U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 PM

4,063 posts, read 6,032,842 times

Advertisements

To begin with, I don't subscribe to what is in the bible.
My reasons are quite simple.
The bible was written by people who lived during the time of it's creation.
What the bible offers is, a look into religious history through the eyes and ears of those who participated in it's creation.
In the world we live in today, those people would be called reporters.
They came, they saw, and they wrote what ( and here is the kicker)they believed they saw, and heard, much like reporters do today.
And like reporters of today, the written word is not always factual.
As with reporting today, you could take three or four distinguished reporters and get many interpretation of the same incident.
This is something to consider when studying the content of the bible, both testaments.
How can any person know for sure that what is written in the bible is truthful?
In the world of reporting in modern times, especially of late, the reporter's personal opinions, are interjected in what should be unbiased reporting.
Now only a moron would think that was not the case with the writing of the bible.
Does any one really think the reporters getting the facts back then, are not guilty of the same thing?
Let us take any subject written about in the bible, and look at the different interpretations.
In Genesis, it states God made man, and then woman.
Who among these biblical scholars were around to witness this fete?
None, so how does it appear in the bible as fact?
The garden of Eden is also mentioned in the bible.
Was the reporting precise enough to tell readers just where this garden is located?
I don't think so.
Were Adam and his Eve conceived here on earth, or some other planet, and placed here?
Guess we will never know because none of the biblical scholars cared to report about such an important event.
The bible states man shall not lie with man.
What proof do we have that those words were uttered by God almighty, or Jesus Christ?
We only have the word(s) of reporters of the time that those words were spoken.
At this point,it is pure speculation.
We don't have, and frankly are unable to prove, that these words weren't the personal feelings of one or more reporters of the time,and their personal feelings were interjected as biblical fact, much like reporting is done today.
If you don't think it is happening today, perhaps a little checking of the hot topics in the news today will prove otherwise.
In the days of the biblical reporting, the reporters had names like James, John, David, Mark Luke etc.etc.
Are they any different than today's reporters?
Today, the names may be different, but the reporting goes on, the same way it did when the reporters entered their script into the bible.
Just because some reporter wrote it, does not make it so.
For those of you who live by the bible, I say that is your business, and for those of us who find it difficult to believe, because it is only the written word, it would appear we can never come to grips with one another's belief.
So, if the words in the bible(and they are just that) are to be believed, what proof do you have that what is written is the truth?
Please don't answer by saying it is so because it is in the bible, and it is the spoken word.
It may well be the spoken word, but the question is, who's word?
I seriously doubt that the God that created man would somehow rebel against his creation because it did not turn out as expected.
If all humans were meant to be heterosexual instead of something else, you can damm well bet the creator would have stopped it in it's tracks if it had gone afoul of his great plan for man.
You who rely on the bible for your learning should consider that those responsible for the writing of the bible were human, mortal man,and like any mortal, are prone to mistakes, and mis-interpretations.
The bible should NEVER be taken as gospel, but a correlation of twisted meaning,and interpretations by the reporters of the time.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM

12,259 posts, read 16,930,306 times
The bible is still with us because underneath all the preposterous stories pandered as literal truth, it is actually full of deep, applicable philosophy and archetypal images that are important and meaningful to the human condition.

Simply enough, it appeals to the human mind...especially for those who aren't cerebral enough to consciously pick out and appreciate the deep stuff without getting bogged down in semantics and storytime, but are still capable of subconsciously taking them in.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM

10,455 posts, read 9,441,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The bible is still with us because underneath all the preposterous stories pandered as literal truth, it is actually full of deep, applicable philosophy and archetypal images that are important and meaningful to the human condition.

Simply enough, it appeals to the human mind...especially for those who aren't cerebral enough to consciously pick out and appreciate the deep stuff without getting bogged down in semantics and storytime, but are still capable of subconsciously taking them in.

You know I find this interesting, I have never had a copy of the Christian sacred book in my home until recently to use as a reference and I was never raised with one in the home.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 PM

12,259 posts, read 16,930,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know I find this interesting, I have never had a copy of the Christian sacred book in my home until recently to use as a reference and I was never raised with one in the home.
They make handy doorstops too!

It's funny how so many Christians either miss or don't consciously value the philosophy and archetypes of their book, but instead insist on treating it like a literal history book and an artifact for veneration. They completely miss the best part!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM

10,455 posts, read 9,441,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
They make handy doorstops too!

It's funny how so many Christians either miss or don't consciously value the philosophy and archetypes of their book, but instead insist on treating it like a literal history book and an artifact for veneration. They completely miss the best part!
I'll have to remember that the next time I need a doorstop......... Might be a little better than that old dictionary that I presently use.....

Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM

5,563 posts, read 5,733,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
-snipped for brevity-
The bible should NEVER be taken as gospel, but a correlation of twisted meaning,and interpretations by the reporters of the time.
Bob.
Good post. The fact is that modern day scholars have been able to fact check many of the biblical claims and the biblical literalists do not like or simply ignore these findings.

Contrary to popular belief, the OT was not penned 3300 years ago. It came about very much later. Much of it was borrowed from other cultures and rewritten.

The key crunch is that the epic of exodus never happened. This is where the alleged laws were passed on to an equally fictitious moses at mount Sinai. Only the mountain is real, the claims of 2-6M folk wandering the desert is refuted by simple math as to their water and food requirements and there is no archaeological footprint whatsoever, stuff like graves, artefacts. Plus the big elephant standing in the room, no ark of the covenant or the stone tablets.

The laws are thus man made and borrowed from other cultures.

The main problem in this regard, is confirmation bias. Folk do not know the real facts or choose to ignore them, accepting rather the often unschooled pulpiteers' opinions and interpretations.

The gay parts have morphed over time to address temple prostitutes, masturbation to homosexual, a term not even around when the bible was put together. Even if the pulpiteers know this, they will not teach it as it is not in their best interests (money).

Old 05-18-2012, 01:04 AM

134 posts, read 108,912 times
Why do people believe The Bible is true? I don't know,but I can make some gusses,which by the way, I don't believe are valid. The first reason is probably the most obvious Christians believe these texts are from or inspired by the perfect all-knowing Creator.When you believe that it is absurd not to believe it is true.The second reason may be they believe it to be true because they want it to be true. I want to the world not to be an illusion,so that's what I believe.The thrid reason may be,which could go along with second, they believe it gives them moral and/or practical ways to live. Forth reason may be,which may go along with reasons two and three,they believe it provides them with a sense of purpose in life.The fifth reason may be there are some truths in it like Bethloham (Sorry,qbout the dubious spelling.)existing .The sixith reason may be it is believe The Bible does not contradict itself. It is commonly argued that the supposed contradictions are misinterpretations, mistranslations, or supplments.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 AM

134 posts, read 108,912 times
Seventh reason it is taught by a trusted authority x ( parents, church,scholar, etc. ) to be true.The final reason I thought of they may be ignorant or mislead to what is in the Bible.(Maybe they never read it or someone skewed its teachings.) I think pointing out the reasons' shortcomings would be more effecient than stating what we see as absurd in said book. Also, sorry, about making two posts. My PS3 doesn't let me make long contiguous posts.

Last edited by Rj7237; 05-18-2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 AM

3,590 posts, read 2,755,063 times
I know where all you "doubters' are coming from. I was born one of you and remained that way for my first 25 or so years.

The only thing i can tell you, is that there is no "ah-ha!" moment that makes you believe. It's a slow burn, if it's to really be internalized.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,293,980 times
Because some of the faithful, believe, that without its "truth" they'd become vicious homicidal, gay marrying, drug abusing, Obama voting maniacal heathens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality