Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times

Advertisements

Do Scientists Believe In God | What do scientists think about religion? - Los Angeles Times

According to the Pew poll folks:

According to a survey of members of the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center in May and June this year, a majority of scientists (51%) say they believe in God or a higher power, while 41% say they do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
1. I've never heard of the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science.
2. 2009 is not "this year".
3. Depending on how one counts a scientist, I would say that's pretty close to right. A scientist is probably 5 or 6 times more likely to be an atheist than the average citizen. Where as a convicted felon will almost certainly be a Christian, with a few that other religions, at a rate far higher than the national average.

If you count only "esteemed scientist", (members of prestigious scientific societies) the number goes into the 90% range. But if you count your average pharmacist as a scientist, that number wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway you look at it, the more educated you are, the less likely you are to believe in god.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
3. Depending on how one counts a scientist, I would say that's pretty close to right. A scientist is probably 5 or 6 times more likely to be an atheist than the average citizen. Where as a convicted felon will almost certainly be a Christian, with a few that other religions, at a rate far higher than the national average.

If you count only "esteemed scientist", (members of prestigious scientific societies) the number goes into the 90% range. But if you count your average pharmacist as a scientist, that number wouldn't surprise me.
Her ya go. Seems the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science is big, and old dating to 1848. But since you aren't a scientist you were not aware of them. Nor was I. AAAS - What is AAAS?

But you have heard of the Pew folk.

Your 2009 remark is worth this:

Hurts when preconceived notions are proved wrong. I understand. Happens to me.

Rifleman said only 5% of scientists believe in God. So I did a little research and what I found is in the OP.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Among scientists

BELIEF IN PERSONAL GOD 1914... 1933..... 1998
Personal belief ...................27.7....... 15......... 7.0
Personal disbelief ...............52.7....... 68....... 72.2
Doubt or agnosticism ........20.9....... 17 ...... 20.8

Disbelief in God and immortality among NAS biological scientists was 65.2% and 69.0%, respectively, and among NAS physical scientists it was 79.0% and 76.3%. Most of the rest were agnostics on both issues, with few believers. We found the highest percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality).

FreethoughtPedia.com

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Among scientists

BELIEF IN PERSONAL GOD 1914... 1933..... 1998
Personal belief ...................27.7....... 15......... 7.0
Personal disbelief ...............52.7....... 68....... 72.2
Doubt or agnosticism ........20.9....... 17 ...... 20.8

Disbelief in God and immortality among NAS biological scientists was 65.2% and 69.0%, respectively, and among NAS physical scientists it was 79.0% and 76.3%. Most of the rest were agnostics on both issues, with few believers. We found the highest percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality).

FreethoughtPedia.com
I'll go with an organization that has no ax to grind like the Pew folk as opposed to an atheist organization,who has an agenda. I could find a Christian organization that probably woulf find the majority of scientists did belive in God. Such is agenda.

From your site:Larson and Witham present the results of a replication of 1913 and 1933 surveys by James H. Leuba. In those surveys, Leuba mailed a questionnaire to leading scientists asking about their belief in "a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind" and in "personal immortality". Larson and Witham used the same wording [as in the Leuba studies], and sent their questionnaire to 517 members of the [U.S.] National Academy of Sciences from the biological and physical sciences (the latter including mathematicians, physicists and astronomers). The return rate was slightly over 50%.

250 people. Only half responded to mailings. Not to mention a crafted way of questioning. Not very good polling practices. But designed to acheive a desired result.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Her ya go. Seems the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science is big, and old dating to 1848. But since you aren't a scientist you were not aware of them. Nor was I. AAAS - What is AAAS?

But you have heard of the Pew folk.

Your 2009 remark is worth this:

Hurts when preconceived notions are proved wrong. I understand. Happens to me.

Rifleman said only 5% of scientists believe in God. So I did a little research and what I found is in the OP.
Ah, they produce Science, which is indeed reputable.

But as I said before, depending on what one means by a scientist, I would agree that figure is about right.

Riflemen was probably mistakenly referring to reputable scientist, in societies where you have to do more than just pay a membership fee to get in.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
An article in a newspaper that is clearly labeled "Opinion"

He also works for Pew, thus it can be assumed he is favorable to their results, and a company drum beater.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM

278 posts, read 357,527 times
Quote:
Do Scientists Believe In God | What do scientists think about religion? - Los Angeles Times

According to the Pew poll folks:

According to a survey of members of the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center in May and June this year, a majority of scientists (51%) say they believe in God or a higher power, while 41% say they do not.
What we find is that ones belief as an adult is greatly influences by ones upbringing as a child and this is no exception for scientists. If this nation was Islamic then we would expect a large number of scientists to be Muslim. What is most important is how that compares to the general population.

Compare the view of the scientific community to the general public.

Notice that while 51% of scientists believe in God or a higher power, only 33% believe in God compared to 83% of the general public who believe in God. So 18% of scientists believe in some sort of spiritualism or deism. Even when you add these two groups together you get a majority who believe in at least a higher power, 51%, but it only made a majority by 1%.

And you say "only" 41% of scientists don't believe in God. This to me sounds like a significant minority only 9% from 50%. Compare this to 4% of the general public who do not believe in God.

Further, take a look at this chart.

17% of scientists are atheists compared to only 2% of Americans who are atheists. 30% of Scientists are Christian compared to 75% of Americans who are Christian.

Further take a look at this data.

Notice that among physists and astronomers those people who are most likely to know about the secrets of the universe 46% don't believe in a higher power, while 43% do.
Scientists and Belief - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM

27,540 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Science became a threat to religion in the 16th century.

Science became a fighter of religion in the 19th century.

Finally, science became the nemesis of religion in the 21st century.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM

278 posts, read 357,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

Anyway you look at it, the more educated you are, the less likely you are to believe in god.
What numbers are you using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality