Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,239,240 times

Advertisements

Do you intend the formal study of Christian ethics or something more general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 27 days ago)

20,367 posts, read 12,647,775 times
Christianity is primarily NOT about living a moral life. Rather, it is about realizing our sin has separated us from our Holy Creator. Then, we seek forgiveness and turn away from our sin to a new life in Christ.

After that initial experience, we are inhabited by God's Holy Spirit, who leads and directs us toward a selfless lifestyle. It is not an easy process, and no one ever makes it all the way to the goal.

That's why we claim the righteousness of Christ for our salvation before God.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,239,240 times
When I was in my late twenties, coming from a very closed church-society, it was a shock to me, as I finally branched out into larger society and learned that "nice people" with high morals were not all believers! I was, in fact, stunned to learn that such persons were often atheists and/or totally unaware of the Bible and its concepts, Messiah, and so on. I met many such people then and afterward who were much nicer, more moral, more ethical, caring, giving, and friendly than an awful lot of those in the church (both the one I attended weekly and its whole organization) I attended.

It is, then, my contention that there are large groups of people who are churched and remain completely ignorant of common decency, manners, and ethics. They may just be baby believers, or as within my old church, just very ethics-ignorant people who have not learned how to be and are not interested.

Some may question whether or not these are actually believers, but I think many were believers; they had simply been badly taught.

When we also consider how some churches have actually accepted and blessed immoral activity, why are we surprised? When we also consider that many churches would rather rely upon business concepts and/or entertainment to bring in numbers, rather than relying upon the Word, again: why are we surprised?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM

595 posts, read 758,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Can you please explain to me what Christian ethics is all about?

God's Ten Commandments summed up in two commandments.

1. Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and all your strength.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others as you would want to be done to.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 05-25-2012, 03:58 PM

7,705 posts, read 12,544,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphKNS View Post
Can you please explain to me what Christian ethics is all about?
Read the 10 commandments.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM

331 posts, read 600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
This is my belief based on my life experiences beginning at age 4 when God chose me, lessons learned during childhood and adulthood, Bible scripture and Bible Studies I have attended with leaders that I highly respect.

One must believe in God, and believe that Jesus Christ is God's son, sent to be crucified on the cross and die for all sins committed by us mortals/human beings.

Once one believes this, then by prayer they have to accept Jesus Christ as Lord, confess their sins to the Lord, ask Him for forgiveness, and pledge to live a Godly life, "die to self, live for God".

This means we will live a life for God, not for ourselves, as best as we can. Since God/Jesus Christ is pure and perfect and sinless, we as Christians will never meet this criteria. We WILL sin, no doubt about it. We will be sinners until we leave (die) this earth for our heavenly home. We HAVE to realize when we sin, ask sincerely for forgiveness to the Lord, and go about our lives trying the best we can to not sin, especially intentionally. But it will happen, temptation can be powerful and overrides our willpower and conscience. But the Lord will forgive us, if we sincerely pray and ask and ask for strenght to not let it happen again. And pray some more.

But satan is a moving force in ALL of us, including Christians. We constantly have temptations in our face, satan wants us to fail in our quest to live a Godly life. But the Lord is there for us at all times, even protecting us from fall-out during our sins. I personally can attest to that!

Also, God has NEVER promised ANYONE a pain-free, pleasant life. Christians will always have trials, tribulations, and tragedies in their lives. The difference in being a Christian as oppossed to being a non-believer is that Christians turn to the Lord to get them through their pain and suffering, while non-believers curse and blame and hate the Lord.

Satan has invaded my life in a terrible way, 13 months ago. I wanted to die, and thought about it many times. I got down to 89 pounds! But God has been there for me the whole way, if not for him I would have lost my mind. My tribulation will never be over or forgotten, but closure is coming soon and I can go forward with my life. (I am now at a healthy weight).

I hope I have answered your question. It really is not hard to live a Godly life. God Bless You.

^^Very well stated!!

For those of you on here that are Non-believers, please remember one thing: Every person is different, we don't all act the same, talk the same nor bear the same trails/problems. When one is saved trails/problems don't just go away. We are not perfect, but we are saved by God's mercy and grace!!!! We are to love God above all else. And yes, love others.
Once again, we are not perfect. If one would read the Word of God and follow it, there would be no question as to whom is saved or not! Our faith is lived out by our actions. Good deeds do NOT save us, but they do matter, they show others the love of Christ through our life.

God Bless!!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 AM

9,663 posts, read 9,925,106 times
In the beginning God separated God from evil and God chose the most perfect good as His character, and some of these character are ; love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance, then other ideas of, mercy or compassion, no abuse, no deception, no control, no pride, understanding right from wrong in the spirit , justice ............. Where the evil morality which God rejected out of His character are Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance or high social class, social climbers ,wrath, strife, seditions or rebellions, heresies, pride and control of others .............See even the Ethics of Plato was rooted in selfish pride which God rejected in His perfect character ...... As Christians who God formed for His purpose through Lord Jesus are call to similar character as God with the exception that they resist judging others and this is Gods individual authority

Old 05-26-2012, 08:14 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,280,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
God's Ten Commandments summed up in two commandments.

2. Love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others as you would want to be done to.

God Bless,
Mercy

Oh I love that one...too bad it can't be followed. How many Christians judge people every day on how they should live and act How many christians thinks it's OK to kill?....right I forgot it's in the name of war so that's a good excuse for what we do

Many christians have no tolerance for gay people and abortion. So much for do unto others I'm glad those people would like to be shunned and judged by mere mortals and "not" God. Isn't judgement for God? Why do we worry about it? I really don't understand the whole lack of tolerance and human decency that I see every day from "good christians"

Sorry....there seem to be too many "rationalizations" and "interpretations" of why they don't practice what they preach. I cannot respect that.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 27 days ago)

20,367 posts, read 12,647,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Oh I love that one...too bad it can't be followed. How many Christians judge people every day on how they should live and act How many christians thinks it's OK to kill?....right I forgot it's in the name of war so that's a good excuse for what we do

Many christians have no tolerance for gay people and abortion. So much for do unto others I'm glad those people would like to be shunned and judged by mere mortals and "not" God. Isn't judgement for God? Why do we worry about it? I really don't understand the whole lack of tolerance and human decency that I see every day from "good christians"

Sorry....there seem to be too many "rationalizations" and "interpretations" of why they don't practice what they preach. I cannot respect that.
To the contrary. Doing good is not newsworthy. Christians do good everyday, much behind the scenes. Providing food & care to the needy, assisting those affected by natural disasters, caring for widows & orphans, etc.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM

17,720 posts, read 13,422,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
How can non believers curse, blame, or hate something they don't believe in?

I've never understood that myself how can you dislike/hate something you don't believe in. It doesn't make any sense. Where does that logic stem from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality