Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM

132 posts, read 120,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelist-77 View Post

I'll give you 2 things to think about ...

I've been there and done it ... seen everything done "in the name of Jesus",
except raising of the dead and creation of a missing limb.
None of my spiritual experiences go against what the Bible teaches, promises, etc.

The Bible warns ...
Satan is the ruler of this world
Satan is the "god" of this world (small "g")
Satan is a great liar
Satan is a great deceiver
and many etc.

Ignore my 2 points above at your own risk. Good luck!
Is my moral obligation to explain and let you know how your Honest and Good intentions are flawed.

Going in life with unverified "medicine" to "save" people is dishonest and immoral, doesn't matter if is verified to you which makes you feel good intentional and right doer, but it isn't from the moment that you could be wrong and because you want to do good the responsible way is you wanting to show the world how is it true and verified.

The fact that people accepts this belief DOESN'T make it true either, and this also feeds your sense of "rightness" and being in the right path, but humans are capable of accepting ideas for invalid reasons.

So Theists are Theists because A) Indoctrination B) Others do it C) I like it... D) Personal evidence(which can be flawed) etc. etc
All of these are invalid reasons, not because I say so, but because the implications.

That's why Theism is still alive, because its nature matches the average human nature of attraction to the seductive and wishful concepts, when none of these may be direct related to the proposal being true.

Last edited by giorgiomax; 05-02-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:

None of my spiritual experiences go against what the Bible teaches, promises, etc.

The Bible warns ...
Satan is a great liar
and many etc.

Ignored

<later>

gee, still here, no lightning strikes

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

The Bible warns ...
Satan is a great liar
and many etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ignored

<later>

gee, still here, no lightning strikes
Not here, either, but there is still a bottle of water on my desk waiting for some Theist to pray to Jesusgod to turn it into wine in which case I will convert to Christianity.

That is my challenge to the evangelist and I can guarantee that the response (if any ) will be an evasion along the 'sometimes says 'No' or 'Thou shalts nots tempts..' line.

Josh had it right. Internet is showing up the tawdry evangelical methods of these....evangelicals...for the dishonest huckstering that it is....the cheek of trying out the hoary old veiled hellthreat on seasoned old Godbusters like us...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,495 times
Notice how upfront some of these people are about "having access to kids."

It's kind of creepy.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So Christians are losing out in the market place of ideas? So much for free market principles.

Seems to me that evangelicals have as opportunity to post their views than ever before as well, it isn't their fault that logic, rational thought and science have a more compelling story to tell.
Most evangelicals are just not very good at explaining the teachings of CHRIST. If Jesus walked the earth today he would be a great contributor to science...If you have a God given brain you will understand that Jesus had a grasp of quantum mechanics and understood nature and natural law. His understanding of physics during his time was a couple of thousand years beyond what most understood.

So I don't understand fully why science or common knowledge is so separated from Christianity. It is not in my estimation the will of Christ that we should live in ignorance of fact. It may over the centuries been the agenda of the clergy to block people from being like Christ which would have made church and state obsolete.

The mythical entity that is called the "Beast" may be mindless collective consciousness of a whole planet interconnected like insects by technology- that mis-use of digital communication could result in a Beast...that would be heartless- disrespectful of the individual and steam roll over humanity taking away man's humanity and turning him into a collective that is more like a machine or an insect colony..

For instance the corporate religion that is Islam or the highly regulated Catholic faith....already are a bee hive of de-humanization - Look at Mecca...as they circle around the great cube containing a rock...it's disturbing because it reminds one of thousands of water bugs circling in full bodied conspiracy (breathing as one)...It is the attack against the individual that will allow the ugly head of the mindless Beast rise.

The reason why it is called the Beast is because a beast has no mind- no compassionate heart and control over power that it achieves.

The net can be used safely by those who understand this- The defect in the net is the fact that those that use it refuse to show their faces or publish their names and locations...If you are going to speak- show your face! If you you want to lurk in the darkness and cry out - it is cowardice. If you have faith and understanding....You must be fearless- or be still and shut up.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Most evangelicals are just not very good at explaining the teachings of CHRIST. If Jesus walked the earth today he would be a great contributor to science...If you have a God given brain you will understand that Jesus had a grasp of quantum mechanics and understood nature and natural law. His understanding of physics during his time was a couple of thousand years beyond what most understood.
What evidence is there that Jesus understood any physics discovered since Newton?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM

238 posts, read 270,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
... how come some bible believing Christian hasn't been able to pull it off
With your reference to raising the dead (above), please google Smith Wigglesworth ...
he is credited with being involved with this, something like 5 times.

One thing to keep in mind ...
Romans 1 says man has NO excuse for not seeing God in nature,
and ditto for in his own conscience (not in Romans 1).

Almighty God doesn't have ANY need at all to perform parlour tricks for people.
Those whom He wishes to believe in Him, etc. ... He has NO problem arranging that.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
With your reference to raising the dead (above), please google Smith Wigglesworth ...

One thing to keep in mind ...
Romans 1 says man has NO excuse for not seeing God in nature,
and ditto for in his own conscience (not in Romans 1).

Almighty God doesn't have ANY need at all to perform parlour tricks for people.
Those whom He wishes to believe in Him, etc. ... He has NO problem arranging that.
Malarky with a big side of poppycock.

That his biographer claimed and Wigglesworth "was said" to have raised the dead is meaningless. Unless verified by a disinterested third party, it is only a claim and nothing more. As has been said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. I want to see someone do it NOW in front of a scientific panel. I'd wager a gazillion dollars that it can't be done nor will any Christian even attempt it.

People claim things all the time. It usually turns out to be B.S. Great excuse for your god though. Funny how he used to perform "parlour tricks" for the Israelites, I don't know, like supposedly parting the waters in front of all children of Israel to get them to believe, but he's totally disinterested in doing so now.

As to your Romans 1 quote, shoot we Indians could see the Creator in nature even before 1492. We needed no white man nor his book to tell us so. BTW, my tribe's holy men were said to have been able to do all sorts of things as well. They were said to be able to heal people, ward off evil spirits and some were even said to be able turn into animals. Do believe that they did so just because they and, yes, even "eyewitnesses" said they did?

If not, how are you to expect me to believe that this Wigglesworth fellow or, for that matter, any of the miracles performed by Jesus or even your god are true based on the same evidence?

Last edited by Fullback32; 05-03-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Apparently they hadn't invented lying back then.

The technology simply didn't exist.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,110,339 times
Quote:
Really?? Cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality