Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Ignorant about two obscure articles? Both have their biases as evidenced by where they appear. Neither offer definitive proof as to why, only conjecture or hypotheses.

Why don't you call me ignorant to my face punk? you online tough talkers are always such huge ******* in real life.
You need to chill dude. Rather than resort to a physical confrontation why not have your god smite him?
Is he still in the smiting business?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I do appreciate you responding to my post. Instead of going point by point, let me just say that a lot of this comes down to the point that Gentu already made and you responded to- those that claim to be Christians and are not. This is one reason I don't normally use the term 'Christian' when describing myself...I prefer 'believer in Jesus Christ'. I don't want to be lumped into, or categorized, as being just like a lot of the other imposters out there (and that is not to say that true Christians do not exist, I believe they do although they are in the minority).

It's not that I don't agree with you. But, lol, I'm not going to be the one breaking that news to them. I'm sure you don't either. From my end, it's hard to tell there is a difference. I try not to be too specific just because who am I as an Atheist to say who's doing the God thing correctly. I'll leave that up to you all to determine what kind of majority you want representing you.

You have to understand that group suicide, or murder, or war involving killing people...these are all totally antithetical to what Jesus Christ taught. If anyone is doing these things, it is NOT because they believe on Jesus Christ it is because they have been deceived or it is because they believed in men. If those that call themselves 'Christians' hate their fellow man, they are impostors and the bible specifically confirms that.
The bible leaves itself open to different interpretation. I can't help wonder in all it's greatness, if that is purposeful. So, if groups of people feel it's interpretation is cause for suicide then that just proves to me how difficult it is for humans to determine who, what, or why God exists.

Which furthers my point. Why on earth would I believe in any of it, when it is determined by individuals actions based on their interrelations and feelings, not one fact. I'm sure they would have simply called you an impostor if given the chance. And probably did to many just like you before they offed themselves.

The human mind is such that one has to be careful with it. I see religion as a predator of the human mind and body. Not a life savor. Other humans use it to gain something. IMO of course.

To give you an idea of how many impostors there are out there, it might surprise you that at this time I don't even belong to a church. MOST of them, in my experience, have been totally corrupted. MOST of those that purport to be Christians are impostors.

Doesn't surprise me a bit. A lot of Christians don't attend church or switch denominations frequently. After all one size can't possibly fit all, not with a book so full of general information and riddles.

RE: prayer. I do pray and you make a good point about praying for non spiritual things. For myself, I try to pray for wisdom, or strength, or my friends/family and enemies. I will say that I have prayed for non spiritual things at times, and it is not always the right thing to do. It is tempting, because prayer is a very powerful thing, and the God that I am praying to is a very merciful and loving God who loves to do good things to His children. But you make a good point. You see, I'm just a man...I'm not a God. As a man, I'm extremely imperfect (probably much more imperfect than the average), so I have no problem being taken to task for my limitations and mistakes. The problem I have is when the mistakes and limitations of men are pinned on Jesus Christ.

dys
Yes, and if Jesus Christ picked humans as the group to represent him and his father than I would think he was prepared for the problems connection to himself through humans when things go wrong. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure there isn't a problem with it when humans are greedy, selfish and take his gifts for granted. To me if you don't feel this way it's simple, find a new God. There are said to be many.

It's easy for me, as an Atheist, it doesn't matter. I'm either a nice person or a greedy person, or both for that matter. I'm not representing anybody other than myself and the society I'm active in. I'm not gaining followers from my actions, therefore I don't have the guilt when I mess up. I'm human, of course it happens. I try to be nice and helpful because I enjoy being so. I help out when I can, I'm nice to my neighbors, and helpful to others if they need it. But if I didn't like it, I wouldn't do it. I have no rule book or tablets to follow.

Sorry so long.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I like his sense of pure Christian generosity, don't you, ikb? "We don't want people like you!" Amazing powers of deduction. Must be how he also deduces his steadfast and feverous beliefs in his unicorn-wooden-god-icon, eh?
Of course, the irony being that Jesus probably would have from what I saw in the gospels.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 PM

27 posts, read 46,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Oh the irony.............

US Army: Atheists Unfit To Serve « Al Stefanelli

I completely agree with you though. I'm always surprised that Christians engage in war. I would think our military would be full of Jews and Atheists, not Christians. But, yet another great topic. You should start a thread with this, it would make a great topic for further discussion.
Remember the leader, Charlemagne, of the Holy Roman Empire in Europe? The empire was not holy, and it was not Roman. That guy was a warrior! I don't care what country a person comes from, he/she brings his/her old religious beliefs/pegan beliefs, and mix them with Christianity. No wonder many people are confused about Christianity. What I can see is that much of the world has not fully accepted the teachings of Jesus! People cannot live by in what the Scriptures teach about Jesus! "Jesus is a stumbling block..." Sad, but true!

GenTu

Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 AM

1,220 posts, read 986,683 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Once more....slowly this time.....I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS NO GOD.........

Second, I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS A GOD......

That is what atheist means. I have NO beliefs about the existence of your sky daddy.

And if you think there are no facts, you really shouldn't he saying "we have science". Science is based on what is measurable, you know, facts.

And more ad homs. You know nothing about my family besides that we surf. We are not hippies, we are not democrats, but you have proven that you take one fact, that I surf, and completely made up an entire story in your head. Sounds a lot like religion.
1st...You do believe that you do not believe there is no G-d. 2nd...you do believe that you do not believe there is a G-d. 3rd...you do believe that you have no beliefs about the existence of G-d. You are not an atheist...it is in and of itself an impossible thought that no one will ever accomplish...even if one were given 4 billlion years in which to work it out. Every thing you think, say, and do always begins with belief. Know therefore and understand that G-d is. This knowledge is not an aprori assumption...it is absolute.
What is even more curious is the fact that you do belive in G-d...otherwise you would have made no assumptions about what is absolute.
Being out on the ocean surfing, you of all people must know that the wind blows where G-d wills...so is every one born of the spirit...peas and hominy

Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Little witness, you are an atheist, as is everyone regarding the thousands of gods you do not believe in....

Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
1st...You do believe that you do not believe there is no G-d.
So do you believe that you believe there is a god? So you have a belief in what you believe? That would mean you trust yourself without proof that you trust in a god without proof. It that even logical?

Quote:
2nd...you do believe that you do not believe there is a G-d.
See above.

Quote:
3rd...you do believe that you have no beliefs about the existence of G-d. You are not an atheist...it is in and of itself an impossible thought that no one will ever accomplish...even if one were given 4 billlion years in which to work it out. Every thing you think, say, and do always begins with belief. Know therefore and understand that G-d is. This knowledge is not an aprori assumption...it is absolute.
umm...

Quote:
What is even more curious is the fact that you do belive in G-d...otherwise you would have made no assumptions about what is absolute.
This makes no sense. I can't even guess what you mean here.

Quote:
Being out on the ocean surfing, you of all people must know that the wind blows where G-d wills...so is every one born of the spirit...peas and hominy
As the sun heats the air on earth, it doesn't heat air above water the same as it heats air above land.
Because warm air rises and moves cold air out of the way, the air(being heated uneven) is then put into movement giving you wind.

This is a great site for beginners. http://www.kidsgeo.com/geography-for...c-pressure.php

Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
[b][color=DarkOrchid]As usual, these threads deteriorate into ego-based arguments . . ."my beliefs are better, saner, more reasonable than yours."

The actual SUBJECT of the thread regarding why Christianity is debunked, is completely ignored.
I tried to address it, along with others. The OP ran away when confronted with the reasons that letting believers run amok in our political system is dangerous for everyone involved. I guess he really wasn't interested in the answer after all.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I tried to address it, along with others. The OP ran away when confronted with the reasons that letting believers run amok in our political system is dangerous for everyone involved. I guess he really wasn't interested in the answer after all.
Same here. Wonder why?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Why does my brain think puppy dogs are cute and I want to hold one? What possible advantage does that ofer to my survivability vis a vis evolution? How do you know the brain isn't responding to your emotions with chemical reactions rather than creating them? I know my heart has ached in pain during very emotional times.
That's just logical, puppies are cute and pose no threat. Your heart can ache during pain without God as the reason. God's just your logical choice for the occurrence. That doesn't make it true. What is this game your God plays with people anyway? Why the multi choices, belief looks absurd when it plays out like a poker game. Doesn't it get embarrassing to have so many choices when God is so powerful?

At a purely chemical level, it would make sense we euthanize all disabled people who can't care for themselves. They eat up more than they produce, and are thus are a drain on limited resources. But we don't. What has gone wrong with our chemical processes that we would make such irrational decisions that negatively impact our own survivability?
Would it now? Not if your're intelligent enough to realize it might be you one day. That is why we don't euthanize everyone. It could be me one day and I won't like it, therefore I'm smart enough to know I shouldn't enforce the behavior.

I'll tell you one thing that surprises me time and time again. The lack of religious education, or education in general Christians have. I guess an educated follower just isn't a good idea. They might not follow, and that seems to be the point.

If I sat an Atheist and a Christian down and quizzed both on religion, 9 times out of 10 the Atheist would be more educated in it than the Christian. Why is that? You'd think the opposite would be true but most Christians seem to be limited in their education to just one faith. You'd do more shopping for a pair of shoes in comparison. Why so narrow minded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality