Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I gave this a lot of thought before I chose Christ . . . because the mainstream Christian religions are heinous misrepresentations of Christ, His unambiguous example and His teachings. But I recognized that the central element in Christianity IS Christ . . . not the religions that have co-opted His name and corrupted His message of love and acceptance with evil "precepts and doctrines of men". . . like Eternal Torment or Annihilation. It is futile, I know . . . as they are the majority and actually believe that by following specific "precepts and doctrines of men" they are Christians.

The conundrum that presented itself to me is that the consciousness I encounter in deep meditation is unconditional love and acceptance as exemplified by Christ. So I identify as a Christian. I consider . . . as Bibleans . . . all those who do not accept His message of unconditional love and acceptance and who revere the words "written in ink" in the Bible over Christ's commands to "love God and each other." Since I know what it means to be a Christian deep down in our inner soul . . . that is all that matters to me . . . not public perceptions.
So if I understand, you identify as a Christian because you accept the concept of Christ, which to you represents love and acceptance, and not so much because of the biblical or historical depiction of Jesus.

Almost, but not quite, Christ as a metaphor.

Interesting paradigm, if I understand you correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
So if I understand, you identify as a Christian because you accept the concept of Christ, which to you represents love and acceptance, and not so much because of the biblical or historical depiction of Jesus.
Almost, but not quite, Christ as a metaphor.
Interesting paradigm, if I understand you correctly.
It is quite a bit more complicated than that, Box. If you want to understand it you have to ask yourself what the purpose of scripture would actually be and how our consciousness would relate to what God desires from us as a species, Box. The idea that the scriptures have a spiritual purpose . . . NOT worldy . . . is beyond important. Spiritual means within our consciousness and relates to the cognitive constructs we create within it that resonate with us. Our species spiritual development and maturity as evidenced in the evolution of the "spiritual fossil record" follows a spiritual DNA template across generations and cultures . . . culminating conceptually in Christ as Savior, IMO. This suggests that there is a cognitive pattern for acceptance of God in the human consciousness.

The cognitive concept of the Savior (as epitomized by Christ) is the most highly evolved version of its more primitive and carnal antecedents (frequently used to claim plagiarism, etc.). This validates Christ as the real deal to me. His acceptance and tenacity over millennia combined with the resonance of the Savior concept within human consciousness . . . adds credibility to the effectiveness of the cognitive template. IMO there is no more perfect expression of the Savior concept and maitri (or agape love) than Christ (not Horus, not Krishna, not Mithras, not Buddha . . . not whoever).

I appreciate your return to posting, Box. You have a brilliant, inquisitive, insightful and open mind. I hope this clarifies what is actually a far more complex theological rationale behind my selection of Christ.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM

707 posts, read 687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
Is faith based on little or no evidence reasonable?

I will give my own reply to this shortly.
It does also depend on what classifies as evidence and reasonable evidence. Evidence is not the same as proof in the courtroom way of thinking.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 PM

278 posts, read 357,682 times
Quote:
It is quite a bit more complicated than that, Box. If you want to understand it you have to ask yourself what the purpose of scripture would actually be and how our consciousness would relate to what God desires from us as a species, Box. The idea that the scriptures have a spiritual purpose . . . NOT worldy . . . is beyond important. Spiritual means within our consciousness and relates to the cognitive constructs we create within it that resonate with us. Our species spiritual development and maturity as evidenced in the evolution of the "spiritual fossil record" follows a spiritual DNA template across generations and cultures . . . culminating conceptually in Christ as Savior, IMO. This suggests that there is a cognitive pattern for acceptance of God in the human consciousness.

The cognitive concept of the Savior (as epitomized by Christ) is the most highly evolved version of its more primitive and carnal antecedents (frequently used to claim plagiarism, etc.). This validates Christ as the real deal to me. His acceptance and tenacity over millennia combined with the resonance of the Savior concept within human consciousness . . . adds credibility to the effectiveness of the cognitive template. IMO there is no more perfect expression of the Savior concept and maitri (or agape love) than Christ (not Horus, not Krishna, not Mithras, not Buddha . . . not whoever).

I appreciate your return to posting, Box. You have a brilliant, inquisitive, insightful and open mind. I hope this clarifies what is actually a far more complex theological rationale behind my selection of Christ.
In what way have we spiritually evolved? What is the "fossil record" for spiritual evolution?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 PM

707 posts, read 687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen
Hebrews 11:1

Old 05-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
In what way have we spiritually evolved? What is the "fossil record" for spiritual evolution?
The "spiritual Fossil record" are the myths, legends, scriptures, oral traditions, etc. chronicling our species attempts to understand the concept of God intellectually (spiritually/cognitively) from its earliest formulations. "Spiritual" relates to our cognitive state of understanding and relating to the concept of God as it has evolved from primitive animism to today.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
........The cognitive concept of the Savior (as epitomized by Christ) is the most highly evolved version of its more primitive and carnal antecedents (frequently used to claim plagiarism, etc.). This validates Christ as the real deal to me. His acceptance and tenacity over millennia combined with the resonance of the Savior concept within human consciousness . . . adds credibility to the effectiveness of the cognitive template. IMO there is no more perfect expression of the Savior concept and maitri (or agape love) than Christ (not Horus, not Krishna, not Mithras, not Buddha . . . not whoever).

Savior from what? According to the NT, it's salvation from eternal damnation in Hell - and yes, it does say that in several places, even Jesus himself said it plainly: matt 25:46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

That to me is not an "epitome" teaching, it seems a bit childish compared to the Buddhist version of salvation, imo.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Savior from what? According to the NT, it's salvation from eternal damnation in Hell - and yes, it does say that in several places, even Jesus himself said it plainly: matt 25:46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

That to me is not an "epitome" teaching, it seems a bit childish compared to the Buddhist version of salvation, imo.
The corrupt interpretation of salvation from hell or whatever is just wrong. It is salvation from permanent separation from God consciousness because no human consciousness had achieved perfect resonance. Christ DID. His human consciousness connected ALL human consciousness eliminating any separation. Our collective human consciousness now has access to Christ's perfection . . . if only in some imperfect harmonic resonance.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM

278 posts, read 357,682 times
Quote:
The "spiritual Fossil record" are the myths, legends, scriptures, oral traditions, etc. chronicling our species attempts to understand the concept of God intellectually (spiritually/cognitively) from its earliest formulations. "Spiritual" relates to our cognitive state of understanding and relating to the concept of God as it has evolved from primitive animism to today.
Ok. But who says these ideas have gotten more complex? In what exact way have they evolved? In complexity? In getting more and more accurate?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Ok. But who says these ideas have gotten more complex? In what exact way have they evolved? In complexity? In getting more and more accurate?
To take one example from the Mithraic legend:

On Black Friday (c.f. Good Friday) the taurobolium, or bull-slaying was represented. . . . Mithras, worn out by the battle, was symbolically represented by a stone image lain on a bier as a corpse. He was mourned for in liturgy, and placed in a sacred rock tomb called 'Petra,' from which he was removed after three days in a great festival of rejoicing.

Slaying the bull (or beast/animal) is a more concrete way of representing the conquering of our animal nature. The more evolved expression of the same theme is Christ enduring the scourging and crucifixion out of love by conquering the most primal of our animal drives . . . survival. It is clear that the earlier Mithras myth is at a more primitive level of symbolism - what we call a more concrete level of cognition - whereas the Jesus version is at a more evolved and abstract level of cognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality