Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's what I would expect the generality of Christians to say. Essentially, the idea is that Christians are supposed to be good people, but where they fall short, they are Forgiven - if they have Faith.
Yes, Christians should sin less, but they are not sinless. Regardless, I'm never going to be able to live up to the standard of the skeptics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I see that religion has done a grand job in teaching you to be self-depreciating. How sad that it has ingrained into you that you are worthless.
I'm not worthless. Christ died for me, that I might be reunited with God. Would someone die for a worthless person?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
I was told by 2 different very very conservative Christians that it's all about the faith. You must "believe ". That it doesn't matter how good a person you are if you don't believe your soul is doomed. Bunk !!! I guess I can be a self absorbed jerk but if I profess then alls good. Huh???
That is not what Christianity teaches. You have been mis-informed. The love of self is contrary to what Christ taught. Jesus taught us to love God & love others.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
JRU

7 posts, read 7,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If christians were judged by their faith, what impression would they make?
If christians were judged by their behavior, what impression would they make?
How do christians want to be judged by others?
Faith and behavior go hand in hand.

Faith in Jesus is more than believing he existed. Faith in Jesus is truely accepting Him into your heart.

Jesus says, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching" (John 14:23).
He also says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit" (John 15:5).

Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,181 times
I think they want their behavior to be judged by their religion. I know that when I was a christian, if I screwed up, I wanted to be judged according to my faith. Which was that only God could judge me.

Now I know that isn't rational. If I screw up, I need to be judged by my peers. Then I would ask my peers to give me some ideas on how to correct this behavior if it was found to be unflattering or wrong.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
An unbelieving friend told me once: Awe, churches are just filled with hypocrites!" I replied, "At least they know where to go for help."

Me? I'm a shining example of what a Christian should be. I'm ornery, sometimes short tempered, often long-suffering, love people and would give the shirt off my back, a sinner in need of grace. I have many failings but am thankful I am still a work in progress.

True Christians were not supposed to be perfect in this life. We are saved by grace and "God deals graciously with all our offenses." If we never offended there would be no need of grace. Right?

We are all a bunch of rag tag motley crew.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If you look at me, you will be disappointed. I am weak. God is (very) busy at work on me.

I'd rather you look at Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. Hebrews 12:2
The radical Rabbi is no where to be found, though you say he is hiding in the darkness of heaven's thrown in order to judge our children. Not a single work did this Rabbi author, almost as if his only gift was spouting his mouth and insulting the fundamentalists.

I believe a fallible Christian (and we know how fallible they are) is the author of the letter to the Hebrews.

We can quote Jesus from Mathew: You will not enter the Kingdom unless you are like a Child... better at studying religion then the ancient Jewish scribes... etc etc etc.

All bad people want to be judged only by their self-convincing. The walls of religionist indoctrination do not help, they only further corrupt.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If christians were judged by their faith, what impression would they make?
If christians were judged by their behavior, what impression would they make?
How do christians want to be judged by others?
As a person who doesn't happen to be Christian, I can only make this observation: they damn well better be judged on their faith, because if they're judged on their behavior, they're in Big Trouble.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do people want to be judged at all?
Yes, otherwise they would not point out their faith every ten minutes and would not care what others think. There would not be jealousy and greed. There would not be the concept of "Keeping up with the Jones' "

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
I would expect a Christian would want to be judged more by their actions, as representative of their faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality