Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 PM

43 posts, read 38,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the theoretical scientist View Post
Plenty. If the Big Bang was created, then obviously there is a God.
Actually, there are infinite other possibilities. But even if that were the case, it would definitely NOT be obvious that this "God" happened to be the one that bronze aged sheepherders made up and wrote a book about 4000 years ago on a tiny planet in an obscure corner of an average galaxy, among billions of other galaxies. Would a supreme being, capable of creating on such a grand scale really need a silly (and flawed) book, a son to serve as a "sacrifice" and worshipers to make it feel special? I think not.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There is no such thing as "obviously" there that a god thing exists. Prove it. It is not fairly reasonable to assume that your myth is real. Just because you say something doesn't make it true.

Prove it. I'm waiting.
An hour ago, I said a prayer to the almighty one wishing for a clearing of the skies from rain so I could take out my dog (he hates the rain) to the bathroom. About 20 minutes later, the skies began to clear and it had stopped raining. Max and I were so happy! There is your proof!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
An hour ago, I said a prayer to the almighty one wishing for a clearing of the skies from rain so I could take out my dog (he hates the rain) to the bathroom. About 20 minutes later, the skies began to clear and it had stopped raining. Max and I were so happy! There is your proof!
Thats some mighty proof you got there, lets see what crazy excuse the atheist use to explain that

Old 06-03-2008, 01:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin
Quote:
Thats some mighty proof you got there, lets see what crazy excuse the atheist use to explain that
God does not command humanity, but it is humanity who commands God by persuasion?
Then again, I don't know if I'm an atheist or not.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by coosjoaquinGod does not command humanity, but it is humanity who commands God by persuasion?
Dunno, I think that a radical method of praying would be to make a powerpoint presentation discussing the pros and cons of such a heavenly action. Though this would be rendered useless if god already knew what was going to go on in the presentation, In fact the act of praying would be pointless if god already knew what you wanted before you wanted it.

Quote:
Then again, I don't know if I'm an atheist or not.
Call yourself what you feel most comfortable as, even if its "nothing" or "I dont know". The names are only there for others to get an impression of what your ideologies are

Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin
Quote:
Dunno, I think that a radical method of praying would be to make a powerpoint presentation discussing the pros and cons of such a heavenly action.
The thing is this that if the majority of people believe someone to be a witch, like in the Salem witch trials and there is no such thing as a witch, the person who is accused of being a witch might as well be one, because she will still be seen as a witch.
This proves that when an individual suffers from a delusion, people will call him crazy.
But the moment he is able to convince the majority of the people that his delusion is real it actually becomes 'real'.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:11 PM

244 posts, read 393,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquinThe thing is this that if the majority of people believe someone to be a witch, like in the Salem witch trials and there is no such thing as a witch, the person who is accused of being a witch might as well be one, because she will still be seen as a witch.
This proves that when an individual suffers from a delusion, people will call him crazy.
But the moment he is able to convince the majority of the people that his delusion is real it actually becomes 'real'.
So you'd take Rove's side in this discussion? karl-rove-and-plato photo in Weird, wacky and wonderful things on Share on Ovi

Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
sweetclimber wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're joking or not but if you were serious would you think that God would adjust local weather conditions to suit just one individual just because that individual put in a special request in the form of a prayer? Why don't you ask God to keep your lawn mowed and your car washed while you're at it?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
sweetclimber wrote:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but if you were serious would you think that God would adjust local weather conditions to suit just one individual just because that individual put in a special request in the form of a prayer? Why don't you ask God to keep your lawn mowed and your car washed while you're at it?
Actually, if i could get god to answer one prayer, I would have him cestry all the corrupt politicians and to make our country livable for the middle class again!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
cestry? I'm sorry, what do you mean, I can't find this word in the dictionary.

btw, that sounds like pretty good evidence that a god thing doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality