U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-08-2008, 10:30 AM

10,545 posts, read 20,623,817 times
I think its funny that people who say they are atheist spend so much time thinking about god.

Frankly he doesn't come to my mind unless I am here. I never stopped to try and sit down and prove he doesn't exist, why would I waste my time like that.

The reality is I have never met him, never seen any evidence he exists. Thats enough for me.

Its sort of like this other board I belong to. They have a group of people who have chosen to be child free, they don't want to have children yet thats all they ever talk about, having children, being around children, other people having children.

Unread 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,578,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think its funny that people who say they are atheist spend so much time thinking about god.

Frankly he doesn't come to my mind unless I am here. I never stopped to try and sit down and prove he doesn't exist, why would I waste my time like that.

The reality is I have never met him, never seen any evidence he exists. Thats enough for me.

Its sort of like this other board I belong to. They have a group of people who have chosen to be child free, they don't want to have children yet thats all they ever talk about, having children, being around children, other people having children.
Yeah, interesting point. I bet most of those childless people you mentioned also don't ever talk about children unless they are on their anonymous online forum.
Regarding atheism, I'm the exact same way. I don't ever talk about religion with people when I am not on this forum. That's why I've never even really identified as an atheist before I started posting messages like one.
Although, I do like the exchange here, and I need to be reminded that religious folks like the ones in here exist on the outside as well. But I have never considered joining any kind of real-life atheist group. I'm much happier out in the world where talking about such things is not considered polite, and I never have to think about them if I don't want to.

I can't imagine carrying the baggage that is in here around with me in my real life.

Unread 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM

4,708 posts, read 5,135,184 times
Quote:

It's sort of like a pebble in one's shoe. Talking about God is all around us and is, granted, irritating to the atheist. But today that is motivation to mobilize atheist and agnostic opinion into a politically meaningful bloc.

Unread 01-08-2008, 11:09 AM

206 posts, read 335,910 times
Quote:
I pretty much agree with ParkTwain on this one. Religion is all around us, and it is a big part of the world. In addition, I never like to have to advocate something from a position of ignorance. It is also important, I think, to always be intellectually honest, so it only makes sense to consider the various arguments involved.

There's also quite a few reasons to take the matter seriously, as there are real world reprocussions.

This isn't one of my favorite sources, but it does provide a few reasons.

Why atheists care about religion - FreeThoughtPedia

Unread 01-08-2008, 01:17 PM

10,545 posts, read 20,623,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiedl View Post
I pretty much agree with ParkTwain on this one. Religion is all around us, and it is a big part of the world. In addition, I never like to have to advocate something from a position of ignorance. It is also important, I think, to always be intellectually honest, so it only makes sense to consider the various arguments involved.

There's also quite a few reasons to take the matter seriously, as there are real world reprocussions.

This isn't one of my favorite sources, but it does provide a few reasons.

Why atheists care about religion - FreeThoughtPedia
Honestly, I agree. It is all around us but for the most part I don't pay any attention. I was raised in a small town steeped in the stuff. I am away from that environment and its not as bad where I am now. I really don't talk about religion in real life, if I do its VERY rare.

One of my friends is someone I can't discuss it with at all because our views are too different. Another friend and I have a similar background but live very differently now but really there is no point to discussing it because I know how she feels, she knows how I feel. We respect each others opinion.

As someone who does not believe, I don't feel the need to teach someone else what I think or to pass it on or try and convince someone. I think its something you have to come to on your own.

Unread 01-08-2008, 01:34 PM

13,040 posts, read 13,637,177 times
Quote:

I'm with you there. I did spend a lot of time thinking about God when I was a teenager and on a spiritual journey but since then , I can't say he/she is much on my mind.
God IMO does not exist, I have never, not once seen any evidence he/she does. Every time I have asked proof for it ( some people do claim to have proof), nobody ever comes up with anything more than fluffy feelings and nothing tangible.

I enjoy some of the discussions on the forum but am finally coming to the realisation that it is virtually impossible to have any reasonable debate when the 2 philosophies are so irreconcilable.

It is so pointless to go back and forth on "evolution this", "homosexuality that" when points of view between believers and atheists are just so far apart. It's like speaking only Hebrew and getting a response in Navajo to me. Bemusement on both sides I feel.

Rationalism and extreme religion are mutually exclusive in my opinion. European Christianity seems quite reconcilable with rationalism but when the gap is so great it is a chasm.

At the end of the day whatever rocks people's boat and makes them happy.
I am interested in religion to a certain degree for the effects it has on society, politics and social policies and have tried to understand why some people believe as it is so odd and bemusing to me but God doesn't really figure in the equation . He/She does not exist ( yes IMO!) so why should I even give him/her a passing thought.

I guess living in the UK , I am lucky that Religion does not have much influence on daily life or politics. Thank goodness for that anyway. A small mercy.

Unread 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,706,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by nebulous1
What makes you think I'm a Christian?
I simply consider death a natural part of life. Nor do I feel pity or joy when someone is in the process of dying.
Really? You have no pity for a child suffering from disease? How about someone who dies from being tortured to death? No pity for one who dies before seing their children grow up? For whom the bell tolls? Death may be natural, but how and when it comes in one's life can generally evoke empathy from anyone with a heartbeat. And I'm an "atheist" by the way.

Unread 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM

206 posts, read 335,910 times
Quote:
Honestly, I agree. It is all around us but for the most part I don't pay any attention. I was raised in a small town steeped in the stuff. I am away from that environment and its not as bad where I am now. I really don't talk about religion in real life, if I do its VERY rare.

One of my friends is someone I can't discuss it with at all because our views are too different. Another friend and I have a similar background but live very differently now but really there is no point to discussing it because I know how she feels, she knows how I feel. We respect each others opinion.

As someone who does not believe, I don't feel the need to teach someone else what I think or to pass it on or try and convince someone. I think its something you have to come to on your own.
I've never had much in the way of real life trouble in the way of religious differences. I am fortunate enough to have been able to for the most part avoid the zealots I've thus far encountered. A lot of my friends, family, and co-workers and such are theists, Christians in particular.

Basically, if someone tries to cram their religion down my throat, I simply recognize them as being someone to avoid associating with. I extend the same courtesy toward them regarding my Atheistic beliefs. If someone brings up the subject, I'll generally discuss it with them, but I tend to hold back a lot of the more adversarial arguments in order to avoid offending people.

The internet is a little different, mainly because a person can come to a forum like this with the intent to discuss such things in an environment in which such is completely acceptable. So, here I tend to be considerably more outspoken. To be perfectly honest though, I mostly do it because I enjoy a good debate.

Unread 01-08-2008, 02:33 PM

67 posts, read 117,313 times
I never had to think about this until I moved to an area that is filled with young earth creationists... a place where the only playgroup I've found is MOPS (you can go on their site to see what they're all about -- spreading the gospel). At home I was surrounded by people of faith who didn't force it on others or try to push their agenda on the government. Where I am now I have to more careful. I don't want creationism being taught as science in my daughters' public schools. When we move back to the Northeast maybe I won't think about this so much or let it occupy my mind in quite the same way.

Unread 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM

3,213 posts, read 6,489,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
What's your evidence God doesn't exist? I'd be curious to know.

Please!!!...what's yours that he does??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality