Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?

Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,090 times
From a woman's POV...

First off... if men in terms of M species... there is no perfect males (close to be maybe, but never perfect). And same can be applied to human as a species.

Then not from a woman's POV...

Humans are flawed (imperfect).... thus why should we be a "god-like" examples of species????
We are so cocky, our science & knowledge is the very same tool used for destruction.
We will become the only kind also that is stupid enough to destroy our very home: Earth, land.

History writes itself in cycles... if we humans are so intelligent.... guess what???
We would all become Buddha (like God) & achieve true peace & nirvana which of course... will never happen nor happen yet. (learn from history much??? How many years of peace till war??? Did the middle east bloodshed between their own people stopped yet??? Do we still cater to these destructive people????
What about conflicts??? Like normal everyday people & people contacts???) = meaning NO one human will or can ever be in complete agreement with one another... truth???

How many human behaved more barbaric than animals???
Murder, canniblism, gangs, drug use, pushing drugs unto a unknowing toddler for cash flow, kidnapping minors or pressuring them to drug trade, etc.???

Many quotes are to learn from of human nature...

Quotes About Dogs (255 quotes)

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.”
― Mark Twain
^^^ then think the other way round... help a fellow humans prosper & he/she will back stab you!!!

hence...
“Dogs never bite me. Just humans.”
― Marilyn Monroe

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”
― Josh Billings

If you take that line... come to term with it that God also loves you more than himself = "that perfect love"... perfect forgiveness...

You spell the dog backwards...
You should have that answer!!!
Why humans are never "God" only God like.
Sometimes human nature is uglier (and greedier) than a dog's.

P.S. Think drug as science... dogs don't invent drugs to get high on & have that mind corrupted to the point to use as an excuse for murder or crime... just like dogs don't text & kill innocent people on the road & then find excuses for the wrong done... and many many more fine examples I am sure of that human & their stupidity. Oh and yes... some drug saves life... but read the miniature warning signs of how it is also bad for you??? Then all the greed & lawsuits after that use due to death from that invented drugs??? It all evens out in the end... that science.

That *we* are NOT "ALL" knowing.
God IS.

Last edited by hueyeats; 06-06-2012 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
I can't rep you again still yet but I will Chango
I believe that we as humans are gods, the gods of our life. We create what is around us, everything from our thoughts to our actions and works.
We are the gods of our existence, and you are right, science and technology will allow us to do what the bibllical god is purported to do.
We create already. I create a world everytime I pick up a paintbrush and a canvas. We can crete everything fro chemicals and drugs to save lives to bacteria which eat up oil spills. We are humans, and our greatest power is our ability to create.
Some will say that our concept of "god" is our greatest creation. I say that perhaps man needs the wisdom to use his creations wisely.
We are the ultimate of our planet, so far. To what level of "god" we contniue to eolve into remains to be seen.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM

511 posts, read 491,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I believe that we as humans are gods, the gods of our life. We create what is around us, everything from our thoughts to our actions and works.
We are the gods of our existence, and you are right, science and technology will allow us to do what the bibllical god is purported to do.
We create already. I create a world everytime I pick up a paintbrush and a canvas. We can crete everything fro chemicals and drugs to save lives to bacteria which eat up oil spills. We are humans, and our greatest power is our ability to create.
Some will say that our concept of "god" is our greatest creation. I say that perhaps man needs the wisdom to use his creations wisely.
We are the ultimate of our planet, so far. To what level of "god" we contniue to eolve into remains to be seen.
We create bacteria?
I think not.
We can, certainly, engineer bacteria for a purpose...from bacteria that's already there.
We can't create any life.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Read highlighted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
BUT if you are GOD you already would have rep Chango & don't have to wait.

BUT you cannot create Earth, your home.
Didn't create sight for that artistic talent else everyone & their moms & pas can do what we do (as same entity)...

But Nooo... some have that talent to draw... some are created with the talent to cure, some are created talented for music...

Did we cure all blindness yet? Did we create all children to be healthy & not be allergic to peanuts or its environment yet??? Are we humans capable to become genetically perfect yet with no fear of other bacteria or cancers to kill us???? If not... if our genes is even flawed... how can we brag of our creation of that miracle to be God???

Another thing... Guarantee...
Can you guarantee with a conviction of a guaranteed repercussion / punishments like eg. lawsuits for that "if" those perfect miracles of that God-like achievements should it be imperfect & flawed (like many drugs are... take this, get weak immune system, take that get lung cancer... etc.), you that big talker who creates like GOD be put down via law??? So any guarantees???

If and when you do not have the courage for that guarantee... what makes you God???? God guaranteed my miracles. God have also guaranteed my place in heaven. Spiritual satisfaction & even have the money back = "that moral virtue" for a better being "me".

Again.. a mere human cannot fathom how or if God is really created by humans. For all you know.. we could even arrive on a space shuttle like aliens with God imprinted into our genetics code via our predecessors? Using this Earth as a host because our own milk & honey land is destroyed by our own blindness & stupidity. Agreed, that knowledge is that powerful to be used wisely.

Also... we may think we are superior to animals...
Now "if" with one stroke, God chose to destroy us via a polar shift...
Wiping out all knowledge he gave us putting us back to dark ages of human again... also make us suffer via radiation exposure killing our breed a long slow death.... and we the "so-called" self proclaimed superior species have not learnt how to grow hair to survive that harsh winter... or evolved as would insects (cockroaches) that will survive that nuclear aftermath??? Wiping out egoistic breed off that face of the earth... which breed is smarter now???

Level of God yet... sound much like a video game much???
Ultimate of the planet???
Nooo.. still have some fear for our species do we not???
Fear of death, fear of illnesses, fear of sufferings & misery (that so many modern world have forgotten due to that modernization & spoiled brat mentality that thought people should be entitled to live forever...)...

We humans are but compared to not even a speck of sand.
At least that speck of sand may still grace your species feet after some generations.

After our species is gone... the speck of sands that seen the times will not even remember our kind.... seriously!

How many years it takes only for an abandoned home to get taken over by nature??? 10 years? A generation??? 10 generations???? So what about that painting??? Even Van Gough will not be remembered after so long... even if 1 person remembered, how many seconds of that memory is that remembrance??? Hence is with great evidences that "we" aren't as immortal as we think!

And we are not even on earth before the dinosaurs... and after us.. there'll be many species more....

Yah! Cocky race called humans. Fools!!!
Dark ages... the history of that dark age man kind went though & have lost all those precious knowledge = we are flawed.
Knowledge still... INCOMPLETE!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
We create bacteria?
I think not.
We can, certainly, engineer bacteria for a purpose...from bacteria that's already there.
We can't create any life.
We have already created "synthetic life" (a bacterium even!) and are well on our way to making multicellular life from scratch. We will see it happen easily within this century.

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form | Science | The Guardian

Just think how far we've progressed in only a couple hundred years.... from pooping in outhouses, lighting the night with candles, loosing 1/2 our children and normally dying around age 40 from any number of diseases...

... to indoor plumbing, techno-wonderlands, instant global communication and genetically engineered creatures of all descriptions.

Now give us another million years to develop! Where will we end up? As virtual gods and literal "masters of the universe".

Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We have already created "synthetic life" (a bacterium even!) and are well on our way to making multicellular life from scratch. We will see it happen easily within this century.

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form | Science | The Guardian

Just think how far we've progressed in only a couple hundred years.... from pooping in outhouses, lighting the night with candles, loosing 1/2 our children and normally dying around age 40 from any number of diseases...

... to indoor plumbing, techno-wonderlands, instant global communication and genetically engineered creatures of all descriptions.

Now give us another million years to develop! Where will we end up? As virtual gods and literal "masters of the universe".
I guess it depends on your definition of create.
OK...making something from something else...let's call that creating.
That happens all the time.
Wanna be a God..."create" something from nothing.
Wait a billion years if you like...still won't happen.
But if you and I are still on this silly board in a million years...the one who's wrong buys the other his/her beverage of choice.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 PM

ITA with Flem!

Chango... a perfect human to me will be a human who don't have to do either #1 or #2, don't have to eat either. And will be totally indestructible. Be like a wizard & appear anywhere & disappear how & when he/she wants to. Can control time passage... basically like a genie without that bottle.

So are we there yet???

Really... that what level of God can you become has been asked a million times.... BY teenagers who is still into gaming & have the that time to actually still obsessed about it. Master of the Universe... erm... at what age did I see that at again??? 10 yr old???

Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
ITA with Flem!

Chango... a perfect human to me will be a human who don't have to do either #1 or #2, don't have to eat either. And will be totally indestructible. Be like a wizard & appear anywhere & disappear how & when he/she wants to. Can control time passage... basically like a genie without that bottle.

So are we there yet???

Really... that what level of God can you become has been asked a million times.... BY teenagers who is still into gaming & have the that time to actually still obsessed about it. Master of the Universe... erm... at what age did I see that at again??? 10 yr old???
You can have no imagination and low expectations if you want to. People lived quite happily for thousands of years tilling their fields and being scared that the big bearded guy in the clouds would throw a lighting bolt at them if they pi$$ed him off.

Thank god some people never stopped dreaming big though, or we'd all still be doing exactly that.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You can have no imagination and low expectations if you want to. People lived quite happily for thousands of years tilling their fields and being scared that the big bearded guy in the clouds would throw a lighting bolt at them if they pi$$ed him off.

Thank god some people never stopped dreaming big though, or we'd all still be doing exactly that.
I wonder why people think they make a compelling argument by comparing extremes?
You seem to aver that if one does not believe that (wo)men can/will become gods...they must have have low expectations and want to stay in the caves.

That's pretty weak...I bet you can do better than that.

I love progress. I love technology. I love the arts. I love science. I love discovery.

And I thank God he created such a cool world where all those things are there. Life is great and I have a blast...even though I'm not...and never will be a god.

YEEEEE HAAAAAW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality