U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you believe that there is no god?
Yes 43 74.14%
No 11 18.97%
I don't know what I believe. 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM

278 posts, read 160,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I claim there is no god as nobody has actually encountered one. For me to believe I would need to be able to test that god exists. I would also need reason to worship said god. A god that demands all we have and to worship them, while providing no reason to do so, is not worthy of it.
So all things that have not been encountered do not exist? Have you encountered my brother yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM

4,247 posts, read 2,146,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
So does that make it true?
No belief necessitates truth/facts. There is no veridical necessity without reasons. As such it then becomes an epsitemological endevor. Now which epeistemological methodology do you want to use for your beliefs? Do these beliefs warrant a greater probability than their opposite even if such a position warrants possibility. Your question never even approached such issues. I gave you an appropriate answer to the question you asked. If you want to get into the knowledege aspects of your beliefs, or mine, and how they correspond, or not, to reality then that would be a different question.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM

278 posts, read 160,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I believe that there are no gods.

My proof. When someone tells me a story about this or that god, or these or those gods, I don't believe it.

No evidence that has yet been provided to me has changed my mind.
I believe in fairies and no evidence has ever been presented that has changed my mind.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,111,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Civility, usually met in kind with the civility I hear too frequently from theists, "your are going to hell" and all the other Pascal's Wager nonsense.
Honesty, I think you will find that atheists are inherently more honest than the average theist. Year of doing business in the bible belt I learned quickly that the word of a man that wears his religion on sleeve is frequently worthless.
And without rational, and discussion is pretty pointless, a scripted etiquette lesson at best.

Seems that it is typically the theist that is telling others what to think. I attempt to challenge others "to" think.
Hurt people hurt people.

On another note, I find it absolutly amazing that your methods/methods you employ in attempting to convert others to your way of thinking are almost identical to the techniques employed by Louis Farrakahn. No offense to Mr. Farrakahn but continous lazy thinking, blaming all for a few, gets old on the ears pretty quick.

Last edited by gabfest; 07-07-2012 at 05:04 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 04:51 AM

2,506 posts, read 997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
So all things that have not been encountered do not exist? Have you encountered my brother yet?
No, but you and others have. There is probably several documents/records and photos proving his existence. The same cannot be said about god.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 AM

2,506 posts, read 997,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Evidence, Schmividence . . .everything is based on belief . . .even your non-belief is a belief. It's all constructed through language and environmental influences.
Wrong! I do not believe I am sitting infront of a computer typing this. I know for a fact that I am as I have proof that I am. I do not believe I am drinking a beer right now because it tastes so darn good, I know for a fact I am because there is a beer infront of me that pleases my tastebuds. I don't believe I nearly kill someone who broke into my home and tried to hurt me, I know I did as he and I have the scars to prove it. I do not believe I am breathing, I know I am as my lungs are inhaling oxygen delivering it where it is needed in my body and exhaling and removing carbon dioxide from it. I don't believe that your comment is illogical, I know it is as I have just proven it so.

Most things in life are based on knowledge and evidence.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 AM

3,449 posts, read 1,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Asheville,

I don't even need rational, I would settle for honesty and civility. Trying to tell someone else what the "really" believe like you know better is just rude! If you are not willing to listen to the other party in a conversation, you should just keep quiet... the grownups are trying to have a conversation. If you are not willing to have an honest discussion, you are the equivalent of a telemarketer, a telephone pollster, a door to door encyclopedia salesman, or that annoying wrong number with a fax machine on the other end.

I mean, I don't think some of flipflops positions are necessarily logical, but he is nice about it and is willing to talk about it. I learn something about him and his beliefs and often about myself and my own beliefs.

Sorry I get so het up about it, but I have just been noticing it more and more. I am very interesting in discussing just about anything, and there are so many who will just not engage. Why even be here? I know you have a point, I did it too when I was a believer. I went to camp to learn how to do it better. Witnessing that behavior from the other side just seems so... icky.

-NoCapo
Nice try....big decency speech leaving a dump in a pail for all to enjoy.
It is said....I do not believe in a God....

I don't think there is any real argument from the theist camp. If an individual does not believe in a God, then we would know if there is a God, the God would not believe in the individual. There is no common ground to enable an association. If there is a God which I believe, the understood affirmed atheist on Gods behalf would be no more than an understood mechanical mechanism within operations....thats it. Reason is reason. So the atheist is right, relative to a God and his or herself....there is no God. Everyone is correct. Reason is reliable.

Last edited by stargazzer; 07-07-2012 at 05:51 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 AM

267 posts, read 93,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Nice try....big decency speech leaving a dump in a pail for all to enjoy.
It is said....I do not believe in a God....

I don't think there is any real argument from the theist camp. If an individual does not believe in a God, then we would know if there is a God, the God would not believe in the individual. There is no common ground to enable an association. If there is a God which I believe, the understood affirmed atheist on Gods behalf would be no more than an understood mechanical mechanism within operations....thats it. Reason is reason. So the atheist is right, relative to a God and his or herself....there is no God. Everyone is correct. Reason is reliable.
Hahahahahaha, another one who knows what god thinks, chica boom!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 AM

3,449 posts, read 1,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Na'vi View Post
Hahahahahaha, another one who knows what god thinks, chica boom!
no...just what is reasonable to assume. BTW great laugh...hang on to it, I think it goes all the way back to neandy times

Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 AM

5,434 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Oh joy, another thread where someone tries to elicit reactions out of atheists by pretending the burden of proof lies on them.

Again, for those trying to rile people up by pretending they do not already know this: The idea there is a god is not just slightly, but ENTIRELY unsubstantiated at this time. More than that we do not need to know, show or claim. But that is the painful fact you so readily run away from cowering by pretending people have to prove there is "no god".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality