Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I have to say that I just shake my head and giggle just a little every time I hear one of these stories. I honestly feel no sympathy for people who bring things like this upon themselves via their own stupidity.

There was a similar story some 15 years ago about one of these NewAge twinkie "my grandmother was a Cherokee princess" wannabe types who adopted his own convoluted version of native beliefs. He died from a rattlesnake bite. Apparently, he believed because he had "medicine" he could follow "brother rattlesnake" around to "learn from him." When the snake went into it's den, this fool stuck his face in there. Yep, the snake bit him right in that prying "spirtchul" face. I just imagine that moment of horrifying self-realization that he was indeed a fool.

Old brother rattlesnake don't like it when you're stick your nose into his private dwellings.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Old brother rattlesnake don't like it when you're stick your nose into his private dwellings.......

It's like watching those Tv shows when people stick thier hand in a sharks mouth when he's on the beach.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,409 times
He should have gotten one of them talking snakes instead of one prone to action.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,316 times
nezlie:
Quote:
The same thing killed his father years ago.

Quote:
Quote:
A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.
This is what guides these religious snake-handlers to do what they do...

Quote:
Quote:
Snake-handlers point to scripture as evidence that God calls them to engage in such a practice to show their faith in him. Mark 16: 17-18 reads, "And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite - ABC News
But Scripture also prohibits tempting God. We are not to do these things on purpose.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Playing with poisonous snakes: STUPID

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
A "serpent-handling" West Virginia pastor died after his rattlesnake bit him during a church ritual, just as the man had apparently watched a snake kill his father years before.
Learning from mistakes of the past clearly not on this guys radar. A common trait for those that spend a lifetime clinging to ignorance of the bronze age.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,210,758 times

Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,210,758 times
Snakes feed mostly on vermin and rats, I suppose the irony here is appropriate.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Serpent-Handling pastor dies from rattlesnake bite

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
nezlie:
But Scripture also prohibits tempting God. We are not to do these things on purpose.
Yes, I had a look at the much shorter parallel thread on Christianity and it had this idea that you can drink poison or handle poisonous snakes and God promises that they will not harm you....but only so long as you don't try it - and then they will harm you so as to teach you not to Tempt Him.

Or there was the suggestion that he wasn't handling it right...troo ' nuff...he was using faith instead of leather gloves.

I don't find it hilarious that the snake handler got bit...it is very sad...we shouldn't laugh...no...stop it! But I do find the wriggling excuses amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality