Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,630,364 times

Advertisements

Katzpur Jesus Christ says we are as the angels in heaven in the resurrection.

Matthew 22:29-30

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,630,364 times
In reality, those that have not acknowledged God as the authority and law giver have already set themselves up as their own little god making their own little rules and judgments of their own little universe.

I guess many are going to have to find out the hard way that their reality does not equal the reality.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,768,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?

Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.
Youve addressed two points here and here are my answers :

1. How would your earthly Father feel if you who are say...30 years younger than he.... decided you wanted to completely take over his role as head of the family including all authority and abilities or at least put yourself on equal turf in this regard ? Do you think your Dad would have a problem with this, and, would it seem correct for you to even attempt this ? Our Creator is a Personal Being who is so far above, beyond, and greater than any finitely created thing including us...that it would be the highest form of treason , disrespect, dishonor, etc.. for us to be anything more than the intended created entity that we are. Our correct response to our Creator should be one of great humility, respect, worship , and complete surrender of our will/mind//intellect/desires/motives/bodies as a demonstrable form of showing our love for him and gratitude for saving us from our sins (if in fact One IS saved from them) . To be given the title of 'A Child of the Most High God' , is the highest honor that we can possibly have because it encompasses so much both now, and in eternity. And THAT is what we should rest in.

2. Ever changeable and fallable Science will never be able to give us the extraordinary, supernatural abilities that only the Creator enjoys ; it would be akin to an 18 month old person finding its way into an F16 Jet Fighter and mastering the technology of such to do incredible miraculous manuevers once theyve figured out how to start the engines and located the throttle controls. Science is woefully lacking when it comes to understanding the created cosmos let alone the One who spoke and it leaping into existence from nothing. Science cant even figure out how a human brain functions nor duplicate it ...and THAT is something we are told by 'wise men' originated from compilations of accidents upon accidents starting with the pureile pop-mantra of a one celled pond protozoan . Albert Einstien admitted to knowing less than 1% of everything .. and today with modern science we are lucky to be approaching that miniscule number. Science cant even explain finite things let alone infinite and obvious supernatural things including unlimited power, abilities, and character (viz. Our personal theistic Creator God) as demonstrated by the near incomprehensible emphirical evidences of supreme razor edge precision of our Anthropics with some amounting to a 150 decimal place critical leeway otherwise theres no personal Cosmos for us to live in ... as just one of many evidences which many must pridefully discount for them to remain 'god' of their own lifestyle choices .

Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Katzpur Jesus Christ says we are as the angels in heaven in the resurrection.

Matthew 22:29-30

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
Mike, you've taken one scripture out of context and built a theology around it. Certainly some will be as the angels, but that certainly doesn't mean that God does not have more in store for others. A number of passages (which I already cited) imply that some will be far greater than angels.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Youve addressed two points here and here are my answers :

1. How would your earthly Father feel if you who are say...30 years younger than he.... decided you wanted to completely take over his role as head of the family including all authority and abilities or at least put yourself on equal turf in this regard ? Do you think your Dad would have a problem with this, and, would it seem correct for you to even attempt this ? Our Creator is a Personal Being who is so far above, beyond, and greater than any finitely created thing including us...that it would be the highest form of treason , disrespect, dishonor, etc.. for us to be anything more than the intended created entity that we are. Our correct response to our Creator should be one of great humility, respect, worship , and complete surrender of our will/mind//intellect/desires/motives/bodies as a demonstrable form of showing our love for him and gratitude for saving us from our sins (if in fact One IS saved from them) . To be given the title of 'A Child of the Most High God' , is the highest honor that we can possibly have because it encompasses so much both now, and in eternity. And THAT is what we should rest in.
Why would anyone expect that a child of the Most High God would not have the potential to become like His Father? And why would a Father want less than the best for His children? The idea that we are to "be perfect... as our Father which is in Heaven is perfect," doesn't say that we should want to take over His role. He will always be our Father in Heaven and our God, but it is hardly "the highest form of treason, disrespect and dishonor" for us to want set Him up as the ultimate role model. I would go so far as to say that it is a much greater form of treason, disrespect and dishonor for us to do anything less than strive to be all that the "offspring of God" were intended to be.

Quote:
2. Ever changeable and fallable Science will never be able to give us the extraordinary, supernatural abilities that only the Creator enjoys ; it would be akin to an 18 month old person finding its way into an F16 Jet Fighter and mastering the technology of such to do incredible miraculous manuevers once theyve figured out how to start the engines and located the throttle controls. Science is woefully lacking when it comes to understanding the created cosmos let alone the One who spoke and it leaping into existence from nothing. Science cant even figure out how a human brain functions nor duplicate it ...and THAT is something we are told by 'wise men' originated from compilations of accidents upon accidents starting with the pureile pop-mantra of a one celled pond protozoan . Albert Einstien admitted to knowing less than 1% of everything .. and today with modern science we are lucky to be approaching that miniscule number. Science cant even explain finite things let alone infinite and obvious supernatural things including unlimited power, abilities, and character (viz. Our personal theistic Creator God) as demonstrated by the near incomprehensible emphirical evidences of supreme razor edge precision of our Anthropics with some amounting to a 150 decimal place critical leeway otherwise theres no personal Cosmos for us to live in ... as just one of many evidences which many must pridefully discount for them to remain 'god' of their own lifestyle choices .
Of course science is lacking. It certainly hasn't explained many of the wonders we see all around us every day of our lives. But God has not fully revealed Himself to us either. Are you seriously saying that He does not have the ability to make us into anything He wants us to be? That, to me, implies a lack of respect for His greatness.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Coming from a Pagan pov I believe that the Gods I worship were once human & like humans they are flawed, which I believe that's a reason why I can identify with them on some level. Something I can't understand about the Judeo-Christian God. How can a perfect God relate to an imperfect creation?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Coming from a Pagan pov I believe that the Gods I worship were once human & like humans they are flawed, which I believe that's a reason why I can identify with them on some level. Something I can't understand about the Judeo-Christian God. How can a perfect God relate to an imperfect creation?
I'm curious as to what makes your pagan gods divine. If they are flawed, what is it exactly that makes them different from humans?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
gosh i dont know, i was thinking that they could start out slow, maybe hold down a FTE job.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?
I feel the same way. It's one of the points of Mormon ideology where I'm in total agreement. I think the reason why the rest of Christianity considers it heresy is because they are pushing an agenda of power and control. It's a way of trying to make people feel their potential is much more limited than it truly is.

Quote:
Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.
I disagree here. I think science can often go up in messed up directions. It can also be used to further an agenda of hoarding power and control in the hands of a few, which is very ungodly.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
gosh i dont know, i was thinking that they could start out slow, maybe hold down a FTE job.
Yeah, that would be a major thing for a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality