Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,319 times

Advertisements

About LargeKingCat

kind of North of the middle of nowhere, FL

ZIP Code

Previous locations
all over the USA

Interests
travel, cruises, philosophy, religion, socio-cultural mythology, sports, cooking, photography

Occupation
Artist, Philosopher and I get paid a bit to solve people's problems and fix them.

Education
College Grad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
About LargeKingCat

kind of North of the middle of nowhere, FL

ZIP Code

Previous locations
all over the USA

Interests
travel, cruises, philosophy, religion, socio-cultural mythology, sports, cooking, photography

Occupation
Artist, Philosopher and I get paid a bit to solve people's problems and fix them.

Education
College Grad
What else do you want to Know?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
HERE is one for you Grandpa...Is logos/reason/objectivity in a way an ability to use one's brain to solve problems and analyze answers, or does it just invlove one's ability to cut and paste information from elsewhere on the web, mostly wiki?

Now consider this: Wiki is basically an online encyclopedia. Now I do not know if you ever sat in a classroom, but from a young age, when we were taught how to do research papers, we had two items which were never to be used: Encyclopedias and textbooks. Textbooks are basic, common knowledge and outdated the moment they are printed (which is why each subsequent class in college is asked to purchase the most updated volume) As for encyclopedias including wiki, they are often inclusive of popular mythology as opposed to actual research.
SO far grandpa, with all due respect, we have seen none of that from your end. You started a discussion, then when the intellectuals showed up to engage, you ran off. If you want to make a poinnt about something, and you are less than knowledgable about it, then either phrase it as a question ie "I found this on wiki, could it be correct?" or show us some solid scientific evidence such as papers written by accepted leaders in these fields such as NEJM or APA. You may find your discussions taken a little more seriously.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM

you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am trying to prove something to you.

I dont care what you believe.

I have put this here to help educate those who are interested in it.

if you arent interested then ignore it.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 AM

Split brain behavioral experiments - YouTube

Old 06-29-2012, 06:03 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
What was your purpose in posting that video. You just threw it out there with no commentary. I am very familiar with split brain studies. I used to teach Intro. to Psychology courses at the University of Kansas as a graduate student and every semester I covered split brain studies and showed videos, it wasn't that one but it showed similar things.

Anyway, make your argument.

If you want to know my history, as you were interested in LargeKingKat's, I'll tell you. I attended Brigham Young University as an undergrad. I first studied Physics, then switched my major to Psychology. I graduated from BYU with a BS in Psychology and a Physics minor. I then attended a doctoral program in Clinical Psychology at the University of Kansas. I completed my MA in Psychology there, but failed to complete my Ph.D. I worked for a few years using my Masters Level Psychologist License mainly working with incarcerated sex offenders. I decided to make a career switch, and I now work as a Research Analyst for my state's Judicial Branch.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 AM

I am not here to argue

Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

If you really want to learn how the mind works...and then read "How the Mind Works" by Steven Pinker.

steven pinker describes the inner workings of the brain as many independant modules all sharing a blackboard.

each module reads what is written on the board then has the option of adding something to that board which will then be read by all the other modules.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
Earlier you said that I was misunderstanding what you were trying to say. Please, explain what you were trying to say in your original post.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM

if you have a specific question then I will be glad to try to answer it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality