U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-26-2007, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,257 posts, read 10,814,649 times
Reputation: 9720
If one of the Commandments is"thou shall have no other Gods BEFORE me" does that not imply there are OTHER Gods?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2007, 12:28 PM
 
364 posts, read 495,898 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
If one of the Commandments is"thou shall have no other Gods BEFORE me" does that not imply there are OTHER Gods?


He speaking of false idols gods
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 01:14 PM
 
Location: NC
10,969 posts, read 8,544,245 times
Reputation: 1232
Quote:
If one of the Commandments is"thou shall have no other Gods BEFORE me" does that not imply there are OTHER Gods?
Hi Lt. Dan, anything can be a god in someone's life. It could be the pagan gods that people prayed to or it can be anything that is number one is someone's life like money, a person, sex, ambition, ect. What do we worship? God bless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 01:35 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,546 times
Reputation: 12
Most Christian denominations do acknowledge the Trinity, and I think you might be turned off by "religion" because of the confusion. There is no confusion, and your best bet is to try an Evangelist/Bible-based church, that follows the exact teachings of Jesus.

To say "there is no confusion" is completely wrong. I am a Christian and there is plenty of confusion. There is only one God and I would like to see the many different religions merge together also. I do believe that Jesus is a man of holy spiritual power and authority but I also believe that him being "interpreted" as God is false and a misinterpretation. Jesus said he was the son of God (we are all his children) and then he said "I am Lord." The word "lord" at this time did not mean "God" it meant a king or man of high authority and power. How could Jesus think that he was God if he himself said that he is "the son of God?"

And there's thousands of Christians walking around thinking that Jesus is God and you're saying there's no confusion? There's plenty of confusion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,546 times
Reputation: 12
and good luck finding a church that follows the exact teachings of Jesus. If you do find one please let me know.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,546 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Lt. Dan, anything can be a god in someone's life. It could be the pagan gods that people prayed to or it can be anything that is number one is someone's life like money, a person, sex, ambition, ect. What do we worship? God bless.
Great answer, right on the money.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,572 posts, read 8,380,138 times
Reputation: 3931
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
No I can still respect with tolerance of other beliefs and still believe in one way

But think about it if you want to be a Christian would you not have to believe what Christ taught? did not Jesus say himself I am the only way? did not Jesus teach one God.

it sounds like to me this person is trying to say yes I'm christian but still believe all paths lead to God or there is more then one God.

The core faith of a Christian is there one God and Jesus is the only path to God but I know others may not believe that but I never bash their view or religion but I will post the truth what makes a Christian a Christian

Also The resurrection is also apart of the core faith of Christianty it can not stand without it
Sure, in order to be a Christian I'm pretty certain you have to have some level of faith in Christ. I don't think anyone's arguing that point.

However, the issue then becomes one along these lines: "I believe my man in the sky is the one true God, and although I respect your ideologies' differences, with all due respect, you are wrong and worshipping a false idol."

The response of course is "How can you prove this?" Or perhaps "No sir, you are worshipping a false idol, my God is the one true God based on this book I have right here". Your response is "Well my book says differently, and I believe my book more because it says to believe it more." The opposition would then state something like this (probably citing a few quotes from it as well) "Well my holy book says this and that I am worshipping the one true God"

So, now, we get to the crux of the argument. Both people feel inherently 'right' that their God is the one and only true God based on books that are thousands of years old. What's even funnier is that most of the world believes that by praying to God, their prayers will be answered. Well, if a Muslim prays in Pakistan for something to happen, and an American Christian prays for something to happen and both occur than which God was it? Was it the Christian God showing the Muslim how he 'works'? Was it the Mulsim God showing the American how he 'works'? Again, the circularity of the belief becomes apparent when they both refer back to their holy books to say "See, I told you my book said god was going to help me".

Anyway, to officially answer the OP, if I'm not mistaken, there have been over 5000 known gods to have been worshipped that we know of. That's a lot of "Mine is the only right one" if you ask me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
 
51 posts, read 100,357 times
Reputation: 28
To answer the original question: eleven
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM
 
364 posts, read 495,898 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Sure, in order to be a Christian I'm pretty certain you have to have some level of faith in Christ. I don't think anyone's arguing that point.

However, the issue then becomes one along these lines: "I believe my man in the sky is the one true God, and although I respect your ideologies' differences, with all due respect, you are wrong and worshipping a false idol."

The response of course is "How can you prove this?" Or perhaps "No sir, you are worshipping a false idol, my God is the one true God based on this book I have right here". Your response is "Well my book says differently, and I believe my book more because it says to believe it more." The opposition would then state something like this (probably citing a few quotes from it as well) "Well my holy book says this and that I am worshipping the one true God"

So, now, we get to the crux of the argument. Both people feel inherently 'right' that their God is the one and only true God based on books that are thousands of years old. What's even funnier is that most of the world believes that by praying to God, their prayers will be answered. Well, if a Muslim prays in Pakistan for something to happen, and an American Christian prays for something to happen and both occur than which God was it? Was it the Christian God showing the Muslim how he 'works'? Was it the Mulsim God showing the American how he 'works'? Again, the circularity of the belief becomes apparent when they both refer back to their holy books to say "See, I told you my book said god was going to help me".

Anyway, to officially answer the OP, if I'm not mistaken, there have been over 5000 known gods to have been worshipped that we know of. That's a lot of "Mine is the only right one" if you ask me.
But do not you have to be true to your faith? Are you saying I can not believe that people have false idols but still respect others beliefs and religion?

I'm believer in one God that one God does exist for that is the core for mine faith but I will not hold back when a person says so what you think about mine god? Since I have to be true the faith I must answer what Mine faith says about others gods. If another had a different view point from their core of faith then I would still respect that. I'm never said Mine God is real and yours is not! in a way like there is proof to prove that but in a way of telling others it just mine belief. pagans may not believe in mine God or what the bible says but I do not really get offend its their belief but I do get offend if they choose their words in a way to mock someone or even a christian to mock another faith or even their own brothers in Christ.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
 
364 posts, read 495,898 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
But do not you have to be true to your faith? Are you saying I can not believe that people have false idols but still respect others beliefs and religion?

I'm believer in one God that one God does exist for that is the core for mine faith but I will not hold back when a person says so what you think about mine god? Since I have to be true the faith I must answer what Mine faith says about others gods. If another had a different view point from their core of faith then I would still respect that. I'm never said Mine God is real and yours is not! in a way like there is proof to prove that but in a way of telling others it just mine belief. pagans may not believe in mine God or what the bible says but I do not really get offend its their belief but I do get offend if they choose their words in a way to mock someone or even a christian to mock another faith or even their own brothers in Christ.

or sisters in Christ sorry Can not believe I forgot them
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top