Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times

Advertisements

I was raised agnostic. Became a christian in my young adulthood. Rejected religion as an adult and am now Jewish because this religion describes my beliefs the most, though I don't believe in a god.

How does your religion enhance your life?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-25-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was raised agnostic. Became a christian in my young adulthood. Rejected religion as an adult and am now a Jew because that religion best describes my beliefs, though I don't believe in a god. Why does your religion enhance your life?
You've phrased the question in the past tense. Does this mean that you are looking for answers from people who have "progressed" past believing in God?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM

I would like to hear from religious people who believe god and religion has enhanced their life and if so, how?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
...and am now Jewish because this religion describes my beliefs the most, though I don't believe in a god.

How does your religion enhance your life?
I can't answer your question as I don't have a religion. I am curious though about your statement above.

If you don't believe is a god, what was the point to converting to Judaism when that is a god-centric religion? How can it describe your beliefs the most when the first of teh Aseret ha-D'varim of Judaism (Ten Commandments for Christians) is "I am the L-rd Your G-d?" If you don't believe in a god, doesn't that actually make you an atheist? I'm a little confused by what you said.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I can't answer your question as I don't have a religion. I am curious though about your statement above.

If you don't believe is a god, what was the point to converting to Judaism when that is a god-centric religion? How can it describe your beliefs the most when the first of teh Aseret ha-D'varim of Judaism (Ten Commandments for Christians) is "I am the L-rd Your G-d?" If you don't believe in a god, doesn't that actually make you an atheist? I'm a little confused by what you said.
My spouse is Jewish. My kids are Jewish. I learned Judaism to teach my children their history and to give them strength, respect and pride in that history.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
My spouse is Jewish. My kids are Jewish. I learned Judaism to teach my children their history and to give them strength, respect and pride in that history.
Gotcha. That puts things in context. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Gotcha. That puts things in context. Thanks.
I don't care if you put things in context by my answer. How arrogant. If you don't have a religion, which was my original question, why did you respond, Fullback32?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-25-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I don't care if you put things in context by my answer. How arrogant. If you don't have a religion, which was my original question, why did you respond, Fullback32?
Arrogant? No, just trying to understand...there's a difference. Context helps frame a question. As to why I responded, your post spurred a question...simple as that. You said you rejected religion, but became Jewish (which is a religion), but don't believe in god. I was just trying to sort that out as it was confusing.

As to religion, I grew up Catholic. Catholicism created more questions than answers. I left it in 1984. I then tried various non-Catholic denominations including the whole 'born-again" thing. They too created more questions than answers. What I was being taught by the priests and preachers of the various Christian denominations I was involved in simply never jived completely with what I read during my personal study and research into the Bible. That, combined with the incredible amount of hypocrisy I witnesses from both the clergy and the "faithful," I walked away from it all. I came to the conclusion that it was all made up. In short, religion never really enhanced my life at all. I learned way more from my tribal elders and they enhanced my life. What they taught made more sense than anything the Abrahamic religions ever offered. But even with that, agnosticism and saying "I don't know" is actually my current state of mind concerning spiritual matters.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-25-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
Well. I was raised Methodist, but I never really bought into the whole God thing. I did have sex with a number of Catholic girls back in the 1960's when I was in high school. Does that qualify as a religious enhancement?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,221,768 times
Religion has enhanced my life. At one time I was a Fundy but there were just too many unanswered questions and contradictions.

Once I left the church my life improved 100 fold and for the first time in my life everything seemed so clear and uncomplicated. No more fear either.

I guess that qualifies as an enhancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality