Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:33 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times

Advertisements

I do not believe in reincarnation of lives as this is a natural hope which has no solid proof..... But I do believe in the incarnation of the Father God who came to the earth as the only begotten Son Lord Jesus Christ .... who can to the earth to have authority for Heaven so people of the earth can become cleaned of darkness of the spirit so they can become a Child of the living God ....... So Lord Jesus Christ proved Himself and after I repented of sin and accepted Jesus ... Lord Jesus Christ sent His Spirit in to My Life and Baptized Here In the Holy Spirit ...where He is still here today and is developing a presence in My life to prepare here to abide in Heaven forever ..... See Christians have proof by God abiding on their lives and bodies...... Do Buddhist Have a proof of reincarnation from even one or more living witness that reincarnation is real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 AM

264 posts, read 774,598 times
You all sound like crazy people

Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Why to save the world of course. lol...............* Every person born or ever born helped to form the human world...at first I thought the question was - How do you know you are on a planet?- I was going to say that when I look at the horizon of the ocean I can see the curve of the sphere.

My son put it clearly when he was small...I would get so serious about life- take the weight of the world on my shoulders. The boy looked at me and said "Dad you are supposed to enjoy your life- you are supposed to have fun" Truth from the mouths of babes- we are here to enjoy the gift of life- not to make things miserable for others and ourselves.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Not sure whether this is an old thread but it seems that it is addressing the 'meaning of life' package incorporating atheism = nihilism.

I'm inclined to reverse the question and ask why 'why do you believe that you are living in the 21st century West (or whatever) rather than in 12th century Russia, 10th century Algeria or 4th century Greece?' There can really be no answer other than question- begging or circular other than 'just luck'.

That we are here is not because everything was designed to squeeze Yuman beans out of a created existence like jelly babies splutting out of a sweetie - machine nozzzle but that a cosmos of matter that could hardly remain static had to do Something and something banging against something else produced (as Gandalf said about the hobbits arrival in Fangorn) a slither of effect that produced myriad flows of natural operations and...here we are. And, if you want to know the details, visit a museum (1).

So why we are here is the same reason as Spike Milligan put it - 'everyone gotta be somewhere'. And why it was us rather than a highly evolved raptor is just luck as much as me being here typing instead of pulling a plough in Norman England.

As to what WE think we can usefully do on this planet while we are here...well, that is another matter. For myself, I preach the doctrine of reason.

(1) I mean a real one, not the Bible- disneyworld of the creationist museum.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
I am here because a chain of causality that began at the big bang inevitably lead to my conception and ultimately my birth and survival into adulthood.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times
Why do you think YOU are on the planet?

The way I read the OP, the question is basically asking whether we think there was some special meaning or purpose assigned to each of us at the time of our creation.

I don't believe that we are individuaally created with any particular meaning or purpose in mind by some supernatural power...... no different than the flowers in the garden or the animals that come to browse them. Life exists for its own sake and any meaning that we assign to it is just a projection of our own mind imposing a need for meaning, for being special and a cut above the rest. Man assigns meaning to things, like the things that he creates. Religions, in particular, have used that to create a sense of 'specialness' within us which is ultimately needed if we are somehow going to be immortal.

If we have a need to have a special meaning, we should look within ourselves to determine why that is and whether it was imposed on us or is the result of some deeper underlying concern. Otherwise, enjoy life while you are here.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
So god can troll me daily with failure and disappointment, currently that seems like my purpose.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayy900 View Post
Im here because of a purpose. A purpose of God. He created the heaven and earth and He brought me here for his purpose on earth.
Everyone is here for a purpose.
i used to have purpose , now i dont , the truth is that my sense of purpose stemmed from ego and little else

Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Why do you think YOU are on the planet?

If you are religious, please speak only in lay terms - no bible quotes - just your perception why you think you are on planet Earth at this time.

If you are spiritual, what do you think your purpose is on Earth?

If you are atheist, I assume you just think you're here as a random event . . .please share your perspectives, but don't derail the thread by deriding those who believe there must be a reason why they are on Earth.

For myself, I believe there is a reason why I am on Earth, and I assume it is to learn some lessons . . .for what ultimate purpose, I have no idea, as it all seems so mundane on the Earthly plane.

I am old and I don't think I have fulfilled my purpose - and maybe never will . . .I believe in reincarnation and that there is a debriefing after death where the life just lived is evaluated.

I think I did a pretty crappy job so far, but maybe I will be struck by lightening and will think, do or be whatever might take me to a higher level of consciousness.

Why do you believe YOU are on the planet?
I'm here to experience this life for God and to serve others in Love.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My parents had sex and BAM! Here I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Brilliant. I hope you didn't burn many brain cells coming up with that one.

The reality is that is all there is, and trying to "find meaning" or a reason is just self-deluding fantasy. It's nature and biology and the trait we share with ever single species on the planet, self preservation of the species.

You your retort is an insult? Pathetic......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality