irrational methods. Maybe we simply have a failure here to see the difference between rational and irrational?

Well I agree with you there, I consider belief in spiritual things rational, you don't. I believe its rational that some outside influence must have been present in three major events in human history; the forming of the universe, the forming of humans and the advent of civilization. Eve Mr. Wallace, one of the co-founders of the theory of evolution thought that possible. Although he never endorsed those thoughts as his final musings.

Its obvious that a shadow is merely a reflection of something in reality and can be explained by understanding the science of light; but I believe there is a hidden ingredient in man that although it cannot be seen, its reflection is obvious. Our ability to literally " See into the consciousness of others", and to reflect in memory exact dates and times and experience emotions on those reflections and give that category and meaning. And the dawn of civilization definitely shows an outside influence on man that he didn't do himself. A point came after the ice age that it seems as if man got to a certain point in his stagnation, then made a dramatic left turn and exploded into an entirely new direction, as quoted by Julian Jayne's. And I am not implying that Jayne's believed in this spirit in man, I don't think he did, but he recognized this great switch in human direction.

I think it was due to a power greater than man, guiding man.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 AM

267 posts, read 216,437 times
Quote:
Well I agree with you there, I consider belief in spiritual things rational, you don't. I believe its rational that some outside influence must have been present in three major events in human history; the forming of the universe, the forming of humans and the advent of civilization. Eve Mr. Wallace, one of the co-founders of the theory of evolution thought that possible. Although he never endorsed those thoughts as his final musings.

Its obvious that a shadow is merely a reflection of something in reality and can be explained by understanding the science of light; but I believe there is a hidden ingredient in man that although it cannot be seen, its reflection is obvious. Our ability to literally " See into the consciousness of others", and to reflect in memory exact dates and times and experience emotions on those reflections and give that category and meaning. And the dawn of civilization definitely shows an outside influence on man that he didn't do himself. A point came after the ice age that it seems as if man got to a certain point in his stagnation, then made a dramatic left turn and exploded into an entirely new direction, as quoted by Julian Jayne's. And I am not implying that Jayne's believed in this spirit in man, I don't think he did, but he recognized this great switch in human direction.

Yeah wheat and rice.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Well I agree with you there, I consider belief in spiritual things rational, you don't. I believe its rational that some outside influence must have been present in three major events in human history; the forming of the universe, the forming of humans and the advent of civilization.
Rational is defined as "Consistent with or based on reason; logical: rational behavior." Rational Your conclusions aren't based on reason or logic or the scientific method but belief. Therefore if you consider belief in spiritual things rational you are contradicting yourself. It is irrational to believe something for which there is no evidence because the scientific method use reason and logic, not belief.
Quote:
Its obvious that a shadow is merely a reflection of something in reality and can be explained by understanding the science of light; but I believe there is a hidden ingredient in man that although it cannot be seen, its reflection is obvious.
An irrational belief since there is no evidence supporting it.
Quote:
Our ability to literally " See into the consciousness of others", and to reflect in memory exact dates and times and experience emotions on those reflections and give that category and meaning. And the dawn of civilization definitely shows an outside influence on man that he didn't do himself. A point came after the ice age that it seems as if man got to a certain point in his stagnation, then made a dramatic left turn and exploded into an entirely new direction, as quoted by Julian Jayne's. And I am not implying that Jayne's believed in this spirit in man, I don't think he did, but he recognized this great switch in human direction.

Then you must provide rational evidence for what you think, otherwise your thoughts are irrational.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Rational is defined as "Consistent with or based on reason; logical: rational behavior." Rational Your conclusions aren't based on reason or logic or the scientific method but belief. Therefore if you consider belief in spiritual things rational you are contradicting yourself. It is irrational to believe something for which there is no evidence because the scientific method use reason and logic, not belief.An irrational belief since there is no evidence supporting it.Then you must provide rational evidence for what you think, otherwise your thoughts are irrational.

In my view, it is rational to accept that language was passed down and taught to humans, that they didn't teach it to themselves, nor did random evolution create the physical ability to speak and reason; it is irrational to accept that these things developed from things far lesser than themselves.

It is rational to accept that the human brain, all its internal organs, are obvious evidence of design; it is irrational to accept that they developed themselves individually from animal parts, somehow survived individually, then joined together in community and decided to formulate the human body.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
In my view, it is rational to accept that language was passed down and taught to humans,
It is irrational to accept something when you have no evidence for it. Why don't you accept the existence of Santa while you're at it? Or the Easter Bunny?
Quote:
It is rational to accept that the human brain, all its internal organs, are obvious evidence of design; it is irrational to accept that they developed themselves individually from animal parts, somehow survived individually, then joined together in community and decided to formulate the human body.
It is quite clear from what you say here that you simply don't understand the difference between rational and irrational nor how the human body developed. Logic and reason is useless against such ignorance. I can't reason someone out of something they didn't reason themselves into when reason has been replaced with belief.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
It is irrational to accept something when you have no evidence for it. Why don't you accept the existence of Santa while you're at it? Or the Easter Bunny?It is quite clear from what you say here that you simply don't understand the difference between rational and irrational nor how the human body developed. Logic and reason is useless against such ignorance. I can't reason someone out of something they didn't reason themselves into when reason has been replaced with belief.

It is impossible for life itself to develop and grow itself from random lucky selection of unknown miracles or freaks of some unnamed source that cracked themselves through nothing and into reality. I can't reason with someone who believes that and has no scientific evidence to back it up.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
It is impossible for life itself to develop and grow itself from random lucky selection of unknown miracles or freaks of some unnamed source that cracked themselves through nothing and into reality. I can't reason with someone who believes that and has no scientific evidence to back it up.
Can somebody else handle that one? I bet someone could write a book about all the different levels of ignorance displayed in that first sentence but it's getting too late here.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
In my view, it is rational to accept that language was passed down and taught to humans, that they didn't teach it to themselves, nor did random evolution create the physical ability to speak and reason; it is irrational to accept that these things developed from things far lesser than themselves.

If this were the case, then can you explain why there are approximately 7,000 languages spoken today, and many thousands more gone extinct....If you maintain that god gave man language, then god is an ass for making it so complicated...And don't even think of feeding me that old tower of babble myth.

The answer to the rest of your design nonsense which is evolution, has tons upon tons of evidence verifying how everything you think was designed came about, including human language.

You, Mickiel, win the prize as the single most irrational poster I have ever seen.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Can somebody else handle that one? I bet someone could write a book about all the different levels of ignorance displayed in that first sentence but it's getting too late here.
It (abiogenesis and evolution) has been explained to him countless times...He willfully refuses to understand it....It would be an exercise in futility to explain it again....He just does not want to learn anything that refutes his set in stone opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality