Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
You do not believe religion was just made up as a way to control the masses? You really believe there is a "heaven and a hell?" You believe that a "man" has an extreme amount of healing power and was able to heal people? I'm playing Devi’s advocate and not attempting to be extremely tongue and cheek.
i don't so much think religion was made up for control (though it no doubt has a track record of that) as much as it was to answer questions about how we got here, the meaning of life all that jazz. i don't think that most people could accept the idea that your short time on earth is all there is, especially when they are spending all their time at work and living on the weekends, or somewhere else getting bombed, starving to death etc... the way we live our lives doesn't make that picture very appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
what is important is knowing Jesus and that has nothing to do with religion.
News to me.
I thought that guy actually had a whole religion based on him.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM

679 posts, read 1,439,386 times
Quote:
Well you can't fault him for all that mess.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
News to me.
By that guy, do you mean Jesus? If so what he offers us is salvation and a relationship with Him, not religion, that is man made.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:48 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Um... what is religion, exactly?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM

124 posts, read 700,339 times
Quote:
The more I think about it the only accepting people in religion are those that have no real religious denomination. When was the last time you saw a bunch of Agnostics or Atheist telling people how they should live there lives. However, you'll always get those Christian zealots telling everyone else how awful they are for not having religion etc fire and brimstone everyone that follows religion will go, because they're all hypocrites..
I am a Christian and I totally agree with your statement. I have never once met an Agnostic or an Atheist who was intolerant or bias because someone did not agree with their point of view. Usually the people who persecute others for their religious beliefs are those who are tied into organized religions or secret cults. However, there are religious people who are accepting of other religious beleifs.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Um... what is religion, exactly?
Might be worth looking through a few posts here http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ml#post1481645

Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
The more I think about it the only accepting people in religion are those that have no real religious denomination. When was the last time you saw a bunch of Agnostics or Atheist telling people how they should live there lives. However, you'll always get those Christian zealots telling everyone else how awful they are for not having religion etc fire and brimstone everyone that follows religion will go, because they're all hypocrites..
And it's likewise funny how the agnostics and atheists always want to start threads like this to take pot shots at Christians and stir us up.

Hmmmm....sounds like WE aren't the only ones who want to tell others how awful they are. So once again - who are the hypocrites?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
And it's likewise funny how the atheists always want to start threads like this to take pot shots at Christians and stir us up.

Hmmmm....sounds like WE aren't the only ones who want to tell others how awful they are. So tell me again - who are the hypocrites?
Once again, we all get to suffer through angry posts.
Everyone thinks the other is "taking pot-shots" and I'm willing to bet that none of the OPs would say they feel that they are posting to "stir up" anybody.
I think we can all see that there is a lot of anger going around (especially prevalent on the Philosophy and Religion board) but haven't we seen that nothing comes of it? Is it just me?

People are angry because of how they've been treated or how they've seen others be treated.
Why perpetuate it?

If you want the anger to stop showing up in posts, then stop responding to it in kind.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Once again, we all get to suffer through angry posts.
Everyone thinks the other is "taking pot-shots" and I'm willing to bet that none of the OPs would say they feel that they are posting to "stir up" anybody.
I think we can all see that there is a lot of anger going around (especially prevalent on the Philosophy and Religion board) but haven't we seen that nothing comes of it? Is it just me?

People are angry because of how they've been treated or how they've seen others be treated.
Why perpetuate it?

If you want the anger to stop showing up in posts, then stop responding to it in kind.
I'm not responding out of anger. I'm responding because I found the wording of the OP to be a bit ironic. Hey, what can I say? I cut right to the heart of things. I don't tiptoe around subjects.

To ME, it seems a bit hypocritical to start a thread which states Christians tell others how awful they are, but not realizing that those very words, in and of themselves, are basically calling Christians awful.

Once again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP. IS the OP calling Christians hypocrites? If not, then I apologize for misunderstanding the post. Perhaps I'm reading it the wrong way.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 09-28-2007 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality