Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:55 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times

Advertisements

Honestly, this is a serious question.
Why does so much bad stuff go on in the World?

2010 Earthquake kills 300,000+
September 11th
USA attacks Japan
December 1879: Birth of Joseph Stalin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,703,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post

September 11th
USA attacks Japan
No, it just means that there are a lot of whacked out people, men with megalomanic motives, and plate tectonics.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:19 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,491,140 times
Either God does not exist or he behaves as though he doesn't exist.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM

663 posts, read 1,141,361 times
Don't you people know, anything bad is not of God's doing. Now, when something good happens, it's a gift from God!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,213,741 times
I don't believe in God but just for the sake of argument, if he did exist, I can't understand him hating his alleged creation.

I can however see him being pretty ticked off at everyone who professes to speak for him.

I know I would be.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,488 times
The bible certainly makes this god out to be a monster, and I believe in god, but my god would whup his a hole for drowning babies, and telling his kids to pillage, steal, KILL.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,761,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post

September 11th
USA attacks Japan
Yes, got hates you all... but that's because nobody's been sending me checks to buy the necessary palace full of fine, shiny things that god requires to be placated. You can pay me with money or you can pay for your sins through physical suffering and torment. Your choice.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,935,415 times
I believe that just as there are animals below us in intelligence and capabilities, it makes sense that there are creatures that far above us as well.

The God in the bible demonstrates many of the qualities that, if our neighbor demonstrated them, we would shy away from him. He is jealous, pompous, spoiled, fit throwing, a racist, homophobic, petty. He causes floods and destruction and plagues.

So, if this is our 'God' he certainly is not in our camp. If you look at this guy in the bible you can get the feeling that he may be a scientist, experimenting, creating a race and telling them not to marry outsiders. Separating peoples by language differences. Yet when he's not pleased with the job that He has done, he wipes out whole groups of us.

So, yeah, this guy may have a 'plan' but we all don't figure so well in it, do we? We seem to be toys that he plays with. What does he care of our 'feelings' or health or well being? He seems pretty much only concerned with the results of the experiment.

There may be a god, but not the guy in the bible. No way.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 PM

134 posts, read 154,774 times
Why say it eloquently? Bad things happen because some people are dicks who impose their rules made to benfit themselves or other dicks. Second, the dicks in power are indifferent to the problems they create or problems that existed without them.Thrid, somtimes dicks benfit from the misfortune of others.Fourth, there are not enough people who aren't dicks to stop or oppose every dick. Fifth, no matter how many people aren't dicks they can't stop every misfortune in the world.God was created as the greatest, unquestionable dick, by earthly dicks who saw that other people might question them and their rules. I take it back. I said it in the most eloquent way possible.

Last edited by Rj7237; 05-20-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 10:05 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,033,251 times
Ah, even the Biblical writers had problems with God at times. Just ask good ol' Job, who despite being an exceptional individual in God's eyes, had some choice cuts to make against him:
Though you know that I am not guilty,
There is no escape from your hand.
Your hands molded and made me,
And then turned to destroy me.
(Job 10:7-8, AB)

'Guiltless as well as wicked he destroys'.
When the scourge slays suddenly,
He mocks the despair of the innocent.
Earth is given to the control of the wicked,
The faces of her judges he covers.
If not he, then who?
(Job 9:22a-24)
We are not the first ones to have a problem with God and the issue of Theodicy. Even some of the Biblical writers had issues with it. The best expression of this is the Book of Job, and it should be required reading for believers and non-believers alike. The content may surprise you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality