Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Sorry, one more post! Here's the actual site for the Folsom fair, and the poster COMPETITION which hasn't even been determined yet... so it's a little silly to get upset over a poster ENTRY, which hasn't been chosen to represent the fair. FOLSOM STREET FAIR
As a librarian, I always have to dig deeper for the true story - which I wish non-professionals would do too, before spreading misinformation to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
But then what would we do for fun here in City-Data? And yep I'll be waiting for that awesome recipe you mentioned!

And on topic I will say that I do agree with you about the difference between joking and hateful.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,751 times
Default Thank You for the post!

Thank you for bringing this ad to my attention. It's friggin' great.
I think it's absolutely great that they can manage to take something that is probably the primary obstacle to their equal rights in this country and the instrument of so much hardship and even self loathing and turn it around like this. Good for them! Thank you for posting this and I think I'll promote it on my site.

As for the CNS, yeah, they're a fun bunch. They make Fox look liberal.

Look, this country allows for satire and mockery. Oddly we owe a lot to Larry Flint because if he had lost that case years ago against Fallwell, no one could satire anyone, meaning no impersonations of Presidents on the Tonight Show for instance. We can express opinions, make jokes, disagree, and discuss all day and night, openly, men and women. It's a great country. Sometimes you take one on the chin. You know what you should do? Laugh or at least ignore. When you get all bent, you add fuel to the joke, making it funnier, not to mention if you weren't so upset, I wouldn't know about the ad, nor would the people I'm going to show.

Last edited by PhillyChief; 09-25-2007 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
But then what would we do for fun here in City-Data? And yep I'll be waiting for that awesome recipe you mentioned!

And on topic I will say that I do agree with you about the difference between joking and hateful.
Promise I'll send that recipe asap, when I get it typed up (my scanner doesn't really work). Btw, I just looked through the street fair poster entries, and didn't even see the Last Supper one there... so methinks this might be a biased-news fabrication; either that, or they dug up an old poster entry. And yeah, the Folsom Fair is a bit "raunchy" in nature, but really has nothing specifically to do with homosexuality. We're just a fun bunch here in SF, and literally anything goes! I'm not into that stuff personally, but I'm glad to live in a country (city, at least) where freedom of expression still exists. But we do have some common sense & decency, which is why I doubt that poster would ever hit the public.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM

467 posts, read 778,128 times
Well being straight, and not religious, I do find it amusing. Fifty years from now, Christians will be singing a different song about gays. Perhaps they wont rot in hell after all? Seriously though, if you were looking to buy a business, and some company told you that you would be unsuccessful in business if you didn't buy their company...that would be a huge red flag right? Well, that's how it looks to me. Any organization that thinks I'm going to hell unless I join their organization, is a really...really big red flag to me. Any organization that spends millions building a church instead of using the money to help other human beings, is another huge red flag. There is a devout Christian at work who is very willing to engage in debate, and has been great to talk with to get another point of view. I appreciate him greatly, and he does concede when I point out religious hypocracies, I wish more were like him.

I don't know much about religion, but I would hope that tolerance is something taught to all religions. Please don't think someone is going to hell because they don't walk the same path you do, if everyone were the same, life would be pretty damn boring. Gay...straight...whatever, nice people=nice people.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
You know it's not about having thin skin at all. I've heard that comment more than once in the past week or two. When Christians say we're offended then it's thin skin...but if it's another faith then they get all the apologies.

And while you think it's all in fun it's because you're not on the same end of it as us. And truly, it's not the end of my world that this has happened...it makes me more sad that people hate Christianity so much they are willing to do something like this.
Although I must admit, I did find myself laughing at the particular poster, I can understand why some Christian groups have been offended by it. However, I must point out, that why is it necessary for a group of suspected homosexuals to heed caution to the very people who discriminate against them every day? Why CAN'T they make a poster such as this? Because it offends Christians? Well, I'm sure most of these people have been at the mercy of so-called Christians for a better part of their life. I see no harm in poking a little fun at something, especially if you don't believe in it. Perhaps it is the very torment they have received at the hands of the religious that makes them despise it so much??

Old 09-26-2007, 04:02 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I don't think those people were very smart. Now we're going to see, all over the world, a bunch of wild eyed, jumping up and down, out of control, fire starting, "death to all who mock" shouting.............never mind. Wrong religion.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Although I must admit, I did find myself laughing at the particular poster, I can understand why some Christian groups have been offended by it. However, I must point out, that why is it necessary for a group of suspected homosexuals to heed caution to the very people who discriminate against them every day? Why CAN'T they make a poster such as this? Because it offends Christians? Well, I'm sure most of these people have been at the mercy of so-called Christians for a better part of their life. I see no harm in poking a little fun at something, especially if you don't believe in it. Perhaps it is the very torment they have received at the hands of the religious that makes them despise it so much??
You do make a good point... after all the abuse they've taken, it's only fair they should be able to fight back. I'm not usually an advocate of "eye for an eye", but in some cases it seems justified. Anyway, it's just parody/controversial art, which has been done for many years - and it's purpose is to get attention, which was obviously accomplished. Kind of like this piece by Andres Serrano, which we studied in my college Modern Art class... Controversial Art (also discusses other controversial artwork)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:48 AM

45 posts, read 209,426 times
This is unacceptable. I don't understand how anyone of any religion would tolerate such disrespect of a faith. And I agree if they did something like this of anyone else the ACLU would be all over it. Why should us Christian's stand for this! We must stand firm on what our Lord Jesus Christ says in the Bible.

The fact is in the book!

"And with a man you shall not lie with as a man lies with a woman; it is an abomination." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. Leviticus 20:13

And finally the most important:

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor practicing homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Homosexuality is the Devil working through those who sin in such acts. Fact is sextual relationship is between a man and a women, husband and wife.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 AM

Are you suggesting homosexuals be put to death? After all, you appear to take the Bible literally...

Btw, those passages have been interpreted & translated in many ways, most of which have nothing to do with homosexuality. And if you have the freedom to call them deplorable, sinners, and call for their DEATH - I think they have the right to mock your beliefs, no matter how much it peeves you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality