U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,920,729 times

Advertisements

For those who may have wondered (or maybe not ) why I haven't posted much in the past week.....well, I'm ashamed to say I mouthed off a little bit and was given a stern "time out" by the mods. Perhaps it was for the best, because not only did it give me time to think about some things regarding who I am as a believer, but it also allowed me to come to some realizations about who I want to be - and most importantly, who I think God wants me to be. I also have decided that there are some things I want to make publicly known. Those are as follows:

First: I owe some of you an apology regarding the way I have "spoken" to you in recent posts. Actually, I've realized that there are quite a number of posts I've made here at C-D that have been snide or insulting, and in general don't reflect the love, kindness, and gentleness that are supposed to be defining characteristics of a true believer, and I regret that. From here on out, I'm going to strive to make sure that whatever I say in the forums is motivated and guided by a heart and spirit of love and kindness. If I fail, please forgive me and know that I'm only human and sometimes lose my perspective.

Second: In various posts I've made, and particularly in certain threads I've started, I've revealed my thoughts pertaining to homosexuality. Without going into great detail, I'll just sum up by stating that off and on over the course of many years I have struggled to discern whether or not homosexuality was acceptable to God - and in my posts, I've given my insights on the subject, and have shared my own personal stories about my experiences and the various thoughts I've had with respect to it. Along with that, I've indicated in previous posts that I do not experience any desires for, or attractions to, women that feel "natural" and unforced. Instead, my attractions and desires were directed toward men. One of my heart's desires in life was to share my life with someone special, and have someone to call my own - someone with whom I could be romantic and intimate, and grow old with - and I wanted that relationship to feel as natural for me, and be as acceptable to God, as those who are straight are permitted to experience it. Responding to that, some of you told me that there are things that straight people want to have, but are not "allowed" to experience for various reasons. My response was to say that for all the different struggles that some straight people endure, they are nevertheless permitted to experience the love of someone special in their lives, and that such love would be natural for them, and acceptable to God. Some of you then held strong to your positions and stated that perhaps my cross to bear in life was one of remaining celibate, and not having any sort of intimate, romantic, and/or sexual relationship with a woman. In anger and resentment, I reacted to those statements with incredulity - a refusal to accept that it was how it must be for someone such as myself.

However, something inside me has now changed. In recent days (and by that, I mean "in general") I have begun to experience a change within my spirit. Without going into detail about how that has come about (perhaps I will leave that subject for a different thread), for now it is well to say that I am no longer filled with any anger or resentment regarding the prospect that I may indeed live celibately the rest of my life. I have come to the final position within my heart, mind, soul, and spirit regarding how I feel about homosexuality. In reaching deep within myself and examining what I actually believe homosexuality is, I have come to the conclusion that, for me personally, it is a disorder that was caused by a myriad of factors. I do not believe I was born gay, and I do not believe I chose it, but I WILL state that I emphatically believe all homosexual sex is sinful. I am in no position to say all Christians and/or homosexuals should feel this way, but I DO respect the traditional Christian position on this matter.

Now, does that mean I'm turning straight? No - not at all. What it DOES mean is that I renounce my interest in sexuality altogether. I have chosen and accepted a position of complete celibacy for the rest of my life, and will not engage in any sort of relationship with anyone, man or woman, that could be construed as anything more than purely platonic in nature.

Therefore, I hereby issue my official and final public renouncement of homosexuality.

I realize that what I've said will cause some of you to view me as an "enemy" of sorts, whereas you may have before supported me. And if that is indeed what transpires, I regret that it is so - but I will have to accept that. Likewise, some of you may applaud me. Either way, my position from now on is that I will no longer debate the issue, nor will I engage in any further discussions about the subject, other than to reiterate and support the traditional Christian position. The bottom line is that I felt it was time for me to take a stand, state my official position, and put this matter to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,960,570 times
God Bless you brother

Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,920,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
God Bless you brother
Amen to that. Blessings,Rob.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,205,608 times
Rob, big hugs of support and love from me....

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,102,721 times
Rob,
All my love, support, good wishes and prayers are with you!

I truly admire the things you are trying to accomplish in your life. It is not up to me or anyone else to condemn you for ANYTHING. It sounds to me that you and God have spoken a great deal to each other and you are doing what it is you feel He is leading you to do. You can NEVER go wrong listening to Him.

I know you will have to struggle down a long and windy road, but if this is what you feel God is leading you to do, then I KNOW with all my heart that He will indeed bless you immensely!

If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to dm me anytime!

My strongest prayers are with you!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:50 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Rob, God's grace will be your strength

Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 PM

200 posts, read 855,030 times
While I don't necessarily agree with your position; I think it's more important that you live your life in a way that is comfortable for you. I can also appreciate your quest to become introspective, to learn about yourself & to grow, and to be the person that you want to be...

Old 09-25-2007, 07:53 PM

679 posts, read 1,325,731 times
I feel the deepest sorrow for you and that your belief has twisted you so far that you must deny who and what you are and deny yourself a life long loving relationship with someone and remain celibate for the rest of your life. I can not understand either that kind of self torture or the self loathing that you must feel and it makes me both angry and depressed beyond measure to hear that your belief system has brought you to this. It's beyond sad and I hope that one day you emerge from this.

To those of you rooting him on to deny himself happiness and punish himself for the rest of his life to appease your "loving" god, shame on you all.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 PM

508 posts, read 1,521,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
I feel the deepest sorrow for you and that your belief has twisted you so far that you must deny who and what you are and deny yourself a life long loving relationship with someone and remain celibate for the rest of your life. I can not understand either that kind of self torture or the self loathing that you must feel and it makes me both angry and depressed beyond measure to hear that your belief system has brought you to this. It's beyond sad and I hope that one day you emerge from this.

To those of you rooting him on to deny himself happiness and punish himself for the rest of his life to appease your "loving" god, shame on you all.
Shame on you for not being supportive of a fellow human being, who has struggled to identify himself and finally come to terms with how he wants to live his live, just because you don't agree.

Hey Rob -

You and I have battled and debated many-a-times. Just let me say I'm proud for you that you have come to peace with yourself and with God! Congradulations and God bless!!
Britt

Old 09-25-2007, 08:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,304,250 times
Rob,
I hope that you have found your peace. I sounds as if you have.

God bless you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality