Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

My life history is spread all over this forum..I am probably about the oldest one here. Except I really feel very young. I have been married and divorced and remarried the same man for 47 years. We have 4 children and nine grandchildren. I am the mother hen of the family and keep them all pretty much under my wing. Five of the grandchildren have mostly lived with me, so I have never experienced the empty nest syndrom.Most of you know my religion history. I dropped out of the nondenominational church I attended for many years. I am at peace with my beliefs..I am very attached to the people here that are my extended family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
cg, I thought you were a woman..

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
cg, I thought you were a woman..
Yikes! I did that to mams1559. BTW cg81, I thought you were a dude

Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM

72,407 posts, read 18,196,480 times
You guys are soooo young! ahem... won't tell,but early 50's.Born in Spain,travelled a lot with my parents,single no kids,.I have a large family because my father who passed away last December had 13 brothers and sisters,I think 5 had died already,most live in the east coast,large Catholic family,some cousins married non catholics,we even have a website,I converted to Judaism 12 years ago,if you want to know why I will answer privately.I know God has other plans for me. I learned a lot in my lifetime.I have been a realtor since 1989,seen ups and downs.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Oh my, I didn't realize we were letting it all hang out, age and all I will be 44 in November. Oh my, where have all the years gone??? Married at a very young age of 18 and dh was 21. We have been married for 25 1/2 years and have two boys, 13 and 19.

Of course, I live in MS. in what was once a very rural area, but now is growing by leaps and bounds. I have a chocolate Lab who is my shadow and an 18 year old cat named Umbrella.

We own our own business and are both working as well for the water system in our area. I am lucky, I get to work from home and absolutely love it.

I was raised a Baptist and attended our town church for many years. I now am searching for a new church home and have spent the most time in a nearby Presbyterian church and feel very at home there. This church also has Bible Studies which I simply find energizing as it is women only. I have learned a lot about the Bible, especially the OT during these studies as well as made a lot of friends.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Some of you probably know my "basics" by now, but here's a quick summary... I'll be 31 in exactly a month (10/20), single, no children, 2 cats & a dog, and work as a reference/youth librarian. I was born in Maryland, and my family moved to the SF Bay Area when I was 6 - so this is basically my hometown. I'm 100% Jewish (Reform), and my family is of Ukrainian & Polish heritage... though I have bright red hair, and people usually assume I'm Irish Catholic. I have an older married sister, who's literally about to have a baby, and a younger brother who lives in San Diego with his girlfriend. What else? I'm also a semi-professional classical musician (viola, also play 6 other instruments), and have too many tattoos to count. Yes, I'm a walking contradiction - LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-20-2007 at 05:03 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 08:23 AM

72,407 posts, read 18,196,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Some of you probably know my "basics" by now, but here's a quick summary... I'll be 31 in exactly a month (10/20), single, no children, 2 cats & a dog, and work as a reference/youth librarian. I was born in Maryland, and my family moved to the SF Bay Area when I was 6 - so this is basically my hometown. I'm 100% Jewish (Reform), and my family is of Ukrainian & Polish heritage... though I have bright red hair, and people usually assume I'm Irish Catholic. I have an older married sister, who's literally about to have a baby, and a younger brother who lives in San Diego with his girlfriend. What else? I'm also a semi-professional classical musician (viola, also play 6 other instruments), and have too many tattoos to count. Yes, I'm a walking contradiction - LOL.
Oh! my birthday is 10/10,coming up soon!
About those tattoos,it's ok,you are not religious

Old 09-20-2007, 01:09 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I've got shoes older than some of you!! That's all I am going to say about that.

I do want to say that when I was younger, about the age of some of you, I tended to be very sure of my opinions about things. As I have aged, I have met many, many more people and had many, many more life experiences that have changed the way I look at other people and what they think. Every year that goes by is a new awakening to different things. I'm still finding out things about this world. I rejoice in discovery.

At one time, I taught Sunday School, I had no problem with making decisions about who was saved and who wasn't and what was the "right" way. I would probably been Pro-life if abortions were legal. Then, as the years passed, I met more people, and things got a little cloudier. More life experiences, more people, more studies, and my attitudes changed.

I guess I was in my late forties before I met a lot of wonderful, devout Jewish people. I found their outlook on religious matters to be very enlightening.

I am very content with who I am now. I can say that I don't know for sure about some things and it doesn't bother me one whit.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Oh! my birthday is 10/10,coming up soon!
Yay Libras, and happy early birthday! Are you a dragon too? I'm actually a fire dragon, which is supposedly the most powerful Chinese zodiac sign.

Quote:
About those tattoos,it's ok,you are not religious
LOL... I wasn't worried anyway.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Talking Lets talk about sex....I mean signs, Baby! About you and me.

I was born under the sign of Aries in the year of the Boar.
When I was still in college there was a course in religion & the human subconscious. Since it was given over the weekends in a Belgian monastery I preferred doing this course over other courses spread over a longer time-period. I mean I might as well get it over and done with quickly.
So at the end of the 1st day the professor told us that spirit animals would be our first subject in the next morning. Of course that night I had a dream. I always thought that the wolf was my spirit animal because I’m a real lone wolf and all, but instead of dreaming of a wolf I dreamt about something else entirely. I dreamt about trees and lots of twigs.
When I woke up I could only remember dreaming about treetops and twigs. And I had the Dutch word eenhoorn (=a unicorn in English) engraved in my mind. I mean, seriously? Unicorns are for females (not that there is anything wrong with being a female). I kept thinking about it while I prepared myself for a brand-new day. I refused to believe that a unicorn represents me in some way ( although it has been said that only true female virgins are able to ride a unicorn). So while I was brushing my teeth I suddenly remembered my vacation in Austria when I was little. We always went to a park to feed a squirrel (= eekhoorn in Dutch) who always kept following us.
So at the beginning of the class the prof asked if we had something interesting to tell about spirit animals and I started to tell about my dream. I ended with the conclusion that I probably mixed my eenhoorns with eekhoorns. I mean a unicorn is a mythical beast but a squirrel? I told the class that a squirrel probably isn’t a totem animal anyway. Which was when the prof corrected me. Squirrels were the gatherers and she believed them to be fast thinkers because they jump nimbly from tree to tree.
From that day on I believe that the squirrel is indeed my totem animal.

Quote:
Aries
Motto: I am
Personality:
The sign of Aries represents the beginning of all things.
People born under this sign do not take kindly to being misunderstood or mistaken for something they are not.
They are spontaneous, frank and open--but can be self- centered and wilful.
They view the world with awe and wonder.
They posses the impulses to explore and to be a star and shine.
They demand attention. They have a strong desire to lead.
They are original and idealistic pioneers.
They must beware of self-doubt--it is like poison to them.

The Boar
Boars are self-reliant, very sociable, dependable, and extremely determined. Boars are peace lovers and don't hold grudges. They hate arguments, tense situations, and try to bring both sides together. In life they make deep and long-lasting friendships. Boars enjoy social gatherings of all kinds, and look for parties to attend. In fact, Boars must watch themselves so that their incessant pursuit of pleasure doesn't interfere with other aspects of their lives. Boars belong to clubs and they make terrific fund raisers. They have a real knack for charity and social work. Boars always listen to problems. They won't mind getting involved and try to help. Boars have big hearts. A problem that Boars have is that they are too innocent and naive. Being honest and trustworthy themselves, they have a hard time understanding the motives of those with less scruples. Horoscope - Chinese Zodiac - Boar
Quote:
Squirell - Gathering
The medicine or teaching attributed to Squirrel, is that of gathering resources, and storing them safely for a time of need. This behavioural pattern can be seen as a wisdom which we can apply to our modern lives, as it is the wise person who prepares for the future. Whether it be material things like money or food, or personal opinions or ideals, Squirrel teaches us to reserve something for future use, and to be prepared. The shadow wisdom of this medicine is that it's important not to gather so much that the things that no longer serve you end up getting in your way. This can apply to objects and possessions as well as fears and negative thoughts. Gather only wisdom and caring, to set your mind free in the knowledge that all is taken care of. Metal Storm - Native American Power Animals Collection

Last edited by Tricky D; 09-21-2007 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality