Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
I have no interest in engaging with the unpleasant likes of you. Sorry,I'm not your playmate today. Do you really have the time to write these lengthy diatribes to utter strangers? Kind of sad, where are your real family and friends? Why am I worthy of such effort by you?

I'm not some über Christian. I believe in a higher being that (may or may not be Christian.) I believe evolution happened, But that god may still have had a part in our becoming sentient beings. I dont know AIG.

I dont care if you're an atheist. I'm puzzled why you care so much that I'm not.

I'm sure you find trouble locating playmates in the real world too. Mocking, bitter sarcasm only attracts so many. Compassion, kindness, selflessness, respectful interchange, these are traits I admire and am attracted to, regardless of faith. You possess none of them.

Belief in god is a personal choice. Your desire to unduly influence that choice by a total stranger with whom you have no natural quarrel is odd at best. You likely need professional help.

I will not respond to any more of your posts.
Very funny....you say..."I have no interest in engaging with the unpleasant likes of you." Then you do it anyway....So do you have any evidence that a god exists? After all that IS the topic of this thread, but you seem too busy attacking those who disagree with you to even stay on topic, let alone present any evidence....So do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:44 AM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Very funny....you say..."I have no interest in engaging with the unpleasant likes of you." Then you do it anyway....So do you have any evidence that a god exists? After all that IS the topic of this thread, but you seem too busy attacking those who disagree with you to even stay on topic, let alone present any evidence....So do you?
Nothing that different or newer than what others have offered, surely. We know you and your ilk reject all of it. So why would I waste the energy and give you the pleasure, when the response is assured? That really would be stupid of me.

I choose to believe there is a creator, of some kind, who enables our existence. The universe is too complex, and our presence too unlikely, for it just to be a matter of blind luck --- for me. You are free to have another view. Just respect and honor mine, and dont lecture me on why im wrong. I'm happy with where I am, and it in no way harms you or anyone else. Why this would bother you, or how you would see disabusing me of my position as being your job to improve the world, I have no idea.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Even though I'm an atheist, I don't think it's "wrong" for a person to believe in God. I also don't believe it's impossible that God exists, just very unlikely based on the evidence I've seen. But I can also understand why believing in God can make sense to some people and having faith in God can make some people happier, as you point out.

That's all cool. Unfortunately, the problem is that some theists don't stop there, but they go farther than that and say if you don't see and believe things their way, then you won't be "saved" and are condemned to hell. Not only that, they take action against you based on their beliefs and don't hesitate to do the condemning themselves.

That is where I start to take issue. I think we should all live and let live, and not judge other people's freedom of conscience based on our subjective beliefs. That's what makes sense to me.
excellent post , i too despise people who try and force thier beliefs on others , i was a practiscing catholic until i was twenty one but im now athiest but ive no problem with those who draw strength from belief in god , i respect them , all i ask in return is that they respect my POV aswell , i dont mean we have to discuss it in a polite way , we dont need to discuss it at all but if they happen to discover that im athiest , they cannot expect me to be polite if they start rabbiting on about how im going to burn when i die or that i should be gratefull to jesus for dieing for my sins

Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Hopeful View Post
No offense, but I bet you can't do it...
Prove To Me That God Exists (A Personal Challenge) - YouTube

Please note that the wording seen in the Thumbnail of this video makes no sense unless you actuaqlly watch the video. Then it'll probably make sense to you. Oh, and I'm not trying to convert anyone or change anyone's beliefs (I respect ALL personal beliefs because they are what makes us who we are), I am simply trying to get the Christian Community to prove too me (without a reasonable doubt) that their "God" is the ONLY real and true God in the known world. Enjoy the Challenge. I do wonder if someone can help make me a believer in more than what I believe in now. :/

On a side note, I post this here NOT because of Religion, but because of Philosophy, as I consider my personal beliefs more of a Philosophy and a way of life rather than a Religion. But I also post it here because I do want responses from the Religious as well. They are the ones I am Challenging after all.
no one can prove God is real to you--you'll only believe it when you meet Him as i have years ago

Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
To truly understand whether a "God" exists or not we must firstly understand when todays concept of God was created, why todays God was created and by who was todays God created.
One of the sticking points about the God belief system is that we now know for a fact that the Earth is NOT the centre of the Universe which was one of the founding beliefs of the church for a very very long period until people like Capernicus and Galileo busted the hypothesis that we were created in God's image and the Universe revolved around the God chosen Earth, completely. This unravelling of the concept of God is now moving forward everyday and we are no longer having to just believe in whatever the "good book" says... science and proven facts now show the Earth was here long before human life as we know it today evolved. To believe in some kind of God is OK and no one should be stopped from believing watever they want to believe in, after all we use belief everyday to our advantage .... eg we use Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, religion etc to control children and people all over the world every day and probably always will...... but that doesn't make these things fact, merely tools for mass control.

Last edited by geeoro; 04-28-2012 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
"A Personal Challenge - Please PROVE to me that "God" exists"

Please prove to me He doesn't----stale mate. LOL
From a scientific standpoint, a hypothetical all-knowing and all-powerful God is not required to explain anything about life, humans, the earth or the universe. That to me is the strongest evidence against the existence of God.

However, if God is supposed to be a purely spiritual being who never intervenes in nor affects the natural world, then I suppose it's possible that such a God exists in some reality we don't know about or understand. (No religion I know of actually teaches this, although deism comes close). Anyway, I would still bet on God being an imaginary belief.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-28-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Hopeful View Post
No offense, but I bet you can't do it...
Prove To Me That God Exists (A Personal Challenge) - YouTube

Please note that the wording seen in the Thumbnail of this video makes no sense unless you actuaqlly watch the video. Then it'll probably make sense to you. Oh, and I'm not trying to convert anyone or change anyone's beliefs (I respect ALL personal beliefs because they are what makes us who we are), I am simply trying to get the Christian Community to prove too me (without a reasonable doubt) that their "God" is the ONLY real and true God in the known world. Enjoy the Challenge. I do wonder if someone can help make me a believer in more than what I believe in now. :/

On a side note, I post this here NOT because of Religion, but because of Philosophy, as I consider my personal beliefs more of a Philosophy and a way of life rather than a Religion. But I also post it here because I do want responses from the Religious as well. They are the ones I am Challenging after all.

What would be the point of anyone trying to prove to you that your god exists or not. You already have decided within yourself as to whether your god exists or not, so why should anyone else waste their time trying to prove to you that he does. You either believe that he does or he doesn't.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
I just can't see how in this day in age, people believe in God.

They just don't understand the freedom one has without an authoritative figure keeping me accountable for all my actions and trying to make me live righteously through the words of his son.

Why should I live righteously? Look at the example that those in power have set for us.

Atheism gives you the opportunity to do whatever you want and if there is a rule against it, you can change it because there is no fundamental set of rules that usurps man's law.

If I see an attractive female, I can have sex with her and feel no remorse even though I'm currently in a relationship. As long as I cover my tracks, I can do as I wish.

If only people could understand the power of atheism, I think we would be able to convert more people to this lifestyle.

However, I will admit that if we suffer some sort of massive ecological collapse in which the entire world is affected, I may try to convince people they are responsible for their actions when they die because I don't want to be murdered myself.

I know that's hypocritical, but who says I can't lie? I'm an atheist.

And I love it.

Can anyone else relate?
No, I can't! Haven't you got any school homework to do?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:13 AM

132 posts, read 120,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Who says? It's harder to prove the negative so you have the harder job.
No one says, is how it works, it just needs a bit of thinking.

You see, is not rational to have to prove negatives, its implications would make us collapse, is not viable.
For example, it would imply that in order to cry we would need to prove there isn't a supreme command that doesn't wants us to cry.
it would mean we also need to prove a specific dog in the alley doesn't speak french...
we need to prove that everytime you close your eyes an invisible undetectable ghost doesn't laughs at you...

Is not viable to go in life proving everything we can think of or found written or someone preaching it isn't true.

So, the viable healthy rational way is, to prove that it is so, If is not proven, then we go in life as if it doesn't exist. Which DOESN'T mean it doesn't exist AND it doesn't mean the same as claiming it doesn't exist, but because is not verified it doesn't matter then.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
6 Pages of responses and no ones convinced me god exists.
Whats the plan B?

Thanks for post 23..Whippersnapper, one of the more logical posts of the topic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality