Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that there is no god?
Yes 43 74.14%
No 11 18.97%
I don't know what I believe. 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Jdaelectro, please take this to heart. On this thread and in countless others, many of us non-thieists have tried to explain to you theists what we do and don't believe. If you want to discuss the logic of our point of view, please be so good as to actually start from it, not from some caricature. You don't have to agree with us, but the least you could do is listen.

-NoCapo

P.S. This is also the reason my posts tend to be very long and very wordy. I have learned that when discussing these things with theists, you have to be incredibly precise in your language.
The problem is that you are trying to reason with those that are irrational.

For a theist to listen to a viewpoint counter to theirs would indicate they might be questioning their views, and we certainly know that questioning is frowned upon to being declared an out right sin.

They are like the dog trained to an invisible fence, the dog learn to fear the shock administered by the collar it wears by going too close to the line. The theist shy's from anything close to 'questioning' and simply cannot listen out of fear it might be viewed as questioning, for like the dog has been programmed to react so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM

511 posts, read 491,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The problem is that you are trying to reason with those that are irrational.

For a theist to listen to a viewpoint counter to theirs would indicate they might be questioning their views, and we certainly know that questioning is frowned upon to being declared an out right sin.

They are like the dog trained to an invisible fence, the dog learn to fear the shock administered by the collar it wears by going too close to the line. The theist shy's from anything close to 'questioning' and simply cannot listen out of fear it might be viewed as questioning, for like the dog has been programmed to react so.
Ah...the ol' "those who think differently than me are irrational but those who believe what I believe are free thinkers" argument...pretty convincing...and oh so tolerant. Haha

Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Asheville,

I don't even need rational, I would settle for honesty and civility. Trying to tell someone else what the "really" believe like you know better is just rude! If you are not willing to listen to the other party in a conversation, you should just keep quiet... the grownups are trying to have a conversation. If you are not willing to have an honest discussion, you are the equivalent of a telemarketer, a telephone pollster, a door to door encyclopedia salesman, or that annoying wrong number with a fax machine on the other end.

I mean, I don't think some of flipflops positions are necessarily logical, but he is nice about it and is willing to talk about it. I learn something about him and his beliefs and often about myself and my own beliefs.

Sorry I get so het up about it, but I have just been noticing it more and more. I am very interesting in discussing just about anything, and there are so many who will just not engage. Why even be here? I know you have a point, I did it too when I was a believer. I went to camp to learn how to do it better. Witnessing that behavior from the other side just seems so... icky.

-NoCapo

Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Precise or blunt, we still seem to be constantly defining atheism, and it usually goes right over their heads, because the same posters keep repeating the same nonsense.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
its folklore to help people deal with the fear of dying

Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i thought apache chief was god

Challenge of the Superfriends Intro - YouTube

Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Ah...the ol' "those who think differently than me are irrational but those who believe what I believe are free thinkers" argument...pretty convincing...and oh so tolerant. Haha
Before it could be considered thinking, there must be a rational conclusion based on knowledge.

To merely regurgitate passages, often out of context, which does require the ability to memorize, is not thinking, but response by what was learned by rote.

How many times have you heard someone say (or said) "because it's in the bible" or similar.

No one takes ancient medical texts to their doctor and demand that 'cures' documented in ancient times be use to treat them, such as blood letting. Yet use a book that contains ancient knowledge and as outdated as old medical books, as an unquestionable source to base their life on.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 PM

664 posts, read 773,342 times
Don't know, don't care. Guess you could call me an apathetic agnostic.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Evidence, Schmividence . . .everything is based on belief . . .even your non-belief is a belief. It's all constructed through language and environmental influences.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Asheville,

I don't even need rational, I would settle for honesty and civility. Trying to tell someone else what the "really" believe like you know better is just rude!
Civility, usually met in kind with the civility I hear too frequently from theists, "your are going to hell" and all the other Pascal's Wager nonsense.
Honesty, I think you will find that atheists are inherently more honest than the average theist. Year of doing business in the bible belt I learned quickly that the word of a man that wears his religion on sleeve is frequently worthless.
And without rational, and discussion is pretty pointless, a scripted etiquette lesson at best.

Seems that it is typically the theist that is telling others what to think. I attempt to challenge others "to" think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality