Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

What's your evidence God doesn't exist? I'd be curious to know.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Wrong question. You have it backwards. The onus on the theists to explain why they believe in an unnecessary hypothesis (God).

See "Russell's Teapot" entry in Wikipedia.org for some help with your thinking.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
its the end of the reef isn't it? i mean the evidence either way, nobody gets back to talk about it, huh.
but you asked for an atheist opinion and that would not be me.
there are no atheists on a burning sinking ship.
they disappear just like magic. wow.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
As ParkTwain stated, the burden is on the believer, or creator of the hypothesis... I never did well in science courses, but that's a pretty basic concept. For instance, if I said "Purple aliens exist, because I have faith" - would you feel the need, or even have the ability, to prove they DON'T exist? Or would you expect ME to show you proof they do?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,386 times
Quote:
there are no atheists on a burning sinking ship.
That's more of that crap like "no atheists in foxholes". There's a veterans group that dispels that one not to mention when Tillman was killed his last words were to yell at a soldier to fight who was too busy crouched down scared praying.

You do have it backwards, TexasNick, as was already pointed out to you. When someone makes a claim, they have to offer proof to substantiate it and the bigger the claim, the bigger the proof required. No proof, no validity to claim.

Have a nice day

Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 PM

467 posts, read 777,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Well...no fingernail scratch marks on the inside of Jesus's coffin is something of interest...

Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
Well...no fingernail scratch marks on the inside of Jesus's coffin is something of interest...
LOL.
As for myself, I have no personal proof either way, which is why I identify as "Agnostic"... I'm of the same opinion about aliens/UFOs, psychics, and so forth, so take that into consideration too.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
And what proof do you have that the bogeyman does not exist? I can't see him, I can't smell him, touch him, or hear him but I know he exists. You see, I believe that when I am in deep REM sleep the bogeyman comes out of the closet and haunts my dreams. Yet, he has extra-sensory perception and can sense when I am about to wake up and retreats back to my closet. I have always known he was there since the age of five, but you see, every time I have searched the closet he has managed to elude my perception. He knows what I am thinking deep inside my mind, so he knows exactly where to hide. The fascinating thing is the little booger MUST positively exist, I mean, I have been scared of him for as long as I can remember. Yet, I know that without ever having seen him, that he must exist. Perhaps he disappears when the light is turned on? He's a sneaky one that bogeyman, and he works in mysterious ways. But, you all will see, one day he will haunt you too, and if he doesn't like what he sees in your mind, than perhaps you'll suffer a horrible fate at the hands of the BOGEYMAN! So I ask, what proof do you have that the bogeyman exists?

I have given you every proof from my own logic that he does indeed exist. I can sense him, I can see his works in my dreams, he has just managed to elude me for a long time. Science tells me that no such creature is capable of doing so, but forget about that, that does not concern me, because science may be able to give me a clear cut definition of what exists and what doesn't, but this is important to me so therefore he does indeed exist.

Oh, so does my imaginary friend from the 2nd grade. His name is Drop Dead Fred. What proof do you have that he doesn't exist?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Wink Say hello to my little friend

Originally Posted by GCSTroop
Quote:
Oh, so does my imaginary friend from the 2nd grade. His name is Drop Dead Fred. What proof do you have that he doesn't exist?
Well, if you are the only one who can see Drop Dead Fred than you're clearly delusional.
But if 10 other people can see Drop Dead Fred he clearly is not a figment of your imagination anymore.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Okay,let me tell you something.
Yes,God exists and his name is ducksburg.

Do you believe?
if not,give me some evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality