Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No, it is not a 'legitimate question'. Anyone that advocates that atheists would behave the way that you are claiming deserves to be denigrated.

...and so do we! We are held accountable for our actions by society and it's laws. YOU on the other hand appear to be held from commiting murder, rape and theft by the fear that you will be held accountable after you die by an angry 'god' that is going to judge you. All I can say is that if that fear is what is preventing you from committing rape, theft and murder then please do continue in your belief because without it, you are clearly not safe to be on our streets.
Don't forget that Dust Bowl's "god" has already forgiven him for all the evil he and all other Christians have commited and may commit on this earth, when they accepted Jesus as their savior.

Yep, according to his lord's wonderful gospel, Adolf Hitler is in heaven right now..

Mr. Dust Bowl's assessment of an all Atheist government is in fact what would result with an all Christian (or Muslim) government. If you are forgiven of all your sins and doing the work of "the Lord", life is pretty much worthless and there's nothing stopping you from rounding up Jews, pagans, homosexuals etc etc and sending them to concentration camps.

I'd like Mr. Dust Bowl to find us one example in all of human history where a Christian or otherwise "God fearing" society didn't commit some atrocities on fellow human beings.

I also suggest he read up on the genocide against the Midionites and Amalekites in his "loving" god's holy word.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM

707 posts, read 687,420 times
Not the ones I've seen on here...lol just kidding. In fact this is a ridiculous question. Why would it matter?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM

100 posts, read 78,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Don't forget that Dust Bowl's "god" has already forgiven him for all the evil he and all other Christians have commited and may commit on this earth, when they accepted Jesus as their savior.

Yep, according to his lord's wonderful gospel, Adolf Hitler is in heaven right now..

Mr. Dust Bowl's assessment of an all Atheist government is in fact what would result with an all Christian (or Muslim) government. If you are forgiven of all your sins and doing the work of "the Lord", life is pretty much worthless and there's nothing stopping you from rounding up Jews, pagans, homosexuals etc etc and sending them to concentration camps.

I'd like Mr. Dust Bowl to find us one example in all of human history where a Christian or otherwise "God fearing" society didn't commit some atrocities on fellow human beings.

I also suggest he read up on the genocide against the Midionites and Amalekites in his "loving" god's holy word.
This is not how I interpreted the Gospel. Perhaps you should read it before assuming this is the way I think.

I recommend that you read Matthew 20.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
That's a very broad statement. What exactly do you mean? Can you back this up with evidence?
Check and redirect? how quaint.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM

100 posts, read 78,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Check and redirect? how quaint.
Off topic, do you enjoy SLC? I've seen photographs and the scenery is gorgeous.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Off topic, do you enjoy SLC? I've seen photographs and the scenery is gorgeous.
Yea, it's nice... but it would be better if we could get an atheist or two in public office.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
This is not how I interpreted the Gospel. Perhaps you should read it before assuming this is the way I think.

And your caricature of atheism is not how I understand it. Perhaps you should take the time to learn what I and others believe (and disbelieve) before assuming this is the way we think.

I would like to point out that this thread appears to be built on an incredibly weak premise that all theism is equivalent to Christianity (specifically the kind the poster likes as opposed to the kinds he doesn't). It appears to me the position you are advocating is that only people who agree with you should be allowed to hold office, unless of course you think that a theist who worshipped Moloch by immolating his children is some how more moral than an atheist, simply because he is a theist. Being a theist in no way limits your actual belief system or morality. You can worship a god and still hold any conceivable moral stance, so on a moral basis there is no real difference between theism and atheism in general.

-NoCapo

Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
I think this is a legitimate question in contemporary society considering how little sway the average American citizen has in policy matters or law making.

Since an atheist essentially views all those around them as "souless entities" what value do people really have?

Now, don't get me wrong, there are many Christians who are hypocritical because they do not follow the Gospel, but everytime they make a decision they would have the dilemma of going against the words of Christ.

That doesn't factor into the atheist agenda because there is no law that usurps man's law and serves as a fundamental basis whereby people can live their lives in relative peace and harmony through discipline.

Instead, I imagine laws will "evolve" to fit in with the circumstances of society.

So imagine a fully atheist Congress with a limited regard for human life as people are no longer people, but bags of flesh, confronted with forseeable problems of overpopulation, economic depression, and food shortages.

What would be the logical solution? I'm going to assume that they would decide to commit genocide to the poor and weak. Their rational would be that they only have one life to live, and poor and weak are contributing to a great deal of stress on society's limited resources.

They would create a propoganda campaign where citizens would be manipulated into thinking that they made the right choice or they would use their power and wield it over us as we helplessly surrender to their will.

Really, what good would all these people be when in reality they are only making it difficult for atheists to make the most out of their life?

Eventually they would kill all that do not directly contribute to their well being, and they would suffer no consequences for their actions because nobody can stop them.

Furthermore, they would feel they would not be held accountable for their actions because the mere notion of a Judge that they cannot see is ridiculous to them.

On the other side of the coin, if you had to be a Christian to hold a seat in Congress, it would be very difficult to envision something like this occuring because they would have the dilemma of being responsible for their actions, knowing that there is someone that will hold them accountable for their actions on earth.

So to me, atheism is incredibly dangerous. Even some atheists must admit this could very well be the case?

And yes, I am aware that there are so called Christians who do not follow the Gospel, but I would feel more comfortable with Christians deciding my fate, rather than people who view me as a "souless entity and a waste of air and space."
Ah, if you don't believe in god, you must be evil. I direct you to a wonderful video.

13. There is No Morality Without God - YouTube

Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Dust Bowl
Atheism means
(unbelief in God or deities)
That’s it.
Please do not tack on extra definitions to it.

Many modern Theravada Buddhist do not believe in gods but do believe in rebirth and karma that could follow them to the next life. Yet they are by definition atheists.

Us atheists can feel love , hope and pain in our hearts. (feelings)
We can care for our fellow humans.
Hell, I’ll probably cry when my cat dies.

We do care about the world we live in and for the well being of those that will be here even after we are gone.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 06-13-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:

I've read the gospel many times, little guy. Used to teach it.

*I* recommend YOU read your Bible in its entirety, and not just the sugar coated verses you like to cite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality