Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,604 times

Advertisements

Then that makes him malevolent. That was covered.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
It leaves out the concept of free will. God will not stand in the way of anyone's evil choice.
Evil choice of a child to get cancer? The evil choice to die of Lou Gherig's disease? The Evil choice of slipping on a patch of ice and hitting one's head? The evil choice of getting struck by lightening? The evil choice of being killed by a tidal wave?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM

414 posts, read 776,926 times
Default "Edge your way out - it is possible to move"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Life is suffering.
For example: we have to suffer hunger, no matter how much we eat, we'll always get hungry again. So life without suffering is impossible.
But it doesn't mean you can't have fun.

Originally Posted by Oakback
Not succumbing to despair is generally considered a good thing. And not despairing does make you stronger.
Hi, Tricky, look what one can stumble upon, at the right moment, preferably:
wayne-interessierts.de
???!"

Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,716 times
Our moral sense comes from the knowledge of good and evil.

If you eliminate evil which is what suffering then you would not be wise enough to recognize that you are in a good state. You would just be. Just like baser animals.

Scripture says that this knowledge is what leads us --to be as God's knowing good and evil.

Who here would give it up.

Regards
DL

Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Evil choice of a child to get cancer? The evil choice to die of Lou Gherig's disease? The Evil choice of slipping on a patch of ice and hitting one's head? The evil choice of getting struck by lightening? The evil choice of being killed by a tidal wave?
actually every one of those IS CHOSEN by free will at a soul level by the human who chooses to experience them. We have free will at a human level, and we have free will at a soul level. Everything i experience, I chose, in complete agreement with myself and with all other parties involved.

it is not about "blame" (blaming god or blaming someone else for misfortune) it is about taking responsibility. Not blame, but responsibility

if my soul chooses something to happen, it must have had a pretty darn good reason for doing so, and in that context everything in my life makes sense, and everything about god makes sense.

there is no evil, there is no suffering, there is no random chance, there is no coincidence, there are no victims, and there is no blame. There is a loving god, there is my free will (at a human level, and at a soul level), and there are natural laws in place and natural consequences for actions, that are not about god punishing anyone, but about me taking responsibility for the quality of my life and what i create in my life.

if i rob banks and kill people, then the natural consequence is that i go to jail or prison. if i get away with it this lifetime, then somewhere down the road in another lifetime i get robbed and killed. poor victim me? nope, natural law in action.

that is not evil god punishing, that is natural laws of the universe in action
so do unto others is not just a snappy slogan or theological platitude, it is a statement of natural law that is a powerful motivator for me to clean up my act or pay the price later

Old 10-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
actually every one of those IS CHOSEN by free will at a soul level by the human who chooses to experience them. We have free will at a human level, and we have free will at a soul level. Everything i experience, I chose, in complete agreement with myself and with all other parties involved.

it is not about "blame" (blaming god or blaming someone else for misfortune) it is about taking responsibility. Not blame, but responsibility

if my soul chooses something to happen, it must have had a pretty darn good reason for doing so, and in that context everything in my life makes sense, and everything about god makes sense.

there is no evil, there is no suffering, there is no random chance, there is no coincidence, there are no victims, and there is no blame. There is a loving god, there is my free will (at a human level, and at a soul level), and there are natural laws in place and natural consequences for actions, that are not about god punishing anyone, but about me taking responsibility for the quality of my life and what i create in my life.

if i rob banks and kill people, then the natural consequence is that i go to jail or prison. if i get away with it this lifetime, then somewhere down the road in another lifetime i get robbed and killed. poor victim me? nope, natural law in action.

that is not evil god punishing, that is natural laws of the universe in action
so do unto others is not just a snappy slogan or theological platitude, it is a statement of natural law that is a powerful motivator for me to clean up my act or pay the price later
If a soul can chose evil then it also must be able to chose good. Yes?

I do not remember any concious chosing before birth. Do you and how do we know that the soul can chose?

Regards
DL

Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
If a soul can chose evil then it also must be able to chose good. Yes?

I do not remember any concious chosing before birth. Do you and how do we know that the soul can chose?

Regards
DL
yes, we can choose evil or we can choose good because we have free will
that is the gift of being a human

in between lives and incarnations we have full memory of all our lives
during a specific incarnation that memory is, for the most part, veiled
there are ways to access that memory

how do we know that the soul can choose?

there is a lot of teaching, writing, and literature on the subject that is consistent across time, across culture, across a variety of spiritual traditions that says the same thing

there is personal experience described by many people, and experienced by many people

and ultimately the only guide that really matters to a person in any spiritual arena, is what "rings true" for that person, and what they experience in their own life. for me it's the only framework that explains things that otherwise "don't make sense" to me that i have experienced in my own life; and it is also for me the only framework that gives dignity and meaning to the things I have personally experienced in my own life.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
yes, we can choose evil or we can choose good because we have free will
that is the gift of being a human

in between lives and incarnations we have full memory of all our lives
during a specific incarnation that memory is, for the most part, veiled
there are ways to access that memory

how do we know that the soul can choose?

there is a lot of teaching, writing, and literature on the subject that is consistent across time, across culture, across a variety of spiritual traditions that says the same thing

there is personal experience described by many people, and experienced by many people

and ultimately the only guide that really matters to a person in any spiritual arena, is what "rings true" for that person, and what they experience in their own life. for me it's the only framework that explains things that otherwise "don't make sense" to me that i have experienced in my own life; and it is also for me the only framework that gives dignity and meaning to the things I have personally experienced in my own life.
Knowing human nature, who would chose to accept pain or sickness or evil. Not many right?

Why then are we not all healthy, welthy and wise.

Why would some return just to starve or die as babies?

Regards
DL

Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Knowing human nature, who would chose to accept pain or sickness or evil. Not many right?

Why then are we not all healthy, welthy and wise.

Why would some return just to starve or die as babies?

Regards
DL
LOL that's what my friend Ronnie said, "Then why aren't we all thin, blonde and rich?"

live in the question and see where it takes you
what's important is who we grow into as we explore and attempt to resolve those very questions you ask and all the other "big questions" in life

Old 10-01-2008, 05:47 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
It leaves out the concept of free will. God will not stand in the way of anyone's evil choice.
There's alot of evil and suffering that isn't caused by someone's choice to cause suffering such as bodily decay, terminal disease, the death of a loved one, natural disasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality