Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 12:06 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,722,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Well, yeah. You're Mormon, and Mormon's teach that they can become gods. So, I expected a response from you.
Well, duh... Aren't you smart.

Quote:
The whole Mormon notion of populating the universe with spirit children and all that stuff. I know about Moroni and company.
No, you know what you've read on a few non-Mormon websites. In other words, you've scratched the surface.

Quote:
Despite the warning at the end of the Bible about "adding to" what is written in scripture, the book of mormon has all kinds a ideas emanating from Joseph Smith in the 19th century that are to be somehow tacked on to the end of scripture. Good try, but no.
Oh, come on! The warning in Revelation doesn't pertain to the Bible as a whole. It pertains to the Book of Revelation. Even the most naive Christians know that. Plus... whether Mormon thought is right or wrong, I just got through posting a rather comprehensive post proving that the idea of deification did not come about with Joseph Smith in the 19th century. The concept has been around since the earliest days of Christianity, and was espoused by some of the most widely respected Christians who ever lived. So... Good try, but no.

Quote:
P.S. You can't use the beginning of the Bible, and the beginning of it all, to explain where we are now. So much happened and changed from the time of Adam and Eve, to Jesus. We can't live and think as though we're still in the Garden of Eden, and before the fall. It's 2017, by the way.
What? What are you even going on about. It's actually October 4, 2017, but that doesn't change a thing about what God said about Adam and Eve in Genesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 12:11 PM

18,845 posts, read 6,860,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, duh... Aren't you smart.

No, you know what you've read on a few non-Mormon websites. In other words, you've scratched the surface.
You believe that?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You believe that?
And what's "that"?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
And what's "that"?
You responded to a poster that suggested Mormons believed they could become gods.

Was he/she correct? Do you believe that?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You responded to a poster that suggested Mormons believed they could become gods.

Was he/she correct? Do you believe that?
If you really want an answer to that question, if you genuinely would like to understand our belief regarding the potential each of us (i.e. all of God's children, not just Mormons) have been given, here is an excellent article from the LDS Church's official website: Becoming Like God. If you read it, don't try to read between the lines or embellish it in any way or paraphrase it to your own advantage, you'll have a pretty good idea of what Mormons believe. I'm not asking you to believe it yourself. But when people talk about what Mormons believe, it's only right that they should know what they're talking about. And this is a reliable source.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If you really want an answer to that question, if you genuinely would like to understand our belief regarding the potential each of us (i.e. all of God's children, not just Mormons) have been given, here is an excellent article from the LDS Church's official website: Becoming Like God. If you read it, don't try to read between the lines or embellish it in any way or paraphrase it to your own advantage, you'll have a pretty good idea of what Mormons believe. I'm not asking you to believe it yourself. But when people talk about what Mormons believe, it's only right that they should know what they're talking about. And this is a reliable source.
So you don't want to answer a simple yes/no question?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So you don't want to answer a simple yes/no question?
Some questions can't be adequately answered that way. This is one of them. By trying to back me up against a wall and pushing for a simple, one-word answer, you are merely demonstrating that you can't be bothered to take the time to learn what we really believe and what biblical support there is for our position.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Some questions can't be adequately answered that way. This is one of them. By trying to back me up against a wall and pushing for a simple, one-word answer, you are merely demonstrating that you can't be bothered to take the time to learn what we really believe and what biblical support there is for our position.
I didn't say I wouldnt' read it. But I am willing to discuss what I believe..why aren't you?

Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I wouldnt' read it. But I am willing to discuss what I believe..why aren't you?
I totally am. I have done so multiple times on this forum. But why should I reinvent the wheel. If I were to say, "Yes, Mormons believe they can become gods," you would assume that meant certain things which it simply wouldn't mean at all. You would jump to conclusions -- not because you're a malicious person, but because that's what people do, because of their backgrounds and previous knowledge. I'm just saying that if you were to read the entire article, you'd probably understand our position better than if I were to try to explain it starting from scratch and doing so in a complete and comprehensive way. Then, once you'd read it, I would be happy to answer questions that you may have about it.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 1,906,581 times
Mormons Hope to Become Gods of Their Own Worlds

this use Mormon sources and their own words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality