Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,452,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by chielgirl That was my point.
But through their believers gods become reality.
Knowing this, can you still say that gods do not exist?
No. I can believe that aliens are real but it doesn't make them real. This kind of goes back to the "no absolute truths" argument.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:55 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,224,671 times
Originally Posted by GCSTroop
Quote:
No. I can believe that aliens are real but it doesn't make them real. This kind of goes back to the "no absolute truths" argument.
No, I don't think the notion of a nation is an absolute truth.
As far as I know there is no absolute proof of power either, whether it is political, economical, or physical power.
Someone only has power over you when you give him that power.
I mean can you bribe someone who doesn't care about money or influence? Can you threaten a man with death when he is not afraid to die?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,224,671 times
The thing is that an idea only exists when it has believers to defend it. If only one man has the notion of viewing his house (or the ground he lives on) as being his private property, he will soon be called crazy for viewing his house as private property since no one else regards it that way. But if everyone but the 1 guy believes that a person's house can only be private property, it becomes a private property and he'll be seen as a trespasser every time he violates this custom.

As far as I know believing in aliens is not the same as believing that you can have personal possessions.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:06 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,994,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I don't have a hatred for all things Christian...That is a patently false claim as compassion in medical care has been documented for many, many centuries prior to the existence of Christianity and may well have existed in the caveman days...Christianity may or may not have interfered with medicine; it did have a long history of opposing science.
Perhaps you don't even realize it, but everthing you post about Christianity is negative...I call that hatred towards. (Thanks for the negative rep just because you "disagree" BTW. )

I'm sorry if History bothers you, but it is what it is and you can't ignore what you dislike and believe what you do. You make your claims that Christianity was against, science, was against medicine was against this and that. It's all your right to say, but it is also my right to point out otherwise. Just like it can be said that someone getting all their information from pro-Christian sources will be biased, it goes the other way too.

You'll just have to live with open dialog in this free society.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,420,323 times
I have no evidence that god doesn't exist. BUT I also have no evidence that he does.

I am MORE then willing to believe in something with some evidence. I don't simply swallow something based on faith.

I think its more then likely some kind of higher power is out there and has played a part (although I am not sure what) in the world and universe. BUT again, I have no evidence to support this and my assumption that there probably is, is based more on emotion then anything else.

I don't know many atheists who will tell you that KNOW for a fact there is no god.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,786,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

I don't know many atheists who will tell you that KNOW for a fact there is no god.
Then they shouldn't call themselves atheists. Agnostic is a more accurate term for people (like myself) with such views.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,420,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Then they shouldn't call themselves atheists. Agnostic is a more accurate term for people (like myself) with such views.
define:atheist - Google Search

According to one of the definitions here, it says that STRONG atheists say there is no god but not all atheists are like that.

All I ask for is some proof, until that is forthcoming, I can't believe anything like that exists.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,786,106 times
Yes. I understand. That's why I said the term "agnostic" is more accurate than "atheist" for people who are willing to admit that we, as humans of limited sensations and minds, are unable to really know either way if an all-knowing "god" exists. Atheism is most commonly thought of (especially by religious people) saying definitively that "there is no God," while agnosticism acknowledges our inability to really know. There is a big difference, I think.

Of course there is no proof. There never can be. "God" is an attempt to define the unknowable.

Accepting and acknowledging our own limitations is a sign of wisdom, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
define:atheist - Google Search

According to one of the definitions here, it says that STRONG atheists say there is no god but not all atheists are like that.

All I ask for is some proof, until that is forthcoming, I can't believe anything like that exists.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,509,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
God does help.

The main problem is us humans alot of times do not liek the way he answers or we are so busy asking questions we do not event take the time to consider the answers. God not evil.

He does?
Then you say we don't like how he answers?
Isn't that being malicious?
If a cancer patient prays for help and God doesn't help him, then what is that all about? God has the power to stop the pain, but won't? Why not? Not worthy enough of a request? Not sincere enough?
How is that helping then?
We don't consider the answers? What answers??
You hear answers?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,509,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
You see randomness and I see a system. We've been able to beautifully describe some of the world around us with mathematical equations and scientific laws. While randomness plays a huge role in subatomic particles, the universe as a whole is a giant system which can be explained in time.

I may very well be wrong, but where I see a system such as ours, I can't help but believe it was created. I don't pick up a Shakespeare play and think it was more likely that it was written by a large number of monkeys hammering away at a keyboard.

Now is our creator the God of Abraham? No idea... couldn't tell you. I think there's much good that can be learned from many of the world's religions. Living my life by Jesus' golden rule has made me a happier person... and I'm sure some eastern religion's meditation teachings could bring more peace to my life. While maybe you can correctly state that not all religions can be right, most of them could be confusing the same creator as their own... and skewing their texts in their favor.

You haven't had enough life problems yet. Everything is hunky dory and it's easy to believe in a nice big God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.